• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka A vs Australia A

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
The Squads

Australia A Four-Day Squad
George Bailey (c) TAS
Ed Cowan TAS
Peter Forrest NSW
Peter George SA
Moises Henriques NSW
Ben Hilfenhaus TAS
Usman Khawaja NSW
Michael Klinger SA
Andrew McDonald (vc) VIC
Stephen O’Keefe NSW
James Pattinson VIC
Mitchell Starc NSW
Matthew Wade VIC

Australia A One-Day Squad
George Bailey (c) TAS
Travis Birt TAS
Xavier Doherty TAS
Brendan Drew TAS
Aaron Finch VIC
Jake Haberfield SA
Moises Henriques NSW
Usman Khawaja NSW
Andrew McDonald VIC
James Pattinson VIC
Adam Voges (vc) WA
Matthew Wade VIC

SL OD Squad
Chamara Kapugedera (c)
Dinesh Chandimal
Nuwan Pradeep
Thilina Kandamby
Dimuth Karunaratne
Kosala Kulasekara
Farveez Maharoof
Jeevan Mendis
Dilshan Munaweera
Seekkuge Prasanna
Sachithra Senanayake
Lahiru Thirimanne
Isuru Udana
Mahela Udawatte

SL4 day squad

Thilina Kandamby (c)
Dinesh Chandimal
Nuwan Pradeep
Dimuth Karunaratne
Kosala Kulasekara
Jeevan Mendis
Nadeera Nawela
Tharanga Paranavitana
Dammika Prasad
Seekkuge Prasanna
Sachithra Senanayake
Kaushal Silva (wk)
Lahiru Thirimanne
Chaminda Vidanapathirana

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
AIS start strongly against Sri Lanka
14 June, 2010

James Pattinson in action against Sri Lanka A The Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) side has started well against Sri Lanka A after the opening two days of play in the tour match at Allan Border Field in Brisbane.

The tourists are in town as part of the Australia A Series which gets underway later in the week and are warming up with a match against the Scholars.

After winning the toss yesterday, AIS skipper Ben Dunk elected to field and it proved a wise decision as the hosts got through Sri Lanka for 224.

Peter George was the pick of the bowlers, the South Australian picked up 3-34 while Mitchell Starc also picked up 2-26.

Sri Lanka started promisingly, scoring at four an over they moved to 3-152 before George got together with spinner Steve O'Keefe (1-55) to put the stops on.

Other solid contributions came from Sean Abbott (2-26) and Nathan Brain (2-33).

The hosts were left with a period to bat before stumps and finished at 2-42 one day one.

Day two started to get away from the AIS after they slumped to 7-119 before Luke Pomersback (58 not out) joined Abbott (49) to rescue the innings with a 91-run partnership.

Dunk then declared the innings at 9-238 and the Scholars quickly got stuck into the visitors who were 2-71 late on day two.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Happy that somebody started this thread, should be a good series.

Tipping George to carve up :cool:, looks like he has bowled well in this match so far to.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's going to be some tough battles here. Chandimal, Kandamby and Kaushal SIlva are the batting main stays for SL. Lahiru Thirimanne is another good player. But none of them other than Kandamy asbeen proven on fast bouncy tracks. Sachithra Senanayake is one heck of an off spinner who has been topping the domestic performances for some time. Sekkuge Prasanna is an un orthadox legspinner who is doing well. Prasad will be the one with fire who bowls around 140k, but umpteen times aggresive than his speed. Nuwan Pradeep has been hitting mid 140s last season. Mendis will be the slow bowling all rounder.

Like to hear about the star players from Aussie side from a local.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Silva will get preference and Chandimal will play as a #4/5 position. The possible line up may be like this.

Tharanga Paranavithana
Lahiru Thirimanne
Dimuth Karunarathne
Dinesh Chandimal
Thilina Kandamby
Kaushal Silva
Jeewan Mendis
Sachithra Senanayake
Dhammika Prasad
Nuwan Pradeep
Chaminda Vidanapathirana

This looks bit thin on bowling. But Prasad i very aggressive, Pradeep has pace. Senanayake has been a riddle for local batsman up to now. Mendis also steady. Batting wise that line up is very strong. At least 5 test quality bastmen there.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
It's going to be some tough battles here. Chandimal, Kandamby and Kaushal SIlva are the batting main stays for SL. Lahiru Thirimanne is another good player. But none of them other than Kandamy asbeen proven on fast bouncy tracks. Sachithra Senanayake is one heck of an off spinner who has been topping the domestic performances for some time. Sekkuge Prasanna is an un orthadox legspinner who is doing well. Prasad will be the one with fire who bowls around 140k, but umpteen times aggresive than his speed. Nuwan Pradeep has been hitting mid 140s last season. Mendis will be the slow bowling all rounder.

