• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bollinger isn't a great T20 bowler by any stretch imo. But I am surprised to see no Hussey.

Andre

International Regular
You'd have to think that Bracken's international career has the writing on the wall after missing out on both squads...

Andre

International Regular
Given. Not a heaps bad thing either, his decline has been pretty rapid.
Yeah, no tears from my end. Bloke couldn't bowl a hoop down a hill these days. Reckon he'll fade out of the NSW squad in the next 12 months too, don't think he fancies being a state cricketer.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Yeah, no tears from my end. Bloke couldn't bowl a hoop down a hill these days. Reckon he'll fade out of the NSW squad in the next 12 months too, don't think he fancies being a state cricketer.
Disagree with that. Was brilliant in his last One Dayer for NSW last week. And from what I understand, he wants to keep playing for the Blues, but the Blues management keep making a push for youth. If anything, I can see their selection policies changing Bracks' view and he'll make the call to retire and be with family.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hussey might be resting for the Twenty20's....and as much as Bracken's a gun, he hasn't bowled much for the past few months.

brockley

International Captain
Brakken is finished.
Onedayers only.
They not picking him for sheffield shield,but he has been crap the last few years.
NSW has the problem of what to do with clark,lee and brakken,cause nsw now should look to play their younger bowlers.
Stu clark when he played had a forgetable year.

iamdavid

International Debutant
North has got to get punted - aged over 30, modest Shield and Test record, and only piles on the runs when the team doesn't need them. He also no longer bowls. I think Klinger has, in the absence of anyone else putting up their hand, done enough to make the tour. His last couple of years have been stellar. It's great to see a relatively young fellow banging on the selection door with mountains of runs (ala Hayden, Blewett, Martyn etc in the 1990s). However, I'd bat White at six - he's a great slipper, can at least do as well as North with the bat, and importantly has shown great improvement in international company of late.

Finally, regarding the bowlers, again I would reward a young man with the stats on the board. Ben Cutting leads the Shield averages and he's only 22. Let's be bold and reward this outstanding performance. In a similar vein, I would reward Harris with a spot - in the absence of an injured Lee and Clark and an underdone Bracken and Tait. For mine, Harris looks a better bet than McKay who I thought was found wanting in his Perth debut.
There's actually less than a year in age difference between North and Klinger lol, and North has at least been a regular contributor at shield level for the majority of his career. But I do agree re North, unless he has a very substantial/convincing knock or two for WA at some stage in the next month he'll have to make way. I think it's a given that White will get the number 6 sport if North is left out, however I'd be pretty suprised if they took Klinger as the backup batsman. He's nearly 30 and the selectors have barely shown any interest at all over the past couple of years despite his domestic form...Don't think they see him as part of their future plans at all. Steve Smith on the other hand has hit a couple of blistering FC tons this year at 20 years of age, and we already know they want to get him close to the side if not in it to try and develop his bowling, his batting gives them an excuse to do that.

I reckon they'll take-
Watson
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
White
Haddin
Smith (North if he plays out of his skin between now and then)
Johnson
Hauritz
Bollinger
Harris
McKay (Hilfenhaus if he's miraculously fit)

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'll be very surprised if White's not playing at 6 come NZ.

Dont think he's the best man for the job, but not the worst and I hope he does well. Just really worried about his defensive technique, esp when the ball is doing something.
I think he's upto it, has shown a penchant for lifting his game when the oppurtunity presents itself thus far in his international career, and I see nothing to suggest he wouldn't make a good fist of batting 6 in tests. I think a few eyebrows were raised when he was given the chance to bat 3 in the ODI's in England despite never having hit a 50..and he took that chance splendidly and has gone from strength to strength ever since.

I don't see anything too worrying in his defensive techinque either tbh...he's a little unconventional looking but he gets into line and presents the full face...

Julian87

State Captain
I really rate White and think he deserves an extended shot at the 6. But anyone should be able to see that he struggle when the ball is moving around even the slightest bit. I don't think it is a huge worry though considering he'll come in when Australia are 4 down and I like the idea of the number 6 being able to lift the run rate or counter attack if need be. Ponting and Martyn were able to do it when they were there. Some of the genuine higher order players that have been there in the past 5 or so years have struggled a bit with the role IMO.

Andre

International Regular
Reckon White and George Bailey should tour to be honest. White looks tailor-made for the number 6 role (plus he's the best Aussie slipper since M Waugh) while there is something special about Bailey - reckon he is about to explode with runs to be honest, this summer might just be the tip of the iceberg.

Hope S Smith is considered more of a batsman than a bowler, because that is what he is at this stage of his career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Reckon White and George Bailey should tour to be honest. White looks tailor-made for the number 6 role (plus he's the best Aussie slipper since M Waugh) while there is something special about Bailey - reckon he is about to explode with runs to be honest, this summer might just be the tip of the iceberg.

Hope S Smith is considered more of a batsman than a bowler, because that is what he is at this stage of his career.
Yep agree completely.

I still have some reservations on White though if Australia are 4 for not many against one of the better teams, but I guess whoever they pick at 6 will be unproven.

inbox24

International Debutant
Yep agree completely.

I still have some reservations on White though if Australia are 4 for not many against one of the better teams, but I guess whoever they pick at 6 will be unproven.
They can minimise the risk then by picking David Hussey. The guy should be able to average at least 45 at test level, with some handier than North part time spin.

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia should rest Watson, Ponting, Bolinger and Johnson. Time to let the others fight for their positions.
Memory not that good eh? Last time we toured NZ we left six of our starting eleven at home and got pasted. We lost every game.

howardj

International Coach
Probably deserve to get kicked off the site for saying this, but I am tipping NZ to pinch a Test match in this series.

At the end of a long, endless Summer, I think the Aussies could be a bit vulnerable.

Am also tipping a ripper of an ODI series - love the small grounds over there.

dikinee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I really rate White and think he deserves an extended shot at the 6. But anyone should be able to see that he struggle when the ball is moving around even the slightest bit. I don't think it is a huge worry though considering he'll come in when Australia are 4 down and I like the idea of the number 6 being able to lift the run rate or counter attack if need be. Ponting and Martyn were able to do it when they were there. Some of the genuine higher order players that have been there in the past 5 or so years have struggled a bit with the role IMO.
My sentiments exactly. We used to be able to carry an ordinary no6 because we had Gilly at 7 but now we need someone in there who can belt a quickfire 50 or 60 if need be or launch a rescue if the top order collapse. White is by far the best candidate for the job I just wish he would bowl a bit more than he does. I would like to see him try his hand at some medium pace stuff. I recon he would be ok at it instead of persisting with the non-spinning leggies. He`s a big strong unit so I reckon he should be able to generate a bit of pace.