• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi The Cheat Strikes again

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is he renowned as being a bit half-sharp? Because either he's a prize plum or he just doesn't give a flying one.

My guess is the former because, with the way his hands are cupped round the pill, he seems to be making an extemely half-arsed attempt to hide what he's doing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hadn't actually ever bothered to check out the Faisalabad 2007 incident until now - here's the link if interested in having a look.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's how it happened live, with the Ch 9 commentary.

Edit: Also includes the pitch invasion

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, KKR didn't want him at the Eden Gardens, so Afridi might have figured he might as well bite into it to earn the banishment. He's really a misunderstood po-mo performance artiste.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Should also be noted that Rana got the ball reversing the very next over. So whatever the hell he was doing worked.

Sir Alex

Banned
He has apparently admitted his guilt and has been handed a two match ban.

WAG.

Who said cricket is the intelligentsia's game?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Haha, 2 match ban? So you could theoretically help your team win one out of every three games by working on the ball, which is anyway better odds than Afridi has of winning Pakistan a game the conventional way?

pasag

RTDAS
I think this is the funniest thing to have happened in cricket for a long time. Can't stop laughing at that video.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suppose this raises the hypothetical about what would happen if, when the umps make one of their regular inspections of the condition of the ball, they saw what appeared to be human teeth marks in the leather but the camera hadn't picked up the culprit?

After Ovalgate it'd be a brave umpire to make any sort of call based on the condition of the ball alone.

I'm assuming a five-run penalty wasn't imposed in today's game either? If not one wonders exactly what players would need to do to incur it.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Good points. "hmmm, there appears to be an incisor embedded here in the seam".

The five run penalty thing is a bit of a joke - it's surely now gone the way of umpires calling chucks on the field - noone is going to be willing to do it, and that's maybe not a bad thing as opposed to reporting the issue to the match referee and replacing the ball so the game can proceed?