• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Bond - Retirement and Tributes

James

Cricket Web Owner
Shame to see him go, a great bowler and seemed a great person too judging by his interviews, etc. One of the "nice" guys in international cricket.

All the what ifs are really interesting, and another one I suppose is, if not for his injuries, would we have been saying he's the equal or even better than Hadlee? It's such a shame a player of his quality is brought down to injury after injury.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
To me he sounds like someone who is sick and tired of waking up with niggles, aches and strains and has finally asked himself "what's the point of all this" without being able to give himself a convincing answer.

Shane Warne said when he retired that you just know when the right time to go is. Perhaps during the World T20, or even at the IPL, Bond reached that point.

edit: to those bemoaning his retirement a year before the World Cup - Bond has always struck me as the sort of player who'll leave everything he's got on the pitch in order to perform, he could probably hold back a bit, bowl consistently at 80-85mph and still be a bloody good bowler, but it's not in his makeup to perform like that. The mercenary thing to do in that situation would be to continue for a year not putting in 100%.

Without wishing to derail the thread, I wouldn't be all that suprised to see Flintoff retire this summer either. He'll have been living a very cushy lifestyle for the last 6 months - ok, he's going through rehab, but he's been in Dubai, with nice hot weather and will have been able to spend some quality time with his family, and has started some media work with his panel show on Sky. The first time he plays again for Lancashire, and wakes up sore the next day, it wouldn't suprise me at all if Flintoff asks himself what the point in him continuing is - if he makes his way back to full fitness and the England LO set up, there's potentially 13 ODIs, plus 2 T20Is this summer, as well as 7 ODIs and 2 T20Is in Australia, before a long, gruelling World Cup and possibly IPL in the subcontinent. It wouldn't suprise me in the slightest if at some point in between, Flintoff questions what the hell he's doing when he's had such a cushy lifestyle for the past 6 months.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
A bit early IMO. But hats off to him, what a bowler. Fast and Furious. That's what makes cricket so kool fast bowlers like Bond. I am a fast bowler myself, (at least i try to be), and truly admire the fast bowlers like Bond, who bend their back to take apart the people with a stick in their hand.

Best of luck Bond.

thierry henry

International Coach
You are kidding, right?..
Why would I be kidding when I say I really wanted Bond to be playing for us at the World Cup?

I don't know how many disclaimers I need to put in a post to stop people from deliberately misinterpreting it....I don't blame Bond at all, but that doesn't change the fact that it is extremely annoying as an NZ fan that, whatever the reasons may be, we have players retiring left right and centre at relatively young ages after unfulfilled careers.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Shane Bond was a terrific player. All the best to him in his retirement. He gave me, and lots of other cricket fans lots of joy with his wonderful fast bowling and pleasant attitude. Not every fast bowler has to have 'attitude'. :happy: