• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
if he wasn't dropped for performance, what was he dropped for? Disciplinary issues? If that's the case, the last thing we want is another indisciplined player in the Test team....
Dispute between him and Ganga or something to that effect and/or he just took a break to finish his house. He wasn't awful by any means and certainly couldn't have been dropped for poor performance.

roseboy64

Need to stop babying Bravo, make him bowl less overs and bat him in a settled position and make him prove himself. Batting him 7 just gives him an easy way out. Can't win matches if you lessen your bowling.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't follow? The playing of ill timed shots doesn't relate to batting ability. Relates only to mental stamina.
DWTA, shot selection is a skill that can be developed. Ask Michael Clarke who, if anything, has gone too far the other way.

roseboy64

DWTA, shot selection is a skill that can be developed. Ask Michael Clarke who, if anything, has gone too far the other way.
Yes it can be developed but that doesn't detract from his potential to do much better than he currently does?

Top_Cat

Yes it can be developed but that doesn't detract from his potential to do much better than he currently does?
Yeah but the ability to not play silly shots almost as much as how many he has in his arsenal does count towards whether he's good enough to bat at 6. On that basis, if he's unwilling/unable, then he probably shouldn't be at 6.

Last edited:

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Did anyone catch the Gayle interview on the Herald Sun site?

"[Comment From David Banks]
Hi Chris, Do you think you tried to dominate too quickly with the bat in the first test? You seemed to be in a rush for quick runs. Is this a by-product of T20 and 50 over games, whereas you could have taken more time over five days?"

Gayle: the way i got out wasn't attacking .. i was trying to block .. maybe i should be more attacking this test?!

Top_Cat

Did anyone catch the Gayle interview on the Herald Sun site?

"[Comment From David Banks]
Hi Chris, Do you think you tried to dominate too quickly with the bat in the first test? You seemed to be in a rush for quick runs. Is this a by-product of T20 and 50 over games, whereas you could have taken more time over five days?"

Gayle: the way i got out wasn't attacking .. i was trying to block .. maybe i should be more attacking this test?!
He should! Can see a few 6's over cover at Adelaide.

shivfan

Banned
Need to stop babying Bravo, make him bowl less overs and bat him in a settled position and make him prove himself. Batting him 7 just gives him an easy way out. Can't win matches if you lessen your bowling.
And while we wait for Bravo to finally fulfil his potential as a Test batsman, do we let the WI team suffer in the interim?
:dry:
How many more Tests do we give him to finally live up to his expectations as a Test batsman? Don't get me wrong - his bowling is very good, but having him in the top six weakens our batting....

Here's a brief analysis of the last 15 innings of both Nash and Bravo:

Nash - one century, four half-centuries, 522 runs, ave 34.8

Bravo - no centuries, three half-centuries, 430 runs, ave 28.7

Matt79

Global Moderator
Don't follow? The playing of ill timed shots doesn't relate to batting ability. Relates only to mental stamina.
Shot selection and mental stamina are vital parts of overall ability as a test batsmen. You don't have them, you don't have the ability to be a test batsmen.

Burgey

Is he normally known as being not good for this sort of thing?
He was well known for having a chat and a beer for a good while, and was decent company. In more recent times (last 2-3 years) it's fair to say when he's come to have a look at some of his old team mates play (which hasn't been often tbf) he's been a prat sometimes.

dizzy

Cricket Spectator
The official Test squad is as follows:

Chris Gayle (capt), Adrian Barath, Sulieman Benn, Dwayne Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Travis Dowlin, Brendan Nash, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Darren Sammy, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Jerome Taylor, Gavin Tonge.

Fidel Edwards has a knee injury. Not a bad effort from the selectors, the only difference to my preferred squad is Benn being the spinner (wrong the decision), the lack of a back up opener and Fidel being out through injury.
The criticism of the Windies is unjustified and coming from Australia who we helped in the 80's when they were crap and the crowds were staying away.

There is much to be done in the West Indies by getting the infrastructure right and focus on training facilities others now take for granted. The availability of financial resources is scarce and it might be that the ICC needs to assist a bit more.

The preparation for the first test following the players strike was less than adequate with only one match played, Gayle having to go home and Sarwan not fit.

This said the Windies capitulated far too easily to good but not exceptional bowling. Despite the inadequate preparations, all players have to focus on crease occupation.

If West Indies win the toss at the AO they should bat first and for as long as possible to pressurise the Aussies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

How many more Tests do we give him to finally live up to his expectations as a Test batsman? Don't get me wrong - his bowling is very good, but having him in the top six weakens our batting....
Even having Daren Ganga in the top six wouldn't weaken West Indies batting. Anyone who can average over 25 in Tests is worthy of a place in West Indies top six.

Anyway, you're aware that the Gabba Test was Bravo's first in about a year-and-a-half, right? Somehow I don't think your analysis is an accurate reflection of "recent" form/performance.

roseboy64

Even having Daren Ganga in the top six wouldn't weaken West Indies batting. Anyone who can average over 25 in Tests is worthy of a place in West Indies top six.

Anyway, you're aware that the Gabba Test was Bravo's first in about a year-and-a-half, right? Somehow I don't think your analysis is an accurate reflection of "recent" form/performance.
Bravo at 32 has the lowest average in the top 6.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bravo at 32 has the lowest average in the top 6.
Now if only they, aside from Chanderpaul, performed consistently enough to justify their averages. If the top 6 batsmen were that good, West Indies would surely be scoring more runs, more often, right? Or is Bravo such a weak link that he miraculously drags everyone else down with his individual underperformance? Averages clearly tell the whole story about the strength of the West Indies batting order.