• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Damien Martyn

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
age_master said:
his OD fast 50 hardly counts, he has played like that once in his career. In test matches, as he seems to play a fairly defensive role usually, well it Love has better defense and has a better range of shots, and is therefore less likley to be pinned down. to score like Martyn did in the recent game against Bangladesh he had to pinch hit basically, if he did that more often his average would go down, but it would be entertaining....
Needless to say I was not impressed with Love when I say him play earlier this year. He looked to be the epitome of slow scoring.

Martyn has proven himself a class batsman. Chanderpaul is a similar batsman. He doesn't generally score at lightening pace, but he can and he plays vital knocks on a regular basis.

Craig

World Traveller
At times last summer Martyn was gulity of batting just for his average. So what if Love is a slow scoring player, at least he gets the runs.

And it he must be quick enough to get a double hundred in on the first day against England at Hobart.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I still don't see what Martyn has done to deserve this criticism.

Remember, Ponting did not win the WC alone. Ponting and Martyn (as well as Tendulkar - for that silly shot) won the WC for Australia. He is the player who the other free-scoring batsmen can bat around whilst he plays the spine to the innings.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
TESTS
(including 02/01/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 33 52 9 2000 133 46.51 50.95 5 13 15 0

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 33 9 98 2 49.00 1-0 0 0 99.0 2.96

ONE-DAY INTERNATIONALS
(including 06/08/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 126 106 35 3025 144* 42.60 79.37 4 17 49 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 132.2 2 704 12 58.66 2-21 0 0 66.1 5.31

FIRST-CLASS
(1990/91 - 2003; last updated 16/09/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 163 274 39 11539 203* 49.10 34 61 133 2

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 522.5 138 1465 36 40.69 4-30 0 0 87.1 2.80

LIST A LIMITED OVERS
(1991/92 - 2003; last updated 15/09/2003)
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 Ct St
Batting & Fielding 209 183 48 5856 144* 43.37 8 37 81 0

O M R W Ave BBI 4w 5w SR Econ
Bowling 258.1 7 1300 41 31.70 3-3 0 0 37.7 5.03

those stats are hardly bad

Top_Cat

At times last summer Martyn was gulity of batting just for his average. So what if Love is a slow scoring player, at least he gets the runs.
Care to offer some substantiation for this?

For mine, Damien Martyn looked to be a player vastly out of form, yet he was still able to stick around and score a couple of 50's. He scored a little slower last year because I don't think he was feeling on top of his game. That he still made runs is indicative of his maturity. It was always said about Allan Border that even when out of form, he could still score a 50. The fact Martyn can now do this shows he may just have turned the corner and is probably the reason that the selectors have stuck with him and will continue to stick with him over all the others.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
what the hell is the crap about him being defensove, maybe true in tests but look at dravid for godsake..and martyn is a quality attack-minded batsman in ods

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
It ain't over for Martyn yet... if he's good enough, he's in. Love may be the unlucky victim.

And then there is Michael Clarke knocking on the door too. But I think he'll have to wait before Waugh retires before he can get a run in the test team...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:

For mine, Damien Martyn looked to be a player vastly out of form, yet he was still able to stick around and score a couple of 50's. He scored a little slower last year because I don't think he was feeling on top of his game. That he still made runs is indicative of his maturity. It was always said about Allan Border that even when out of form, he could still score a 50. The fact Martyn can now do this shows he may just have turned the corner and is probably the reason that the selectors have stuck with him and will continue to stick with him over all the others.
They were my thought's exactly. I dont think Martyn was ever playing for his avrage.

And he's not deffensive he is actualy quite an attacking batsman. Just look at Kallis or Dravid they are quality batsman but they score decidedly slower than Damian Martyn.

Craig

World Traveller
Dont think for a minute I am having a go at Martyn, I just wanted to know who should the selectors should do for.

Craig

World Traveller
Top_Cat said:

A few times in the VB Series and in the Ashes?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
In aid of settling the "slow scoring" argument:

Today it's Yorkshire v Gloucestershire in the CC at Headingley.

Yorkshire won the toss and batted, but it was swinging around a bit and Mike Smith dismissed Craig White first ball and before the 75 minutes were up, Ian Harvey had captured Anthony McGrath (28) and Michael Lumb (4) to leave the hosts 51/3.

Enter Damien Martyn.

It's now tea. Yorkshire are 380/3.

Damien Martyn is 222* in 205 minutes off 148 balls with 35 fours and seven sixes (182 runs in 42 boundaries).

Matthew Wood is 116* in 277 minutes off 234 balls with 18 fours and two sixes.

The partnership stands unbroken at 329*.

A few thoughts (thanks Wisden):

Highest FC Partnership ever: 577 (VS Hazare/Gul Mahomed, Baroda v Holkar, 1946/47)

Highest UK Partnership: 555 (P Holmes/H Sutcliffe, Yorkshire v Essex, 1932)

There have only been seven 500 stands, and two in England

Most Sixes in Innings: 16 (A Symonds, Gloucs v Glam, 1995)

Most Boundaries in Innings: 72 (BC Lara, Warwicks v Durham, 1994)

Most Runs from Boundaries: 308 (62*4=248)+(10*6=60) (Lara)

Warwickshire lost to Lancashire in 1982 despite a 470-run stand for the fourth wicket between Alvin Kallicharan and Geoff Humpage

Yorkshire must beat Gloucestershire to be promoted in their place

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Wood, caught sub, bowled Gidman, 116, fourth ball after tea.

Knew that would happen. Stand ends at 330.

Gidman 10.4-0-87-1 (0/86 at tea).

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
D. Martyn 238 off 159 balls including 7 6s! Got his 200 off 128. Wow that's slow :rolleyes:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
D. Martyn 238 off 159 balls including 7 6s! Got his 200 off 128. Wow that's slow :rolleyes:
It's another shocking example of his terrible slow scoring (despite being quicker in ODI's than most of the Aussies whilst averaging up amongst them!)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Apart from last year when his form was scratchy & he was hitting almost evrything square on the offside he has always batted like that.(maybe not quite so fast)

Age _master ether never used to watch Martyn bat before 2002 or he just has a very short memory.

I have alway's thought of Martyn as one of the best stroke makers in the Australian team when he is on song.

Only 1-2 years ago I would have compaired Martyn to somone like Gibb's attacking wise allthough Matyn has a much diffrent batting style & better techneque.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Martyn ended up scoring 165 runs in a session that must be close to a record anyone know what the record is????