• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in Dubai

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
this lot cant even bat on flat tracks Lords was flat and they got rolled over for 74 and 147 the batting is minnow standard nowdays for Pakistan.
True that....

In the ODIs there was some hope actually especially for the opening got us some half decent starts...but in the middle overs Swann sucked the life out of the runs.

Barring the fixing and stuff...Kamran has become a decent opener for ODIs and T20s...
For me Alam and Umar Akmal need to work quite a bit on their technique and temperament if we want to get anywhere close to a quarter final/semi final spot in the WC....the way YK Inzi and Mo Yo used to accumulate runs in the middle order is a massive weak link in this batting line up.

I guess its all too late now for the "rebuilding" to start. They certainly should bring Younis Khan back...

Xuhaib

International Coach
True that....

In the ODIs there was some hope actually especially for the opening got us some half decent starts...but in the middle overs Swann sucked the life out of the runs.

Barring the fixing and stuff...Kamran has become a decent opener for ODIs and T20s...
For me Alam and Umar Akmal need to work quite a bit on their technique and temperament if we want to get anywhere close to a quarter final/semi final spot in the WC....the way YK Inzi and Mo Yo used to accumulate runs in the middle order is a massive weak link in this batting line up.

I guess its all too late now for the "rebuilding" to start. They certainly should bring Younis Khan back...
6 months back I did mention that in between Aamer and Umer Akmal Aamer is the special one while Umer's honeymoon period will be over soon and then we see how he develops from there.The lad is certainly talented but he needs some mentoring and instead of his brother he should hang out with the Y's and learn the art of building an innings, Fawad I am not convinced he seems to have a good heart and attitude but I do think he is short of international standard.

If it was up to me I will get the Y's back as soon as possible and complete the middle order with Asad Shafiq and Umer Akmal.

Umer Amin is one guy who I think should be persisted with as I do feel he does have the game to make it really big at international level provided his temperament can match up to his technique.

Faisal1985

6 months back I did mention that in between Aamer and Umer Akmal Aamer is the special one while Umer's honeymoon period will be over soon and then we see how he develops from there.The lad is certainly talented but he needs some mentoring and instead of his brother he should hang out with the Y's and learn the art of building an innings, Fawad I am not convinced he seems to have a good heart and attitude but I do think he is short of international standard.

If it was up to me I will get the Y's back as soon as possible and complete the middle order with Asad Shafiq and Umer Akmal.

Umer Amin is one guy who I think should be persisted with as I do feel he does have the game to make it really big at international level provided his temperament can match up to his technique.
AWTA.

Asad Shafiq and Umar Amin are certainly bright prospects and should be given as much chance to play as possible against SA and NZ. I just hope that both don't disappear as has been the case with so many talented batsmen over the years.

In the short term there is no question about the importance of Y's in middle order. However, the way Umar has played recently begs to ask the question whether a more determined batsman should be put in...i mean its not like he is making an effort to stay at the wicket either. A lot of times he has thrown his wicket with rash or unorthodox strokes and that too facing a relatively older ball and not batting that high up the order.

Mohammad Hafeez has looked decent as well in the opening slot, of course that's relatively speaking...if Kamran and Hafeez can give 50-80 runs of opening partnerships with a good strike rate i think it resolves our opening problem to a certain extent.

With Y's, Umer and Asad Shafiq in the middle. Afridi and Razzaq lower middle, i think we can make a case for World cup and in a short term until Y's are gone....hypothetically speaking if Amir returns to take the no 9 batting slot with Ajmal and Gul next.....we will have some muscle.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree that Umar Akmal's shot selection is very impetuous, almost Afridi like at times. I was really looking forward to watching him this summer but mostly he disappointed. He needs to work a lot on his temperament and building an innings.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
this lot cant even bat on flat tracks Lords was flat and they got rolled over for 74 and 147 the batting is minnow standard nowdays for Pakistan.
Lord's only got flat by the latter half of the AUS second inning when Hilfenhaus/Paine where batting & the PAK 2nd innnings. It was certainly very bowler friend in both teams 1st innings.

slowfinger

International Debutant
We know what the outcome is but I don't care about the result to be fair. All I want to see is a decent standard of cricket being played and the right team being played. Zulqy ftw, Alam ftw, MOYO AND YOUNIS <3 and other than that I'm not particularly bothered... And I love Akhtar also.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yes I do believe Pakistan should forget about winning and loosing for a while and first look to create a settled team which is free of controversies and have players who have only 100% commitment to the team.

Trying to patch up with short term solutions is not going to work as seen once the system is improved results will automatically start coming within due course. Pakistan produces enough talent to be a consistent top 4 its the setup that as been letting us down for quite a while now.

