• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Aussie Stars

Andre

International Regular
I was having a think about this today, and wondering, who the next Aussie stars will be (as in - those who have not played for Australia).

Mark Cosgrove looks a good player, so does Shaun Marsh. Doug Bollinger is quick, while there are bigs wraps on Mitchell Johnson and Damien MacKenzie.

Thoughts?

Cloete

International Captain
watch for a young lad by the name of Nick Kruger. debuted this season for QLD. plays for my club and with matty hayden (who of course also plays for my club). this kid looks really good. definitely a future star.

Andre

International Regular
When I saw Kruger bat he looked like just a basher/slogger. Is tht his game or was he trying something in the ING?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
dont forget the obvious in the likes of Clarke, Watson etc.

i dont rate bollinger yet, he may come good, dont know atm.

aaron bird is supposed to be good, never really seen him play though, the NSW side is too strong for many youngsters

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
His record doesn't suggest he's that hot - averaging 37.57 isn't likely to get him into any Australian teams very soon, and when the current crop retire, he'll be getting up towards 28,29...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
His record doesn't suggest he's that hot - averaging 37.57 isn't likely to get him into any Australian teams very soon, and when the current crop retire, he'll be getting up towards 28,29...
That's quite a good avrage for a youngster in the Australian domestic setup.

He must have avraged about 60 last season so he is not a bad player at all.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
At 26 (August 31st), I think he's drifting out of the young players category by cricketing standards.

Is it just me, or does he resemble Ian Bell?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Marcus North is really Talented but he's yet to find his feet for WA at FC level.

Dont underestimate him though he is really talented he can make big hundreds and against good attack it's just getting past 0 that was his problem last season :)

Cleary did really well for SA last season as did S. Tate who looks really promising I was suppised at the consistant amount of swing he got and at very good pace probably low 140's

Luke Ronchi will be our next Test Keeper IMO very good batsman again a real dasher and he was very good for WA last year with two 90's and some other 50's.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
Luke Ronchi will be our next Test Keeper IMO very good batsman again a real dasher and he was very good for WA last year with two 90's and some other 50's.
But what about with the Gloves, or is that now irrelevant?

Eclipse

International Debutant
It's slightly less relevent these days but he is a good Gloveman.
I mean you wont make it into the Australian team as a keeper unless you can bat.

He was picked ahead of Ryan Campbell for a few game's last year and Ryan Campbell is a very good keeper and indeed fantastic batsman so it show's he has some promis.

Andre

International Regular
Yes, but the Warriors also dropped Mike Hussey, Murray Goodwin and Matt Nicholson at the end of last summer, so don't read to far into that!

hourn

U19 Cricketer
depends at what level you wanna look at

Playing FC would be:

Marcus North
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke
Paul Rofe
Ashley Noffke
Scott Brant
Nathan Hauritz
Sean Clingeleffer
Shaun Marsh

Just outside of regular FC cricket:
Mark Cosgrove
Callum Ferguson
Aaron Bird (very quick)
Damien McKenzie (i think he has actually played a fait bit)
James Allsopp

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
A bit early to tell really. He's not very accomplished at domestic level as yet. If he's still doing well after 30 or so FC games perhaps.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
A bit early to tell really. He's not very accomplished at domestic level as yet. If he's still doing well after 30 or so FC games perhaps.

hahaha thats 3 seasons, too long, maybe 15-20 games.

Scott brant does look like a good bowler, not sure how old he is

i dont theink that Clingleffer is good enough at one dayers to play for Australia, i think that we should be looking to have a very very similar if not the same team for ODI's and tests in teh future.

Hauritz i dont think will become good enough at first class level to play test cricket, hes just not really a wicket taker in that form of the game, ODI's are different, but will depend on other spinners coming through the ranks