• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ simulating Indian conditions

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I just read at Cricinfo that caretaker coach Ashley Ross has enlisted a large group of 10 year olds to shout at the NZ batsmen for 15 minutes while they bat.

Ross said that if the batsmen can handle surviving in an unpleasant training environment then it has to help their mental strength.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
they're already doing it at the NZ Academy in Christchurch.

If a player can handle some annoying kids constantly yelling & making stupid noises while they're trying to practice then they should be mentally tough enough to deal with it in India..although I think there is a big leap between artificial and real cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I really don't think that a few screaming ten-year-olds will compare to 100,000 screaming fanatics at Eden Gardens!!

If it works, I might try it...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
I really don't think that a few screaming ten-year-olds will compare to 100,000 screaming fanatics at Eden Gardens!!

If it works, I might try it...
Don't you have that anyway when you bowl at the under 13s since the people watching are worried you'll lose your accuracy?! ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
well thats not the only thing they're trying..they're just trying to simulate things that may put a batsmen off while batting or a bowler off during his run-up.

e.g. The batsman has to wear headphones while batting & during the first stages of a bowlers run-up, players will walk in front of him.

I think its a good idea & shows that NZ are trying to develop ways to make up for the lack of skill that other countries think we don't have.

Craig

World Traveller
Well they are leaving nostone un turned/ Are they also going to set things on fire as those viewers at Eden Gardens have been know set fire to some parts of the stands.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm not quite sure if any of this will help one bit to be honest - if it weren't for the fact we're in August, I'd be waiting for the "April Fool" to be announced.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Don't you have that anyway when you bowl at the under 13s since the people watching are worried you'll lose your accuracy?! ;)
Pfft... I bowled a whole over in the same place yesterday, all three feet outside leg stump. Then another over on off stump and around six yards too short...

I meant for enhancing the other players' ability to cope with pressure :P :)

Craig

World Traveller
By Zues you must be terrible Neil. Either that or you are down playing your bowling big time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
There's nothing wrong with thinking outside the square Marc...
But IMO it is very disrespectful to the Indian team and supporters to make such thinking public in such a way.

And if he thinks a bunch of kids chatting away is anything as bad as the sledging out on the field, he must be deluded. At that age, the kids won't even know most of the words used out in the middle.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
At that age, the kids won't even know most of the words used out in the middle.
Wrong...

Still, it won't sound anything like as 'nasty' as it will do when they're actually out there and seems irrelevant. All it will do is improve batsman's ability to bat whilst attempting to control laughter...

V Reddy

International Debutant
Maybe they should try with firecrackers too as it's Diwali time in India and a lot of fire crackers will be burnt in the month of October . But seriously though NZ should start practising in hot conditions instead of all these.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:
But wouldnt they be better off using their time practicing against Spin bowling!?
Yes but where on earth are they going to find any good spinners to practise against in NZ?! ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
They are also doing heat training.

And you guys can't talk about spinners!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Marc I don't think you're understanding.

The reason for the kids to shout isn't really to simulate what it will be like in India but just to build up some mental strength in the players.

I can tell you that when you're trying hard to concentrate in the nets and people are trying to distract you then it can be very annoying.

Maybe England should start looking at ways to build up 'Mental Strength'? rather than knocking it.