• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Seamers

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
i have noticed that there are lot of seamers in england all have issues and not all are being give chances...

J. Anderson
R.Johnson
S.Harmison
M.Hoggard
C.Silverwood
J.Kirtley
S.Kirby
M.Bicknell
M.Saggers
K.Ali

These are the ones that have just popped up in my heade who are said to be competing for a place in the squad [Jones excluded
because he is injured]

Everyone one of them has problems, injuries, age, bowling actions etc.

Who do people here consider the best of these lot [Flintoff is excluded as he is a certainty in the squad]

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
t all depends on the balance of the attack as to who is selected, but I don't think some of those on that list should or will play for England in the future.

Craig

World Traveller
gibbsnsmith said:
i have noticed that there are lot of seamers in england all have issues and not all are being give chances...

J. Anderson
R.Johnson
S.Harmison
M.Hoggard
C.Silverwood
J.Kirtley
S.Kirby
M.Bicknell
M.Saggers
K.Ali

These are the ones that have just popped up in my heade who are said to be competing for a place in the squad [Jones excluded
because he is injured]

Everyone one of them has problems, injuries, age, bowling actions etc.

Who do people here consider the best of these lot [Flintoff is excluded as he is a certainty in the squad]
Flintoff probabkly would be a better bowler if he stopped bowling as short. Saggers probably hasnt been given the opportunity he deserves and I still have my doubts on Kirby.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: English Seamers

Craig said:
Flintoff probabkly would be a better bowler if he stopped bowling as short.
As can be said of 75% of bowlers in the world...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: English Seamers

Craig said:
Saggers probably hasnt been given the opportunity he deserves
But if he were bowlig well enough to be a hit in Iternational Cricket, he would've had a call up.

Just look at the recent selection of Bicknell and Ali, who were made to look normal when facing good players.

Langeveldt

Soutie
My four to partner Flintoff would be:

Hoggard
Anderson
Johnson
Silverwood

I agree with Marc, Kabir Ali looks like such a different player against international batsman, i wonder whether its the same guy playing..

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
Jacques Rudolph said:

Hoggard
Anderson
Johnson
Silverwood

I agree with Marc, Kabir Ali looks like such a different player against international batsman, i wonder whether its the same guy playing..
im sure that all 4 to partner flintoof are chosen by assuming that they are not bothered by by things such as fatigue, lack of form etc...

Langeveldt

Soutie
gibbsnsmith said:
im sure that all 4 to partner flintoof are chosen by assuming that they are not bothered by by things such as fatigue, lack of form etc...
Yeah, they are

At the moment, I wouldnt be surprised with Paul Jarvis or someone getting a recall lol

Rich2001

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: English Seamers

marc71178 said:
But if he were bowlig well enough to be a hit in Iternational Cricket, he would've had a call up.

Just look at the recent selection of Bicknell and Ali, who were made to look normal when facing good players.
Iam not even going to get into this as it's a furitless arugment as I know you don't like Saggers and don't want him in the England side but to say if he was bowling well he would have been picked :O

This season even being out for about 2/3 matches his still one of the leading bowlers in the counties - And you can't complain over consistancy last season he was a country mile ahead of the 2nd best (also a Kent player but I wont start on that one yet ;) ) and the two previous seasons I don't think he was the leading wicket taker but he was certainly up there in the top few.

His avg is stupidly low and his S/R isn't bad either! and he takes wickets at the top of the order not just picking up the tail, he is also a genuine swing bowler and England don't really have anyone that swings the ball Regularly Anderson can do it on his day but other than that Flintoff, Harmison and co all bang in it there, and he didn't have much trouble destorying Surrey this weekend :P :D

Age is your only valid argument and considering they just picked a 35 year old kinda throws the youth part out of the window :rolleyes: - Really would you rather have a inform and experianced player with a cool head, or a youth player that is so tired and out of form there is little point him even turning up.

Anyway I've said my piece and wont waste my time in going round in a repetive cricle, so lets just say England's loss is our gain :)

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It strikes me that it would be no bad thing if England could have one seamer in the side capable of getting wickets against the tail. You know, pitch it up, six inches outside off stump, bowling to a field of 3 slips, basic stuff like that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:

Hoggard
Anderson
Johnson
Silverwood

5 seamers?
NO!!!!!!!

It's not worth it if 4 can't do the job.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: English Seamers

Rich2001 said:
Iam not even going to get into this as it's a furitless arugment as I know you don't like Saggers and don't want him in the England side but to say if he was bowling well he would have been picked :O
I don't dislike him, I just don't think he should play for England based solely on his county wickets.

Look at Headingley and how well the bowlers picked on county form did when facing International class players.

It was even a helpful wicket and they were poor!

What will get Joe Bloggs of Anyshire out will not always get the likes of Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith and Kallis out. I keep making this point, and even when it's shown to be valid nobody (except Neil) acknowledges it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English Seamers

marc71178 said:
What will get Joe Bloggs of Anyshire out will not always get the likes of Kirsten, Gibbs, Smith and Kallis out. I keep making this point, and even when it's shown to be valid nobody (except Neil) acknowledges it.
But what if Saggers is one of them who can? How will we know if he's not given a chance?

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
I don't dislike him, I just don't think he should play for England based solely on his county wickets.
Well what should a bowler be picked on?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But what if Saggers is one of them who can? How will we know if he's not given a chance?
I would imagine that the selectors have watched him since he is taking wickets, and not seen anything special in him.

He'll continue to take 50+ wickets a season because the quality of player he bowls to is not high in the main.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Well what should a bowler be picked on?
The actual way the player bowls and how he gets his wickets. Just look at the number of people selected on County reecords in the past 5 or 6 years, and look at how well they've actually done in Test Cricket...

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
I would imagine that the selectors have watched him since he is taking wickets, and not seen anything special in him.

He'll continue to take 50+ wickets a season because the quality of player he bowls to is not high in the main.
The same selectors who watched Anthony McGrath and Steve Harmison and saw something special in them?

That is a very biased comment Marc. I have seen Saggers bowl (albeit 4 years ago) but he looked very potent then, so he must've really fallen off his game since.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, and it's the same selectors that saw enough in Vaughan, Trescothick and Butcher to stick by them.

Harmison's improving immensely, and will continue to do so with experience.