• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan asked to clean up or face sanctions (possibly even suspension)

smash84

The Tiger King
It seems that the ICC in its last meeting of cricket boards has finally decided to come down hard on PCB (it's about time I should think).

Osman Samiuddin tells how bad the situation really is.

Osman Samiuddin: How low can the PCB go? | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

The irony is that Giles Clarke will head a committee to whom Ijaz Butt will have to report.

I hope that Giles Clarke really puts Butt under the hammer and makes him resign.

What do you guys think? Is the threat of suspension very real as Osman puts it?

Flem274*

123/5
Suspension is likely if more dirt is uncovered. This is good news for Pakistan, though it would be best if Butt was removed. They need someone half competent to begin rebuilding under.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Inevitable really, and a damned shame for the fans and players (those who haven't contributed to the mess in any case). Potentially a good thing, but see this as a prelude to the ICC starting to level some serious penalties - suspensions from major tourneys, etc. Obviously the best thing the current board of the PCB could do would be to resign and withdraw from any involvement in the game to allow a fresh start, but I expect to see that the same day I see Chuck Norris crying.

smash84

The Tiger King
Inevitable really, and a damned shame for the fans and players (those who haven't contributed to the mess in any case). Potentially a good thing, but see this as a prelude to the ICC starting to level some serious penalties - suspensions from major tourneys, etc. Obviously the best thing the current board of the PCB could do would be to resign and withdraw from any involvement in the game to allow a fresh start, but I expect to see that the same day I see Chuck Norris crying.
But having no international cricket might spell doom for the game in the country. A temporary withdrawal from now till the beginning of the world cup might be a good idea. But that is probably only one series against south africa.

Xuhaib

International Coach
probably a better option the current setup is going to get us in more mess(if that is possible) if they continue. Will sound like a broken record but Pakistan has the raw material to be a consistent top 4 nation if the administration do their work properly.

Flem274*

123/5
probably a better option the current setup is going to get us in more mess(if that is possible) if they continue. Will sound like a broken record but Pakistan has the raw material to be a consistent top 4 nation if the administration do their work properly.
You've got the ability to produce bowlers out of thin air but the batsmen I've seen from you guys have me worried tbh. In the past even the weaker Pakistani batsmen were good against spin and adequate against pace, but the coaching over there at youth level must have gone downwards rapidly in the late 90s because apart from Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam the quality of potential batsmen has plummeted. Guys are coming into the side with awesome FC records but just don't look up to much at the higher level.

Pity imo because MoYo (as frustrating as he is atm) and YK are so good to watch.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
You've got the ability to produce bowlers out of thin air but the batsmen I've seen from you guys have me worried tbh. In the past even the weaker Pakistani batsmen were good against spin and adequate against pace, but the coaching over there at youth level must have gone downwards rapidly in the late 90s because apart from Umar Akmal and Fawad Alam the quality of potential batsmen has plummeted. Guys are coming into the side with awesome FC records but just don't look up to much at the higher level.

Pity imo because MoYo (as frustrating as he is atm) and YK are so good to watch.
as I said admin is at fault Pakistan is the only country that has won multiple youth WC's in this decade so that shows natural talent wise Pak is right up there it's the period between U 19's and Int cricket where players go astray and with a stronger top management this problem can be reduced also a lot of our recent selections are not on merit but based on political connections re Farhat,Malik,Faisal.

Matt79

Global Moderator
But having no international cricket might spell doom for the game in the country. A temporary withdrawal from now till the beginning of the world cup might be a good idea. But that is probably only one series against south africa.
Why should current PCB board resigning equal no international cricket?

smash84

The Tiger King
Why should current PCB board resigning equal no international cricket?
Oh you had said about the current board management. I thought you were referring to PCB's membership within the ICC and that PCB should resign from its ICC membership and hence withdraw from international cricket.

Fat chance that this management will resign. It's full of corrupt individuals like the government itself.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah....its kinda ****ed up. Decades and no proper anti corruption measures and ICC expects from this administration to implement something in 30 days.....ICC must suspend the board and make the task force take over....

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah....its kinda ****ed up. Decades and no proper anti corruption measures and ICC expects from this administration to implement something in 30 days.....ICC must suspend the board and make the task force take over....
Now that sounds like a good idea :)

Shri

Mr. Glass
Fixing your problems by yourself is the only way forward. Can't depend on third parties all the time. Not good for the future once again.

Faisal1985

Fixing your problems by yourself is the only way forward. Can't depend on third parties all the time. Not good for the future once again.
Then its never going to happen. Not until the bloody patron in chief stops interfering and appointing Butt holes as chairmen of the board.

Faisal1985

make nothing of it........Butt will probably only go once this government goes.......
Yeah...but this government has at least 2-3 more years to go....unless PML and other parties force an election and oust them....seems too unlikely now that SC keeps on adjourning the matters with NRO.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Osman Samiuddin on the money as usual.

How low can the PCB go?

This self-felicitation by Zardari and his appointee is sickening.
And why talk of future potential of U19s. There are enough untainted players of very high caliber today - only the PCB can think of keeping someone like Younis on the sidelines..