• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

jeevan

International 12th Man
There aren't many, if any, T20 bowlers better than Umar Gul. This format has been played for 3-4 years now, and he's pretty much at or near the top for the entire period. He also has no off-field or work ethic issues. This guy is clearly worth buying out someone else's contract if you've run out of the 10 international player slots.

Umar Akmal & Md Aamer are very good and while they might not be irreplacable, they're exactly the sort of new thing on the block that adds considerable spice to a flashy event like IPL. Kemar Roach & Pollard got extra attention for similar reasons, they aren't veterans either.

So, (at least) 3 players who, by any criteria that involved individuals alone, could've been picked and one of them pretty much a must-have. No use trying to pretend or insinuate otherwise.

(Tanvir should have particular value for RR, but he's dropped off from the international radar. Afridi has the reputation of being a toxic asset in the dressing room, that should actually make him 'untouchable' in the best of times too. Rest of the players have been average, and I dont see them having a chance when 11 out of 66 were selected)

Sir Alex

Banned
Few points
The attacks on Sri Lankan players happend in 2009
India was supposed to tour in December 2008, it backed out of a contract. In legal terms, it is equal to Pakistan backing out of their obligation to play IPL 2.
Hence your statement "after what happened to Sri Lanka cricket team" unless you are suggesting that India knew the attacks were going to happen on the Sri Lankan team in 2009 :-O
:dry: Do you really think Indian Government would have given the go ahead for a tour when we faced one of our worst terrorist attacks? And please don't give this **** about BCCI not honoring commitment stuff etc. Between 2004 and 2007, BCCI scheduled several tournaments and test series out of the way with Pakistan which actually resulted in the PCB being a profit making board atleast. So come out of the victim mode, PCB, BCCI has helped you more than any board ever in their history.

Ok I am happy to accept your assessment of Pakistani players ability at T20 cricket despite winning an ICL season, reaching two T20 finals and winning 1 if only you are able to provide me with a reasonable response as to why those players picked in this IPL 3 are better than the Pakistani players left out. Infact, this is the kind of debate I would love, because we are back to discussing cricket which is the point of this forum. I would love the argument that Pakistani players were left out based purely on merit or the lack of it. Go ahead my friend. I am all ears.
Winning an ICL season matters little to me, primarily because it featured players with exception of Pakistanis and a few foreigners like Bond etc, second or third level cricketers in India, and over the hill foreign players. As I said before, I do not read much into the two T20 WC performances, including that of India's in 07. I showed with the example of IPL 2 and IPL 3 how easily fortunes are reversed in T20 tournament. Of course I still believe there were some players like Akmal, Tanveer, Gul who deserved a contract but were they really "that hot" to warrant them being picked at the associated risk of being denied entry by India/Pakistan due to political purposes? I think not. There is no visible "gulf" between the talents of the aforementioned players and available non Pakistani players to justify such risks. In short, IPL doesn't think that highly of Pakistani players as you or fellow Pakistanis think so. Anyways Afridi never deserved a contract following his stupid attitude towards IPL (Big bash is better than IPL, anti Laxman comments, all reeked of the spoilt princess attitude).

In comparison, you have continued to defend this cheap political act on the part of BCCI/Latil Modi/Government despite knowing that what happened at the auction was unfair. I know you know it, and most Indian fans arguing here acknowledge it too..its just they cannot get themselves to come out and criticise their own cricket board, or their own cricketing authorities or hero Lalit Modi. But you know what mate, at times you have to rise above these petty issues and support whats just and fair.
You are barking up the wrong tree. Neither BCCI, Modi nor Government had anything to do with this. It was all decisions of individual franchises. And there is no where mentioned that Indian corporates should care for the well being of Pakistani players at any cost. It is after all a purely domestic tournament with completely Indian money backing it.

