• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn

Bazza

International 12th Man
Most Individual Runs in a Session (First Class)

Based on all matches to 1994-95 season.

Most runs in pre lunch session:
197 by W.R.Endean in 180 mins
(Transvaal v OFS, Johannesburg, 1954-55)
In the usual 120-min session:
180 by D.C.S.Compton
(MCC v NE Transvaal, Benoni, 1948-49).

Most runs between lunch and tea:
231 by C.G.Macartney
(Australians v Notts, Nottingham, 1921).

Most runs between tea and stumps:
160 by N.H.Fairbrother
(Lancashire v Middlesex, Manchester, 1994).

Trivia: Fairbrother is the only player in the first-class
cricket to have scored 100 runs in all three sessions of a
day's play (100, 108 and 103) during his innings of 366 v
Surrey, The Oval, 1990.

Little bit out of date then but certainly not a record by Martyn.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Martyn ended up scoring 165 runs in a session that must be close to a record anyone know what the record is????
Tough one - I imagine that this sort of record isn't kept though :(

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
sure it is.....the amount of sad people who keep records etc...is unbelievable just like the nu,ber of people posting on the web endlessley ie u

:D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Tough one - I imagine that this sort of record isn't kept though :(
You posted that six hours after Bazza posted the definitive records...

Martyn in the CC, 2003:

87 retired hurt, 238. Average = 325.00

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:

Trivia: Fairbrother is the only player in the first-class
cricket to have scored 100 runs in all three sessions of a
day's play (100, 108 and 103) during his innings of 366 v
Surrey, The Oval, 1990.
Lara in 1994?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only 1-2 years ago I would have compaired Martyn to somone like Gibb's attacking wise allthough Matyn has a much diffrent batting style & better techneque.
Oooo, big call there! Possibly too tough to pick because I happen to think Gibb's technique is somewhere in the vicinity of flawless and he generally gets out when he's trying to be a little too belligerent or loses his head. Martyn tends to hit up when playing off the back-foot but other than that, I see no obvious flaws either.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
Oooo, big call there! Possibly too tough to pick because I happen to think Gibb's technique is somewhere in the vicinity of flawless and he generally gets out when he's trying to be a little too belligerent or loses his head. Martyn tends to hit up when playing off the back-foot but other than that, I see no obvious flaws either.
I think Gibbs tends to leave a gap between bat and pad at times, but generally he's pretty good.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I think Gibbs tends to leave a gap between bat and pad at times, but generally he's pretty good.
That and he get's himself clean bowled alot or though they are probably both related.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Seems to play on quite a lot to me. Once is unlucky, but it happened so much this summer I did begin to wonder...

Mr Mxyzptlk

The thing that I appreciate about Gibbs is his willingness to adapt. I remember in the WC v SL when he opened his stance to more effectively combat Vaas.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
390 in the day, correct, but not 100 in each session

Close of Day 3: 111*
Lunch: 285* (174 runs)
Tea: 418* (133 runs)
Close: 501* (83 runs)

I think he was fairly knackered by the evening session.