Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who would win a 3 test series played in England?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • All-time Northern Hemisphere XI

15 39.47%
  • All-time Southern Hemisphere XI

23 60.53%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: All-time Northern vs. Southern Hemisphere

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Hobbs => B. Richards
    Gavaskar => Trumper IMO
    Richards << Bradman
    Tendulkar => G. Chappell
    Lara <= G. Pollock
    Sobers => K. Miller
    Knott (wk) <= Gilchrist (with the bat, Knott with the gloves)
    Imran (c) => Hadlee (Hadlee better bowler, Imran the far superior bat)
    Marshall => Lillee (very little in it)
    Murali = Warne (consistency vs. occasional magic)
    Trueman = McGrath (nothing in it)

Bradman is the difference, Northern are probably the ever so slightly better side if we excluded him though.
    To me Hadlee and Imraan are also very difficult to say that one was better than the other to me.

Like you say Imraan was the superior batsman but to me Hadlee beats Imraan the bowler and batting at number 8 we are looking for the bowler.
    LILLEE c WILLEY b DILLEY

LAMB c KOURIE b RICE

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    No, I respect your opinion mate and I'm not saying that you are incorrect because you can't be when its your opinion.

I'm just trying to make a case for Kallis who always seems to be not given the full credit he deserves.

I just feel with his standing in the game he deserves to make that side.

Kallis and Sobers are untouchable as all-rounders in the history o the game. They're on a pedastal.
    Fully agree about Kallis not always getting his just desserts, but I make a distinction between batting & bowling all-rounders.

For me;

Greatest batting all-rounders - Kallis & Sobers
    Greatest bowling all-rounders - Imran & Miller

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    To me Hadlee and Imraan are also very difficult to say that one was better than the other to me.

Like you say Imraan was the superior batsman but to me Hadlee beats Imraan the bowler and batting at number 8 we are looking for the bowler.
    Well Imran would actually bat 7 and Knott 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Banned
    You obviously didn't see what I saw then. I mean Lara being better than G. Pollock??? Lara was brillaint but doesn't touch Pollock. All I say is watch clips of G. Pollock. Rad articles on G.Pollock and in particular his Trent Bridge innings in England in 1965.

Oh and what happened to Kallis at 6. Kallis eats Miller up. Comparin Kallis to Sobers is also diffcult because statistically they are the best all-rounders of all-time but their styles are completely different.

Murali is not better than Warne and it is proved when he went to play in Aus.

McGrath was better than Ambrose.

I'm not so sure Jack Hobbs was better than Barry either.

I agree with the rest probably.
    I was not the one who removed Miller,zinzan and ikki did.Not that it makes a big difference,if anything they cancel each other out.

I do not like rating players on 5 games or 20 games or whatever.Hussey after 20 games averaged 80.Had he retired then you would have called him the second best after Bradman?

I have read all about Pollock but nothing suggests that 'Lara doesn't touch him'.If for nothing else,Lara gets the nod for playing about a zillion matches more and maintaining his high standards over that period.

Murali vs Warne and Ambrose vs Mcgrath is very debatable.Feel free to disagree
    Last edited by Avada Kedavra; 10-04-2010 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avada Kedavra View Post
    I do not like rating players on 5 games or 20 games or whatever.Hussey after 20 games averaged 80.Had he retired then you would have called him the second best after Bradman?

I have read all about Pollock but nothing suggests that 'Lara doesn't touch him'.If for nothing else,Lara gets the nod for playing about a zillion matches more and maintaining his high standards over that period.

Pollock also played FC cricket for 17 years, close to the same amount Lara did while maintaining an impressive average of 54. Sure this isn't the best indicator of Test success but it does warrant some kudos IMO.