Like to hear about the star players from Aussie side from a local.
Good post, nobody really knows what to expect from the Sri Lankan team this series but with this post, it seems like SL have got some dangerous players.

From the Australian side, It's a real shame that Mitchell Marsh got injured right before the start of series, only 19 but is one of the most talented all rounders in the world, Arthur thinks he is the next Kallis. It's a shame Henriques replaced him, the guy is a hack.

Obviously you would know all about Hilfenhaus and Mcdonald so I won't rave about them. Khawaja is a real star in the making IMO, very very classy batsmen. He has all the shots and a superb temperament to go with it, has a gun FC record and pretty much highly rated by everybody, he will play Test cricket for sure IMO.

Klinger isn't young but is a pretty solid opening batsmen aswell, good defensive player and has scored a stack of runs in the last two seasons in domestic cricket. Many consider the captain George Bailey the best batsmen in domestic cricket in Australia at the present moment, he's an attacking batsmen who will be important for Australia A in the middle order. Mathew Wade is another upcoming star for me, very destructive little wicket keeper batsmen, expect a lot from him.

Already tipped George to carve up. Extreamly tall bowler who is very Mcgrath like with his bowling but also has a decent out swinger to go with his bounce and seam movement.

This is just the 4 day stuff so you will probably get more opinions from other members.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Some articles.

Bailey focuses on team effort
17 June, 2010
Cricket Australia
Australia A captain George Bailey says focusing first and foremost on the team’s performance will be the key to individual success during their series against Sri Lanka A, which begins in Brisbane on June 18.

The Tasmanian, who was previously called up to the senior side to replace Michael Clarke during the VB Tour of New Zealand, is one of the squad pushing for a spot in the senior Australian side.

“I think the best way to get success out of yourself is to focus on the team doing the right thing,” Bailey told cricket.com.au.

“If we play well as a team I think we will get some strong individual performances that will push guys up for spots in that Australian side.

“One thing I will do is try and be quite attacking with this Australia A team.

“I think this team is filled with match winners and I think that is quite a dangerous.

“There are a range of people at different stages of their careers and at the end of the day everyone is pushing for Australian selection, so it's trying to get a balance and make everyone feel comfortable enough that they perform at their best.”

The 27-year-old is one of four Tasmanian players named in the original Australia A four-day squad and one of five named in the one-day squad, before Tim Paine was called up to replace Brad Haddin for the VB Tour of British Isles and VB Tour of England.

“Domestic cricket is so strong that if you've got a good domestic team you are going to have some pretty good individual players,” Bailey said.

“We've lost Painey now - he's off to play with the big boys but there are still a lot of us there and I'm looking forward to watching Ben Hilfenhaus on his comeback trail as well.”

As well as losing Paine, Mitch Marsh was earlier ruled out of the series due to injury.

“It would have been really exciting to play a bit with Mitch as opposed to playing against him, which can be quite dangerous,” he said.

“Even though he's only been around a season he's obviously a real player of the future and hopefully he recovers quickly.”

Bailey, however, is more than happy with their replacements – wicket-keeper Matthew Wade and all-rounder Moises Henriques.

“Wadey has had a couple of really good seasons and thoroughly deserves his spot there,” Bailey said.

“He really came of age last year and played some strong match-winning innings so it will be good to catch up with him.

“Moises is a proven performer. He's played Australia A before and did really well at that level so he is a ready-made replacement for Mitch.”

This series will be Bailey’s first as Australia A skipper, although he has his experiences as Tasmanian captain to draw on.

“I really enjoyed captaining Tassie,” he said.

It was a good experience but different to what I expected.

“I thought most of the stuff would be done on the field but I suppose with most of those sorts of roles there is a lot of the balance of getting your own game right on and off the park and not getting too caught up in the leadership stuff.

“I felt like I learnt something every day that I was training or playing and I certainly think it made me a better cricketer, which is also pretty handy.”

The first four-day match starts on Friday June 18 at Allan Border Field in Brisbane.

“I am sitting down in Tassie right now and it's bucketing down with rain and about 10 degrees so I always get excited about heading up to Brisbane,” he said.

“I haven't played much four-day cricket up there so that will be a different challenge for myself and going on the wickets we've played on there in the past they are generally good batting wickets so that might be a good challenge for the bowlers as well.”

