• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Innings of Gestalt Significance.

Teja.

Global Moderator
This thread is to remember, state and relive Innings which had a greater impact on the cricketing world/nation/player than the sum of the statistics surrounding the Innings.

SR Waugh - 200 c Lara b KCG Benjamin
We'll take it from here | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com
4th Test: West Indies v Australia at Kingston, Apr 29-May 3, 1995 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

For instance, Steve Waugh's famous Double Ton in Sabina park against Mssrs. Ambrose, Walsh and Co. which though not quite as good as some of his other tons, signified the shift of dominance from the Caribbeans to the Aussies.

Sourav Ganguly - 144 c Gillespie b MacGill
Ganguly's triumph | Cricket News | Australia | Cricinfo.com
1st Test: Australia v India at Brisbane, Dec 4-8, 2003 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

In my opinion, this ton had more of an impact on the psyche and attitude of the team than the classic 281*. It was one of the finest displays of strokeplay I have had the good fortune to witness. Three wickets had fallen in the space of 1 run(Those of Sehwag, Tendulkar and Dravid!) leading to Ganguly coming early to the crease.Till then, many people felt the young Indian captain did not have the achievements to walk and talk the way he did. He was on a lean patch of form and the Aussies did not expect much of a challenge from him and expected him to be a 'fragile' player. In one Innings he shattered all such mental frameworks. I do not think India would have put up such an impressive showing in that series if not for that Innings. It completely changed the attitude of the Indian team and by the end of the series, India were flirting with a chance of a series win. I personally believe, the foundation for India to become the best test side in the world was laid in this Innings.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Miandad's innings where he hit a last ball six against India heralded a decade of Pakistani domination over India in ODIs, particularly Sharjah. We managed to beat them in the WCs when it truly mattered, though. :ph34r: :D

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Our first innings bugs me, 435 with a top score of 69. FMD, get a start and go one with it.

For an example of "going on with it" - see Australian innings.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good choices all so far and great thread (not to mention use of gestalt).

This knock from Mark Greatbatch was incredible;

10th Match: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland, Feb 29, 1992 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Kicked off the trend of having your best hitter right at the top of the order instead of slogging in the happy hour. SL obviously took it one step further by having both openers as hitters but Greatbatch was where it all started. His 6 off McMillan into the stands was monstrous.

The best part for me was just Greatbatch himself doing so well. He'd had a horror time of it for the year or so prior, hadn't played the first couple of matches (only getting back in the side through injury if I recall correctly?). He really only had the rep of a stone-waller too, especially for Aussies who watched as he frustrated the **** out of their attack in Perth (Only Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 24-28, 1989 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com). To see him come out and, initially, look completely out of form then bash the daylights out of the smug Saffies was just awesome. NZ in general were just great to watch that tournament but Greatbatch made them a massive drawcard.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
DW Hookes - 81 Retired hurt

A slower bouncer by Andy Roberts caught David Hookes by surprise and broke his jaw. This lead to Batsmen sporting helmets. Dennis Amiss wore a Motorcycle helmet for his WSC games and this lead to the other WSC Batsmen also wearing helmets. In three years, Most Batsmen in world cricket were wearing some sort of protective headgear.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Good choices all so far and great thread (not to mention use of gestalt).

This knock from Mark Greatbatch was incredible;

10th Match: New Zealand v South Africa at Auckland, Feb 29, 1992 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

Kicked off the trend of having your best hitter right at the top of the order instead of slogging in the happy hour. SL obviously took it one step further by having both openers as hitters but Greatbatch was where it all started. His 6 off McMillan into the stands was monstrous.

The best part for me was just Greatbatch himself doing so well. He'd had a horror time of it for the year or so prior, hadn't played the first couple of matches (only getting back in the side through injury if I recall correctly?). He really only had the rep of a stone-waller too, especially for Aussies who watched as he frustrated the **** out of their attack in Perth (Only Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 24-28, 1989 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com). To see him come out and, initially, look completely out of form then bash the daylights out of the smug Saffies was just awesome. NZ in general were just great to watch that tournament but Greatbatch made them a massive drawcard.
Think it started with Srikkanth, myself.. Were there are "over the top" players opening before that?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Funny I know, but Asley Giles 8no at Trent Bridge Ashes, 2005.

He played Warne for a handful of nail chewing deliveries then scored the winning runs by stepping out of the crease and punting Warne, along the ground, through the onside to a hugely important victory.

Hero.