Cricket Champion!
    Hobbs => B. Richards
    Gavaskar => Trumper IMO
    Richards << Bradman
    Tendulkar => G. Chappell
    Lara <= G. Pollock
    Sobers => K. Miller
    Knott (wk) <= Gilchrist (with the bat, Knott with the gloves)
    Imran (c) => Hadlee (Hadlee better bowler, Imran the far superior bat)
    Marshall => Lillee (very little in it)
    Murali = Warne (consistency vs. occasional magic)
    Trueman = McGrath (nothing in it)

Bradman is the difference, Northern are probably the ever so slightly better side if we excluded him though.
    IMO

Hobbs => B. Richards
    Gavaskar => Simpson
    Richards << Bradman
    Tendulkar <= G. Chappell
    Lara => G. Pollock
    Sobers = K. Miller
    Knott (wk) < Gilchrist
    Imran (c) => Hadlee
    Marshall => Lillee bowling+batting
    Murali <= Warne bowling+batting
    Trueman = McGrath
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Kallis' batting is overkill when you have Bradman and Gilchrist, really. The bowling is more important to improve. 4 prong attack plus Warne, it just doesn't get better than that; 5 genuine match winners with the ball. Also, Miller was no mug and is the best of the bowling all-rounders with the bat.

TBF, Miller, Imran and Botham are on that same pedestal.
    Can't argue with the top lot I guess.

Thats the beuty of cricket...these sorts of conversations because there are so many varying opinions.

Miller, Imran, Botham, Hadlee and S. Pollock are chasing those 2 as all-rounders to me but all are magnificent.

If SA was playing during the 70's and 80 it would have been the era of all-rounders...because Rice, Barlow and Procter would have all been playing in the era of Botham, Imraan and Hadlee. I don't think there is another era to touch it..

Banned
    Pollock also played FC cricket for 17 years, close to the same amount Lara did while maintaining an impressive average of 54. Sure this isn't the best indicator of Test success but it does warrant some kudos IMO.
    Not knocking him down - it is just the way I look at it.By all accounts he was brilliant,but only 20 tests,for whatever the reason,is too little to judge a player on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    IMO

Hobbs => B. Richards
    Gavaskar => Simpson
    Richards << Bradman
    Tendulkar <= G. Chappell
    Lara => G. Pollock
    Sobers = K. Miller
    Knott (wk) < Gilchrist
    Imran (c) => Hadlee
    Marshall => Lillee bowling+batting
    Murali <= Warne bowling+batting
    Trueman = McGrath
    I rate Sobers higher since I consider him in the top 3 batting of all time, Miller a more all round all-rounder but not close to the best batsman or best bowler ever. In a team like this I think the one specialty would be far more valuable. As all-rounders its a different argument. Warne's batting wasn't a factor I included, good point.

I was not the one who removed Miller,zinzan and ikki did.Not that it makes a big difference,if anything they cancel each other out.

G. Pollock was a genious and he had Bradman purring when he saw him. Even Bradman said he was the best left-hander he had seen.

Its not only that he played 23 tests...don't forget none of which were over the age of 24 where he was still to hit his peak but the manner in which he scored his runs and type of runs he scored.

G. Pollock is firmly down in my books as the 3rd best batsman of all time behind Bradman and Sobers.

Banned
    Someone mentioned that Murali failed in Australia - that is as irrelevant as Warne failing in India because the OP asks says that the test is to be played in England - only records in England should be considered.

Banned
    G. Pollock was a genious and he had Bradman purring when he saw him. Even Bradman said he was the best left-hander he had seen.

Its not only that he played 23 tests...don't forget none of which were over the age of 24 where he was still to hit his peak but the manner in which he scored his runs and type of runs he scored.

G. Pollock is firmly down in my books as the 3rd best batsman of all time behind Bradman and Sobers.
    He was yet to hit his peak...maybe..but yet to hit the inevitable troughs as well....please do not impose your views on me.Your opinion is reasonable and I have no problems with it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Zinzan's Avatar
    Someone mentioned that Murali failed in Australia - that is as irrelevant as Warne failing in India because the OP asks says that the test is to be played in England - only records in England should be considered.
    I didn't actually mean to imply that only records against England should be considered, just wanted to see the balance of 3 front-line pacers & 1 spinner in each side.

Banned
    I would have Smith and Steve Waugh over Ponting and Chappell in England

Steve Waugh 1633 runs @ 74 Ponting 1323 runs @ 44 Smith 1083 runs @ 73
    Chappell scored 1020 runs @ 40.80

Cricket Champion!
    Kinda, but also irrelevant in a way. The records in England are against England.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information