• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting - most wins as player and captain

What does the milestone mean ?

• Both a better captain than Waugh and better cricketer than Warne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Well that puts the Aussies above England, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, Pakistan, West Indies, and Bangladesh (i'm assuming a similar order). Not pretty reading really considering recent results.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Last option.

Sure, he inheritred a golden chalice which gave his captaincy the ultimate kickstart, but the sheer number of test wins, regardless of circumstance, both as player and captain, is an immense achievement in itself.

Hopefully before he hangs up the bat, he can round those numbers up to 100 test wins with 50 as captain.
Jeez, I'd hope he'd play in a few more than 7-8 test wins in the remainder of his career. Hopefully two more this current series, two more in NZ in March, two tests vs Pakistan in England, and then a full Ashes tour by England next summer. That's 11 tests before I'd imagine he'd even be thinking about retiring (the World Cup follows the Ashes, and I'd imagine he'd want to go through to that, so they'd have to drop him to get him out before then), and I'd hope we win at least 8 of them.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Reckon if he makes it through to our next World Cup, that would be a pretty tempting time for him to go - either from his point of view or the selectors. The only man to have played in 4 WC winning teams has a nice ring to it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon if he makes it through to our next World Cup, that would be a pretty tempting time for him to go - either from his point of view or the selectors. The only man to have played in 4 WC winning teams has a nice ring to it.
He'll want to go back to England I reckon.

Sir Alex

Banned
3 right?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Amazing records. I think people (including myself) are a little harsh on him as he had a tough act to follow. He obviously is not in the same league as Waugh as a captain but to have his longevity as player and captain and maintain his form over the long term is remarkable.

I know I have asked this previously but I cant remember, who was the last Aussie captain before Ponting to lose 2 Ashes series in England?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Didn't go back and check specifically, but pretty sure he played in the 99 final. Hell, did he play in 96?

EDIT: Yes, to both. Or you may have missed that I was saying that it WOULD be four, if we win the 2011 WC...

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Amazing records. I think people (including myself) are a little harsh on him as he had a tough act to follow. He obviously is not in the same league as Waugh as a captain but to have his longevity as player and captain and maintain his form over the long term is remarkable.

I know I have asked this previously but I cant remember, who was the last Aussie captain before Ponting to lose 2 Ashes series in England?
Billy Murdoch in 1890.

Rant0r

International 12th Man

I think you'd have to go back to the 60's, without actually looking

Didn't go back and check specifically, but pretty sure he played in the 99 final. Hell, did he play in 96?

EDIT: Yes, to both. Or you may have missed that I was saying that it WOULD be four, if we win the 2011 WC...
1999, 2003 and 2007 that makes 3 right? :p
That and he didn't captain in '99, so it would be 4 wins and 3 as captain

Sir Alex

Banned

ok.:ph34r: I missed the "our" world cup.