• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Advice for a new cricket fan

drez0109

Cricket Spectator
Hey all,

I'm new to the site and have a question as someone who is very new to the sport. I'm an American, so Cricket is basically non existant here. I've recently gotten interested in the sport after hearing about the Cricket World Cup on various english radio stations I listen to and news sites I read for football news. I'm a big baseball fan and from what I've read and seen about cricket so far, it seems very interesting to me.

As an American with little to no exposure here, I'm curious for any advice on how to become a fan of the sport. I'm a little overwhelmed with how the various international competitions work. Also, are there any domestic leagues besides the IPL to follow? How easy is it to follow various international competitions/leagues on the internet since there is practically no cricket coverage on TV here. Finally, any advice on sites to read to keep up with cricket news?

Thanks so much!!

Spark

Global Moderator
Welcome to the forums, and to the cricket-watching community.

First off, go to cricinfo.com and make this your #1 resource. All the relevant international and a lot of domestic news is here. Each international match (in all three forms of the game) is covered ball-by-ball so you know what's going on (although it's clearly no substitute for watching the match).

juro

U19 12th Man
Other websites that may interest you are:

*DreamCricket.com - USA 's Cricket community
*New York Cricket
*CricketEurope which has information on lower level cricket nations (eg USA)

The best way I have of comprehending cricket relative to baseball is:
* they are both bat and ball games BUT...
* in baseball it is hard to score runs, easy to get someone out
* in cricket it is easy to score runs, hard to get someone out

So they pressure is mainly on the pitcher in baseball. One bad pitch could give away 4 runs and lose the game. Conversely, the pressure is mainly on the batter in cricket. One loose shot and you don't get to bat again.

salman85

International Debutant
Welcome drez

People have already mentioned the webites that might interest you.In terms of the league,you could follow the Big Bash in Australia along with the IPL.

And also,for the moment,i'd advice that you stick to T20s and stay away from watching Test Cricket.There are 3 formats in the game right now,and starting from the simplest one would be the best option currently.

Spark

Global Moderator
Mmm, going straight from baseball to Tests might be too much of a culture shock.

Maybe ODIs as a good mix of the hitting of T20s but the ebb/flow of Tests, but you'll have to find a way to get through the middle-over lulls.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hey mate, welcome to the forums and welcome to the sport.

Best thing to do is watch a few World Cup matches on TV, it'll give you a good introduction to the major teams, and TV commentators will often explain what's going on. Don't worry about tactics or jargon for now, that'll come.

For the record - cricket is just like baseball, except that it's completely different. :happy:

Spark

Global Moderator
First of all. Watch this. The greatest ODI in the history of the game

YouTube - Semi Final 1999 South Africa vs Australia

Then if you want, watch the videos (part 1 to 6 if you have the time) in this link. It's the arguably the 2nd greatest ODI of all time.

YouTube - australia south africa 434
Haha, I watched the last over of that yesterday. Still makes me giggle like a 10-year old when I see Donald (I think) drop his bat... Bill Lawry commentating just makes it twelve thousand times funnier.

EDIT: In addition to what Howe_zat said, it might be good to concentrate on the major teams slugging it out. For the record they are

Australia
India
South Africa
Sri Lanka
England
Pakistan
West Indies
New Zealand
Bangladesh (well, in this WC they have a real shot of making the quarters, so that counts)

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
and, while u fall in love with this most glorious of sports, it is always good to remember during moments of doubt:

cricket is to baseball
what philosophy is to accounting

Blaze 18

Banned
Welcome on board, drez0109!

Three things you should know :

1) There are three formats : Tests, ODIs, T20s.

2) Australia are the most successful side in the history of cricket.

3) Sir Donald Bradman is the greatest cricketer of all time.

Cricket Rules - Cricket Rules

Jayzamann

International Regular
Cricket is exactly like baseball.

Just with several big differences.

And thousands of smaller ones.