Last edited:

slowfinger

International Debutant
yes I do believe Pakistan should forget about winning and loosing for a while and first look to create a settled team which is free of controversies and have players who have only 100% commitment to the team.

Trying to patch up with short term solutions is not going to work as seen once the system is improved results will automatically start coming within due course. Pakistan produces enough talent to be a consistent top 4 its the setup that as been letting us down for quite a while now.
Guys don't even bother about talent... Pakistan has enough talent to fill all nations with a seperate team... But the way we harness this power just epicly fails.

Faisal1985

I just pray some how Ijaz falls in a ditch or something...and if the new comer is half honest as him things may try to turn around. I always have a feeling the this guy is taking a cut from the players who fix games and protects there selection in to the team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Lord's only got flat by the latter half of the AUS second inning when Hilfenhaus/Paine where batting & the PAK 2nd innnings. It was certainly very bowler friend in both teams 1st innings.
And what relevance does that have to anything?

Flem274*

123/5
Whatever happened to Asim Kamal and Taufeeq Umar? Asim Kamal is one of the rare modern Pakistani batsmen who values his wicket.

A lot of Pakistani batsmen appear to have very good FC averages, so why not pick them on technique and grittiness rather than just strokeplay? Some of the shots and techniques I've seen Pakistani batsmen get out to over the past few years belong in a Neil Broom ODI Greatest Hits collection.

B. Sutcliffe

Cricket Spectator
I'm rooting for Pakistan to find a way to turn it around. The sooner we have a strong Pakistan side participating normally the better for cricket.

I'd be very surprised if there weren't enough very talented players in the country, but they need to be found, developed, incentivised to play for their country and focus on winning. It would be nice if whatever team they select had some success in this upcoming series just to lift the team's spirits a bit!

B. Sutcliffe

Cricket Spectator
Some of the shots and techniques I've seen Pakistani batsmen get out to over the past few years belong in a Neil Broom ODI Greatest Hits collection.
It is a bit of a modern disease, though, isn't it? Young batsmen who all think they can play like Sehwag. We have a bunch of them in the NZ team, including the stand-in Captain and the guy in your avatar. Even Sehwag can't play like Sehwag half the time.

Flem274*

123/5
It is a bit of a modern disease, though, isn't it? Young batsmen who all think they can play like Sehwag. We have a bunch of them in the NZ team, including the stand-in Captain and the guy in your avatar. Even Sehwag can't play like Sehwag half the time.
Jamie How is pretty reasonable technically tbh. Just goes at the ball way too hard when not in form. Ross Taylor has no issues either, or do you mean McCullum?

I don't think it permeates around the place too much, but Pakistan have picked some interesting batsmen lately.

B. Sutcliffe

Cricket Spectator
Yeah I do mean McCullum, doh - I always think those two look similar. Taylor is a bit special in that he can end up with pretty good test scores, but he opens out really easily sometimes, and I get nervous waiting for him to go too far. Perhaps it is just that I grew up watching John Wright.

Yeah, I hope How gets back to the sort of form he was in briefly for NZ. For a while he looked a better bet than any of the current openers we have.

Xuhaib

International Coach
thought the young batsman selected for the English tour looked pretty decent technically (Amin ,Asad, Azhar) was not the easiest tour to score runs but I liked what I saw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
thought the young batsman selected for the English tour looked pretty decent technically (Amin ,Asad, Azhar) was not the easiest tour to score runs but I liked what I saw.
Amin looked awful IMO. His bowling was more impressive than his batting and given he bowls slow medium pies, that's saying something. Azhar looked good though.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Amin looked awful IMO. His bowling was more impressive than his batting and given he bowls slow medium pies, that's saying something. Azhar looked good though.
disagree was just never able to start in any of his knocks the two times he got in to 20's looked really smooth but was unlucky with both his dismissals.Have seen him bat domestically looks a million bucks every time could be another Darren Ganga who knows but worth giving another go imo.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Could see Ajmal having a good series. Presumably Pak will go in with two spinners and Kaneria is usually pretty decent against RSA as well. Last time at home circa 2007 he was disadvantaged as Akmal kept shelling them.

Outside that, can see any of the Pak seamers causing much problems (test series that is). Gul is either brilliant or an absolute joke and if he is leading the bowler, then God knows who will support him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Could see Ajmal having a good series. Presumably Pak will go in with two spinners and Kaneria is usually pretty decent against RSA as well. Last time at home circa 2007 he was disadvantaged as Akmal kept shelling them.

Outside that, can see any of the Pak seamers causing much problems (test series that is). Gul is either brilliant or an absolute joke and if he is leading the bowler, then God knows who will support him.
most probably Junaid Khan | Pakistan Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com. From what i have seen he's Aamer with same pace but less swing.