• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th innings chases - which is the best place to do it?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The commentators said today that if India win this match, it would be the fourth highest successful chase ever in India. I was wondering which country is the best place for successful fourth innings chases. Obviously, the average fourth innings runs/wicket would be a pretty good metric.

Australia are on top, but all the countries are surprisingly close.

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

However, the win percentage in India is really low compared to the other countries around it in that table - 0.76. Only New Zealand out of the non-minnow nations is lower. The corresponding figure in Australia is 1.78. Any thoughts for why that might be the case? Are there any other interesting stats to track this?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
The commentators said today that if India win this match, it would be the fourth highest successful chase ever in India. I was wondering which country is the best place for successful fourth innings chases. Obviously, the average fourth innings runs/wicket would be a pretty good metric.

Australia are on top, but all the countries are surprisingly close.

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

However, the win percentage in India is really low compared to the other countries around it in that table - 0.76. Only New Zealand out of the non-minnow nations is lower. The corresponding figure in Australia is 1.78. Any thoughts for why that might be the case? Are there any other interesting stats to track this?
You are viewing the stat according to the 'batting country'. Australia comes on top because they've had the best batting line-ups historically.

If you want to know 'where' scoring runs in 4th inning is tough, you need to view the stat according to 'host countries', as I've done in the post above.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You are viewing the stat according to the 'batting country'. Australia comes on top because they've had the best batting line-ups historically.

If you want to know 'where' scoring runs in 4th inning is tough, you need to view the stat according to 'host countries', as I've done in the post above.
Duh! Thanks for pointing out the error. Yeah, that was what I was looking for.