• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Seamers

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Hollioake would've been a backward step. They had Vaughan in mind for Test Captain, and therefore made him ODI captain first.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
ECB Selectors, sane?RIGHT?

ermm....why not just give saggers a couple of games WHILE harmison and/or Anderson gets a rest

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well, in that case, why have't the selectors picked him then?

Only one reason, they don't think he's good enough, and since they're the ones who make the choices and have to live or die by them, they know best.
Only one reason? Marc don't make me laugh. Do you really think they have left him out on ability? If so how do you explain bringing Clarke into both England Squads this winter? Does that strike you as the work of a selection pannel who know what they are doing?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Only one reason? Marc don't make me laugh. Do you really think they have left him out on ability? If so how do you explain bringing Clarke into both England Squads this winter? Does that strike you as the work of a selection pannel who know what they are doing?
Well, they know a hell of a lot more than you or I do, and since they go around watching these players, they know a lot more about them then someone who doesn't watch them.

I think that they've left him out because (like a lot of county bowlers) they are not up to bowling to International class players.

Clarke I disagree with, but again, he's one the selectors have been watching, so they must have seen something in him.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Well, they know a hell of a lot more than you or I do, and since they go around watching these players, they know a lot more about them then someone who doesn't watch them.

I think that they've left him out because (like a lot of county bowlers) they are not up to bowling to International class players.

Clarke I disagree with, but again, he's one the selectors have been watching, so they must have seen something in him.
If only that were true.

All I can think of at the moment is "sheep"

One follows the other without question.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So you are claiming to know more about County Cricket and cricketers than a group of people who are paid to watch the game and evaluate players.

Right.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:

They might know a lot more, but their selections don't show this. Also they don't watch them, they get people to watch them instead, like Tord Grip in the England football setup.

One could easily argue that Harmison isn't. Is that the best you could come up with? I'm sorry but I don't see how someone who is taking wickets for fun can be a worse bowler than someone who hasn't been able to take wickets cheaply in either Tests or the "so weak it doesn't mean anything any more" CC.

They call him an "all-rounder" when he barely takes any wickets, and he plays for Surrey. I'm sure you are familier with the "Surrey Effect", in fact, weren't you one of the people who discovered it?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig said:
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the "Surrey Effect"?
A player gets picked because he plays for Surrey. Clarke has not played as much this year because Surrey have had Azhar Mahmood all season, yet he's an automatic selection for both squads. Also he hardly impressed in the ODIs in the summer. Doesn't really make sense.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
So you are claiming to know more about County Cricket and cricketers than a group of people who are paid to watch the game and evaluate players.

Right.
No, I'm not. I'm just saying that a monkey could make better selections. And so the arguement turns full circle and we are back at the beginning again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
No, I'm not. I'm just saying that a monkey could make better selections. And so the arguement turns full circle and we are back at the beginning again.
So what did you mean by "if only that were true" when I said:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
How can they possibly be able to tell that if they haven't seen him play against International class players?

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:

Right.
Because they are paid to do so means that they're the best qualified?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How can they possibly be able to tell that if they haven't seen him play against International class players?
You can see how he bowls or bats, and work out if it would work against top players (fromjust watching them)

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
You can see how he bowls or bats, and work out if it would work against top players (fromjust watching them)
I disagree completely. If this were the case, alot more teams would be alot stronger and there would be alot less flops.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Well, I watched Rikki Clarke today (glamorgan v surrey)... He got hideously tied down by Alex Wharf (of all people) before playing a slog and getting his off stump uprooted for four.. It typifies what I have come to expect...

Although I probably have not seen enough of him, I havent even seen much evidence of talent, let alone class... Hopefully the more capable Collingwood and Flintoff will snuf him out...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
So what did you mean by "if only that were true" when I said:

Because I cannot believe that they are leaving out a bowler who can't stop taking wickets "because he isn't bowling in a way which would be effective in International Cricket"

Rubbish, the same rules apply whatever level of the game you play, bowl it on or just outside off stump consistantly. From what I've seen that's what he does, and I can't really think of current England bowler who can. Pollock and McGrath do it and they are the best in the world, co-incidently.