• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

20/20 is taking my interest from cricket away

Sir Alex

Banned
I'm guessing that jake was criticising India based on the idea that they seem to be the ones promoting more 20/20 through the creation of the IPL which has led to the formation of domestic leagues in England and Australia. While saying the most revenue and fans come from India, India needs other big cricketing nations just as much as we need India. I imagine the Ashes makes a lot more money than the B/G trophy.
Fail to see the connection between India running it's own domestic T20 competition and "India needs other big cricketing nations just as much as we need India"

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Fail to see the connection between India running it's own domestic T20 competition and "India needs other big cricketing nations just as much as we need India"
Because I was addressing the two different points brought up by SS...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually think the Border/Gavaskar trophy may make more than the Ashes on the back of TV rights in India.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm guessing that jake was criticising India based on the idea that they seem to be the ones promoting more 20/20 through the creation of the IPL which has led to the formation of domestic leagues in England and Australia.
Domestic league in UK preceded the IPL. T20 was creqted in the UK and it was popular pre-IPL.

While saying the most revenue and fans come from India, India needs other big cricketing nations just as much as we need India. I imagine the Ashes makes a lot more money than the B/G trophy.
Well obviously they can't play themselves.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I actually think the Border/Gavaskar trophy may make more than the Ashes on the back of TV rights in India.
Yeah to be fair I wouldn't know much about the TV rights in India. But how evenly split is this?

The 2006/2007 Ashes had James Sutherland doing a 'here comes the money' dance in his office probably

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Considering India touring NZ last year was the most the NZ board have ever earned from a tour, it'd have to be pretty well split for Boards you'd think.

Though we don't really have specific numbers (well I don't anyway) so it's all guess work.

But yes, for sure the Ashes (especially post 2005) is a money making machine.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Considering India touring NZ last year was the most the NZ board have ever earned from a tour, it'd have to be pretty well split for Boards you'd think.

Though we don't really have specific numbers (well I don't anyway) so it's all guess work.

But yes, for sure the Ashes (especially post 2005) is a money making machine.
The Ashes is fairly popular every year in Australia. Of course, in 2004, we had Steve Waugh's farewell tour though. It'll be interesting to see how popular it is in 2010/2011

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
You think offering players such large amounts of money to play in a domestic competition that they'd rather miss international obligations than miss an IPL contract is good thing. Not to mention rescheduling the international calendar around the competition and the tendency for players to retire early so they can earn some quick money in IPL in their twilight years. Thought this was pretty clear.

Sir Alex

Banned
You think offering players such large amounts of money to play in a domestic competition that they'd rather miss international obligations than miss an IPL contract is good thing. Not to mention rescheduling the international calendar around the competition and the tendency for players to retire early so they can earn some quick money in IPL in their twilight years. Thought this was pretty clear.
No International player can feature in IPL without "NOC" from his board. Boards can refuse permission if they feel a player has "deliberately" avoided national duty (by retiring early etc) to play in the IPL.

How does a retired player earning a few quick bucks in his "twilight" years affecting the game? I would love to see instances where International calenders have been "rescheduled" to accomodate IPL, and if at all, at what cost. AFAI ICC has denied IPL a window in the calendar.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
No International player can feature in IPL without "NOC" from his board. Boards can refuse permission if they feel a player has "deliberately" avoided national duty (by retiring early etc) to play in the IPL.
How can boards refuse permission if a player has retired early and no longer has a central contract.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Cricket finally paying something close to what other major sports pay is a good thing IMO.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How does a retired player earning a few quick bucks in his "twilight" years affecting the game? I would love to see instances where International calenders have been "rescheduled" to accomodate IPL, and if at all, at what cost. AFAI ICC has denied IPL a window in the calendar.
While a player may be in his twilight years he can still provide a great asset for his country. One such instance was Shane Bond during his many retirements. I don't see it as a particularly good thing when a player decides to retire in his early 30s so he can go have a hit in the IPL for a lot more money for a lot less time.

You have to be joking if you don't believe that the international calender has been reorganised around the IPL. I don't think it's a coincidence that there is no other cricket on during that period whatsoever. At what cost? Umm, perhaps longer tours against other nations perhaps etc.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket finally paying something close to what other major sports pay is a good thing IMO.
Nah. Overpaid sports players is a joke when they'd rather play in a domestic competition than for their country.

Sir Alex

Banned
While a player may be in his twilight years he can still provide a great asset for his country. One such instance was Shane Bond during his many retirements. I don't see it as a particularly good thing when a player decides to retire in his early 30s so he can go have a hit in the IPL for a lot more money for a lot less time.
So what about players like Hamish Marshall, Ian O Brien etc? Did they all announce their retirements to play in the IPL as well?

Bond in all probability, even without IPL, wouldn't have played more than what he played for NZ in the last 2-3 years.

You have to be joking if you don't believe that the international calender has been reorganised around the IPL. I don't think it's a coincidence that there is no other cricket on during that period whatsoever. At what cost? Umm, perhaps longer tours against other nations perhaps etc.
I asked for specific instances and at what cost they were rearranged. It seems you are just interested in accusing without backing up with facts. Well, FYI, Australia vs New Zealand series certainly in progress during the initial days of the IPL.

I can't remember a single season in the IPL which did NOT overlap with one International series or the other.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I believe there is a 3 year period where the Board will still have say even after player's retirement.
I haven't heard of this before so maybe you are right. However, is this really practical? A player could say he retired for a number of reasons.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah. Overpaid sports players is a joke when they'd rather play in a domestic competition than for their country.
Doesn't this just show how valuable international cricket 'really' is to some of these players?

If it's truly the pinnacle, it'll either warrant the money to be paid, or players will reject money and play for their country.

How are they 'overpaid' by the way? They're the ones increasing the TV ratings.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So what about players like Hamish Marshall, Ian O Brien etc? Did they all announce their retirements to play in the IPL as well?

Bond in all probability, even without IPL, wouldn't have played more than what he played for NZ in the last 2-3 years.

I asked for specific instances and at what cost they were rearranged. It seems you are just interested in accusing without backing up with facts. Well, FYI, Australia vs New Zealand series certainly in progress during the initial days of the IPL.

I can't remember a single season in the IPL which did NOT overlap with one International series or the other.
While a tour may infringe on the IPL for a couple days there's no denying that there has been a period somewhat carved out in the calendar so that most players can play in the IPL. Though an International tour may overlap by a day or two, you be can certain it wouldn't dare interrupt the important parts of the tournament. Furthermore, the presence of the IPL has cut out precious preparation time for future tours. The Indian team had what was it, a couple days between finishing up in the IPL and playing the ICC 20/20 World championships.

Players may not publicly announce that they retired in order to play in the IPL, but I can assure you its a massive factor outlining their decision.