I have a question for you that should end this discussion totally. If there was no IPL, instead there was a PPL and it attracted players from all over the world, and invited everyone for the auction, and then ignore all the Indian players, how would you react? I know how I would react, I would blast the hell out of PCB and the Pakistani franchises and PPL authorities for this cheap political act and disrespecting Indian cricketers. The same reaction I have now. But would your reaction still be the same? Would you still be justifying it by providing the lame "franchises decision/political turmoil" etc? Would you still accept the "official" response from the authorities of there being no controversy?
In fact, you dont have to answer this on this forum. Just answer it to yourself :)
I would have been disappointed but not outraged at all. Even though under the circumstances it is laughable to even think about Pakistan having a PPL featuring International players, assuming for once that really happened, and this so called snub occured, I don't believe it would have been such a big issue. As I said before there is nothing political to it, and was purely a business reason. If PPL franchises thought Indian players were not worth their rupees, well, I disagree, but good on them. That is their belief.

As to the fact of being shortlisted and yet not considered for selection, remember that among the Australians who had been shortlisted such prominent names like Hughes, Bollinger, etc did not receive contracts and guys like Martyn got it purely because they had inside contacts with the franchises that picked them. So if you think IPL selections are strictly based on merit, you couldn't be further from the truth. It is a bloody corporate circus involving all dirty corporate politics, favoritism, and decisions completely weighed on money scale.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I think a PPL would be a good thing, actually. Might not attract the best of overseas talent, but anything that results in a better pay packet for their domestic cricketers could only be a good thing. Might even result in the PCB dismantling their current Qaid E Azam setup and having a proper FC tournament with state sides subsidised by the PPL.

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
No IPL ever, says Pak board

Bivabasu Kumar, Hindustan Times

Mumbai, January 24, 2010

First Published: 00:19 IST(24/1/2010)

Last Updated: 00:24 IST(24/1/2010)

Pakistan will not allow any of its players to take part in future editions of the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Speaking to Hindustan Times on Saturday, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chief Ijaz Butt said: “We are never going to allow our players to participate in IPL again. What they (IPL) did is not only embarrassing, it is also an insult to us.”

This is the first time since the January 19 IPL players’

auction that the PCB chief has reacted with specific accusations. Butt called the snub a “conspiracy” against Pakistani cricketers and said the “entire incident was pre-planned”.

“It cannot always be a unilateral decision by Mr Lalit Modi that he cannot be questioned for any of his decisions or actions. That’s not on,” said Butt. “After the auction, I tried to call him on several occasions and there’s some courtesy in returning a call. But no, he completely avoided talking to me.”

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi refused to comment on the PCB’s plans to boycott the IPL but told HT: “We don’t call any board to inform them if their players have been taken or not. And I have not got any message or calls from him (Ijaz Butt).”

Butt questioned the need to invite Pakistan in the first place if the IPL didn’t want them in the third edition of the event, and rubbished the availability issue cited by some franchisee owners.

“First, we were asked to get permission from the government for our players to play in IPL. Then, they wanted permission from the foreign office of Pakistan, and we got that in writing. After that, they wanted a no-objection letter from the interior ministry, which

we got them too,” an angry Butt said.

He added: “They (IPL) then asked us to clear visa-related issues, to whichI said the Indian government should be granting visas. But we stillcontacted Indian sports minister Mr (M.S.) Gill and he arranged visas for all our players. After all this, what makes our friends Mr Lalit Modi & Company question the availability of our players? Isn't that ridiculous and insulting?”

Butt said the plan to cold-shoulder Pakistani cricketers was deliberate, in order to prevent them playing with and against international players in the IPL, which could be a preparation for the World Twenty20 in the Caribbean later this summer. He also rejected the security concerns cited by Rajasthan Royals co-owner

Shilpa Shetty, who had said on Friday that the teams couldn't take the onus of providing security to Pakistani cricketers. “If it's unsafe for our players to play in India, then why call India a safe country,” asked thePCB chief.

“And if that is the case, they shouldn't hold the tournament at all. How can they hold a tournament if they aren't sure about security? Pakistan is going to participate in the hockey World Cup in India next month and there's no security issue, then why give such lame excuses where our cricketers are concerned?” Butt asked.

Butt, who met Pakistan sports minister Mir Aijaz Hussain Jakhrani on Friday, said the PCB would raise this issue at the February 10 meeting of the International Cricket Council.

Link: http://www.hindustantimes.com/No-IP...le1-501106.aspx

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
but they will have swine flu like sreesanth, or mad cow disease :-O
aren't you glad pakistani players would never need to be concerned about that now? they can stay in the pink of health in pakistan while the ipl is going on...

