• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dewald Pretorius

Craig

World Traveller
Dewald Pretourious

Does anybody really rate him?

I think he has some potential and I like the fact he can reverse swing a cricket ball (from the 7 overs he bowled in the Lords Tests) and that will be a bonus to the South African team.

However, I would like to see him buck up his accuracy a bit.

Andre

International Regular
Highly.

Dewald to me is a bowler with significant potential - raw pace and enthusiasm.

To make it to where he has following his bringing up in an orphanige is a top effort.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
And his hero was Hansie Cronje.

Well that goes for loads of people then...

Top effort, i agree considering his upbringing, he grew up in an orphanage in Bloemfontein after his stepdad was murdered.. He says cricket saved his life..

As a bowler, he looked the pick of the SA bowlers (Pollock and Ntini apart) in the first two tests, he has a good strong action with plenty of pace, and i think he is quite accurate although obviously more accuracy would help...

Definitely one for the future, and playing in England has made him go from strength to strength, unlike a number of South Africans...

Andre

International Regular
I can see Ntini and Pretorius as a long term opening combination myself. Add Ngam as a future first change, and Pollock (who I think will start to score more runs soon), and that will be a pretty mean South African attack.

Shame there is no standout spinner though - what happened to Goolam Bodi?

Craig

World Traveller
If Ngam can stay fit, then yes. Pretorious went for over 5 an over at Lords although he was struggling with a calf injury.

Bazza

International 12th Man
What about Hall, who bowled well at Lords, and Kallis, who we're yet to see in this series.

I'd say with Pollock, Ntini, Kallis, Hall + Pretorious and Ngam (+ Klusener?), they have a decent group of bowlers right now.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Shame there is no standout spinner though - what happened to Goolam Bodi?
From what I heard he was just a rather average although unothodox left arm chinaman bowler, dressed up simply because of the colour of his skin. His batting has become his reason for selection in his SA domestic team, rather like Chris Schofield it seems.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Goolam Bodi was one of "previously disadvantaged" group when it came to the colour of his skin, even if he was probably barely ten years old during apartheid...

Anyway, i dont think he was any great shakes, similar to Robbie Peterson

Im glad that SA are easing off on the old quota system.. Who needs them when there is genuine talent around in the coloured segment already? (Ntini, Adams, Gibbs, Ngam)

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
i think kallis is under-rated as a bowler. i agree with bazza. the current line-up is fine.

Craig

World Traveller
Jacques Rudolph said:
I think Goolam Bodi was one of "previously disadvantaged" group when it came to the colour of his skin, even if he was probably barely ten years old during apartheid...

Anyway, i dont think he was any great shakes, similar to Robbie Peterson

Im glad that SA are easing off on the old quota system.. Who needs them when there is genuine talent around in the coloured segment already? (Ntini, Adams, Gibbs, Ngam)
I was surprised that when I first found out that Gibbs is actually a coloured player. Looking at his skin, it is white as any other person, so somebody in his family must be a coloured or black.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I was surprised that when I first found out that Gibbs is actually a coloured player. Looking at his skin, it is white as any other person, so somebody in his family must be a coloured or black.
It's not as white as Pollock etc.

I think the term is cape coloured, but I'm sure a South African will confirm that.