Hilfenhaus ready for battle
17 June, 2010
Fast bowler Ben Hilfenhaus will return from injury in Australia A's two four-day matches against Sri Lanka A in Queensland starting on June 18, where he hopes to strengthen his bid for selection for the Test series against Pakistan in England.

The 27-year-old has not played internationally since the first 3 Mobile Test against the West Indies in Brisbane last summer when, in his ninth Test, he damaged a knee tendon.

"I'm really keen to get back out there and play some competitive cricket again," Hilfenhaus told cricket.com.au.

"It's been a long process, but I'm feeling good, have been bowling in the nets for the last couple of months and jusy really looking forward to get back out there again."

Australian team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said last month the Tasmanian swing bowler had worked diligently through his recovery.

If Hilfenhaus remains healthy, he could be a major asset in the two Tests against Pakistan in England in July after flourishing there in last year's Ashes series.

Hilfenhaus was Australia's premier bowler, claiming 22 wickets at 27.45 in a losing campaign.

Even if he misses selection for the Pakistan series, the former bricklayer could yet play a key role in Australia's bid to reclaim cricket's famous little urn on home soil next summer.

Tasmanian skipper George Bailey has been named captain for the two four-day, one Twenty20 and three one-day contests against Sri Lanka A.

Bailey will also be keen to impress having won an unexpected call-up into the Australian one-day squad when Michael Clarke returned home from New Zealand in March for personal reasons.

He was in fine form last season, scoring 538 runs at 59.77 in the Ford Ranger Cup, in which he captained his state to the title. His run tally trailed only Victorian veteran Brad Hodge.

Victorian all-rounder Andrew McDonald, an Ashes tourist last year, will also have another chance to push for greater honours.

Selectors have had to make two recent changes to the Australia A squad.

NSW all-rounder Moises Henriques has replaced injured Western Australian batsman Mitch Marsh, while James Pattinson comes in for NSW fast bowler Josh Hazlewood, who was drafted into Australia's one-day squad for the series against England and Ireland after Mitchell Johnson withdrew because of an infected elbow.

Hazlewood, who doesn't turn 20 until next January, could become Australia's youngest-ever one-day international player if he debuts in England, beating Craig McDermott and Ray Bright, the only two men to debut at age 19.

National chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch was confident Australia A would do well.

"The squad recognises the high standard of performance of experienced players such as Michael Klinger and Ed Cowan and features some of our best young batting talent in the country, including captain George Bailey, Usman Khawaja and Peter Forrest," he said.

The Australia A squad for the first four-day match is:

George Bailey (TAS) – Captain
Andrew McDonald (VIC) – Vice-captain
Ed Cowan (TAS)
Peter Forrest (NSW)
Peter George (SA)
Ben Hilfenhaus (TAS)
Usman Khawaja (NSW)
Michael Klinger (SA)
Stephen O’Keefe (NSW)
Matthew Wade (VIC)
Mitchell Starc (NSW)
12th James Pattinson (VIC)
13th Moises Henriques (NSW)

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka A all over Australia A at the moment, 5/86 and spinner Senanayake has all 5 wickets.

Looks like a good bowling pitch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Aus A 5/89 and offspinner Senanayake 5/31. This bowling performance alone should warrant him a place in the test and ODI squad of SL

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Aus A 5/89 and offspinner Senanayake 5/31. This bowling performance alone should warrant him a place in the test and ODI squad of SL
6 wickets for Senanayake now and what a great spell. It's up to O'Keefe and Forrest now to make a score or Australia might be rolled over for under 120.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Is the AB field in Brisbane known to produce spinning wickets? Or is a flat track? What I can recall it is a seaming track.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Is the AB field in Brisbane known to produce spinning wickets? Or is a flat track? What I can recall it is a seaming track.

Well I wouldn't be the person to ask but usually the 2nd choice fields in Australia like the AB field, Adelaide Oval No.2 and Newcastle ect are usually flat tracks.

7 down now, expect to be bowled out soon now.

Xuhaib

International Coach
is this offie a mystery one aka Ajanta 'I got decoded' Mendis or just conventional spinner?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
is this offie a mystery one aka Ajanta 'I got decoded' Mendis or just conventional spinner?
100% conventional one. Perhaps uses bit of wrist more than a conventional offie. But his strength lies in accuracy, good action, plenty of turn and bounce.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Senenyake - gun ICC player. Average ~20 it seems. How do SL produce such good spinners?

Xuhaib

International Coach
100% conventional one. Perhaps uses bit of wrist more than a conventional offie. But his strength lies in accuracy, good action, plenty of turn and bounce.
good looks special by his figures.Him and Randiv will make a good pair.