• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Kallis rate as a batsman alone?

Blaze 18

Banned
A brilliant batsman, but a rung below the ***all-time greats*** for mine. He is up there with the likes of Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
He wins test matches for his team...lots of them
Top 10 batsman no doubt.
Top 5 cricketer.
Come at me Kallis haters.

akilana

International 12th Man
He's behind Lara, Sachin and Ponting.. but if he keeps this up for another one or two years, he would join them. IMO

Shri

Mr. Glass
As good as Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar. Not as aggressive as those 3 but dependable. Obviously a better cricketer than those 3, all things considered(batting/bowling/slip catching)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
As good as Lara, Ponting and Tendulkar. Not as aggressive as those 3 but dependable. Obviously a better cricketer than those 3, all things considered(batting/bowling/slip catching)
You won't have Dravid there then?

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Tier 1-
V Richards, Lara, Bradman, Tendulkar and Sobers.

Tier 2 (Post 1975) -
Chappell, Gavaskar, Waugh, Ponting, Dravid & Kallis.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the next 6 months mirror the last 6, I'd have no hesitation saying he's better than Ponting.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally think we should wait a bit before downgrading Ponting from the Tendulkar/Lara company. He might yet come out of this patch, especially if he has the captaincy taken off his shoulders.

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
Quite simply Kallis is in the same league as Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Of course he's a lot more boring than the 3 mentioned above. As a purist I enjoy watching Kallis almost unshakeable technique, but of course Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting were far entertaining. This does not put them in a different league, it only makes them more watchable. Kallis may score a 100 and Lara may score a 100 in the same circumstances, Lara's will be far more entertaining and memorable, but in terms of what they offer the team it's pretty much the same. Yes Lara might be faster but it's test cricket, there are 5 days and sometimes it can be good to take time out of the game. So Kallis might be less of a matchwinner and more of a match saver, but I don't see why Lara turning a draw into a potential win is any better than Kallis turning a loss into a potential draw.

I would have Lara and Tendulkar ahead of him but not by much, and Ponting due to his recent slump (yes it is that close) on a level with him. Dravid would be maybe very slightly less than those 2. But the point is it's all very close.

As for those who don't think Kallis is a matchwinner, just because we dont see him scoring dramatic 4th innings hundreds doesnt mean he isnt. I havent bothered to check, but I have seen plenty of matches where Kallis has set up a match by scoring a first innings hundred.

As an overall test player he is easily the best of the last 20 years, and I'm not a South African or Kallis fanboy. I just get frustrated with his lack of hype, not neccesarily so much on these boards but among the general public.

Blaze 18

Banned
Quite simply Kallis is in the same league as Lara, Tendulkar and Ponting and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.
That is harsh. There is no uniform set of criteria that people use to rate a player. Everyone is allowed to have their opinion, and opinions are seldom right or wrong.