• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cribbage's Standardised Test Averages (UPDATED November 2018 - posts 753-755)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't think it is either, I'm just wondering whether the measure Prince_EWS used though was linear.
It doesn't actually work even remotely in the way you think it does which is why I didn't answer, but the answer is basically no. :p

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I know you used some kind of combination between matches played/years playing etc. (plus I'm sure more intricacies)...was just simplifying it for the sake of making the question more clear.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Crabb. Say I can organise so your findings could be published in a journal. Would you be interested?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Well, get with the ****ing program, because every other bastard is.
Nah, I was discussing with NUFAN if for players with very high longevity the difference in longevity has 'ANY' significance...He said it doesn't...I asked him who is a better player between player 1 (average 55.09 for 18 years) and player 2 (average 55.01 for 20 years)...He's silent ever since...

Where have McGrath and Walsh come in this?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Haha. Let me give you a brain-teaser. Who has the better career among 2 following batsmen (other things being constant) - one with an average of 55.09 over 18 years, the other with an average of 55.01 over 20 years?
Weldone, I'm going to have to politely pass. I need more facts (I know it says all things constant).

benchmark00

I can't organise that ftr. Just wondering.

srsly though, there was some **** on tv a while back who was doing a phd on stats or being a **** or something, and he had a statistical rankings system and had it spat out Tendulkar being better than Bradman (or maybe it was the other way around, can't remember). Surely if that **** can get a gig then so can you.

Spark

Global Moderator
I guess if you really wanted to, just find your local uni - assuming it's a decent uni - and look around the stats department for a cricket nut.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't organise that ftr. Just wondering.
Yeah, was expecting that. Wasn't gonna lie though.

srsly though, there was some **** on tv a while back who was doing a phd on stats or being a **** or something, and he had a statistical rankings system and had it spat out Tendulkar being better than Bradman (or maybe it was the other way around, can't remember). Surely if that **** can get a gig then so can you.
:laugh:

The fact that I'm not even remotely qualified to do any of this on paper will ensure it's a hobby/general waste of time only. I probably couldn't even get hired to write the program I wrote to do the task even if someone else came up with the stats stuff, because I have no genuine programming qualifications, despite obviously being able to actually do it. ****s with stats PHDs will always be taken more seriously in this field than lazy cricket-obsessed ****s with Economics degrees who play with numbers on VB.net in their spare time, regardless of how rubbish the findings of the former seem. For good reason too, probably.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I disagree Prince. There are so many ways to be heard and taken seriously if you really wanted to. I do suggest a quite tweaking of your system though before publishing, lol.

benchmark00

Uni I went to had an English guy as the Dean of Commerce. Lectured me in stats when he first arrived. Was a ****ing legend and a cricketing enthusiast. Could pass on some deets to you if you want Cribbage. Would be a good place to start.

benchmark00

lawl, just l00king at this blokes staff page:

Research Interests

– Application of statistics and artificial intelligence techniques to manufacturing
– Simulation and modelling of manufacturing systems and supply chains
– Quality engineering and multimedia based teaching techniques

Spark

Global Moderator
A hell of a lot of papers start out as random coffee-table gossip about nothing in particular.

Lostman

State Captain
Won't be that hard to find a professor willing to advise stat research like this. You should be able to spin it to interest them.
Also helps if they are a cricket fan and most importantly a new professor that is on tenure track.:p