Last edited:

AaronK

State Regular
I think it is a good decision from pakistan to boycott every IPL.. I hope every single cricket boards do the same.. IPL, ICL and other 20/20 leagues are destroying the cricket.. in future we will have cricketers who would try to be hard hiters instead of great techinision of the game..because that is where the money us..

as much as it sounds good from pakistan's point of view about PPL.. the way i see it.. it wil be another 20/20 league.. another tournment to destroy the game of cricket.. so Please NO..

daghetto

Cricket Spectator
Pak players should have been picked up for IPL 3 - Shah Rukh Khan

video of interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0ngMMS54gU&feature=player_embedded

NEW DELHI: As a perceived snub to Pakistani players by the Indian Premier League spark a spat between the neighbouring countries, Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, an IPL franchisee himself, believes they should have been picked.

"I truly believe they (Pakistan players) should have been chosen," Khan, co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), said.

Khan, however, said that since "some issues" were involved the matter could have been handled by the IPL "respectfully".

No Pakistani player was bought by the eight Indian clubs during an auction on Tuesday for the third edition of the glitzy IPL despite the Pakistan team being the reigning world champions in the Twenty20 format of the cricket tournament.

Rooting for the Pakistani players, Khan said they are the best T20 players in the world. "They are the champions, they are wonderful but somewhere down the line there is an issue and we can't deny it," he told a news channel.

Khan said it was humiliating to him as a KKR owner that no one bid for the Pakistani players despite them being put up for auction.

"We are known to invite everyone. We should have. If there were any issues, they should have been put on board earlier. Everything can happen respectfully," he said.

"Everyday we blame Pakistan, everyday Pakistan blames us. It is an issue," Khan, who had five players from Pakistan playing for KKR in IPL's first edition, said.

Khan felt that the youth should circumvent all that is said about India and Pakistan by the politicians and say, "It (Pakistan) is a great neighbour to have. We are great neighbours, They are good neighbours. Let us love each other."

"Let me be honest. My family is from Pakistan, my father was born there and his family is from there," he said.
Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/s...ow/5495981.cms

ret

International Debutant
oh boy, looks like a river of tears is flowing in Pak .... how terrible (and earth shattering) that Pak players were ignored. :p .... Taking revenge (that's the common theme in Pak media these days) appears to be on the cards. There are talks abt not sending kabbadi team, hockey team to Ind. How abt not sending the cricket team for 2011 WC?

Well, if you feel so screwed up then don't ever send your players to play in IPL again. Leave us alone, start PPL, have fun

Sir Alex

Banned
Just a game, Eh ??

Pakistan News Service - PakTribune

Is this The End Of India?

Friday January 22, 2010 (1519 PST)

That is laughably dire.

No Pakistani players in future IPLs? Oh noes!

Good riddance i'd say. Technically this is the equivalent of proclaiming not to go to the neighbour's house after being kicked out. Nobody but perhaps the Pakistani players themselves are going to miss out on this.

Last edited:

jeevan

International 12th Man
fella cant even spell noam chomsky's name properly

its painful to read on so many levels

i kinda get embarrassed sometimes :(
S/he also spelled Khushwant Singh incorrectly. And I don't see the parallels between those two people.

FWIW, author is not right in thinking Indian media to have been silent, and GoI, BCCI and IPL franchisees have been somewhat defensive about this whole thing (all of them sort of pointing fingers elsewhere).

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Pak players should have been picked up for IPL 3 - Shah Rukh Khan

"I truly believe they (Pakistan players) should have been chosen," Khan, co-owner of Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR), said.
That is such a lot of BULL...The bloody moron is a IPL franchisee, if he wanted Pakistani players he should have bid for them. Why did he not bid for them?? All this is talk is just two-faced bull****.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is such a lot of BULL...The bloody moron is a IPL franchisee, if he wanted Pakistani players he should have bid for them. Why did he not bid for them?? All this is talk is just two-faced bull****.
Exactly.. The guy can act well even on the small screen I guess.. :)

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
^ Now you know how much hatred India has injecting in Pakistan for themselves.....just US is injecting hate in hearts of Iraqis and Afghanis....carry on with making enemies ...