• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies In Australia

pasag

RTDAS
Not the first time Haddin's done that.

EDIT:

Clarke to Broom, OUT, Australia claw back, now there's a bit of controversy here, Clarke gets it to skid through on a good length, Broom makes a lot of room to cut but he's beaten for pace, the ball appears to clip the top of the off bail but replays indicate that Haddin had his gloves in front of the stumps before the ball could make contact. Did the ball actually hit the stumps? Did Haddin whip off the bails by mistake? Very inconclusive but no wonder Broom looked perplexed as he walked back

NT Broom b Clarke 29 (52m 50b 2x4 0x6) SR: 58.00

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
3. Position of wicket-keeper
The wicket-keeper shall remain wholly behind the wicket at the
striker's end from the moment the ball comes into play until
(a) a ball delivered by the bowler
either (i) touches the bat or person of the striker

In the event of the wicket-keeper contravening this Law, the umpire
at the striker's end shall call and signal No ball as soon as
possible after the delivery of the ball.

So unless Haddin's gloves were behind the stumps at the moment the ball contacted the bat it should've been a no ball.
Ah, misunderstood the question - yes, obviously a 'keeper has to be behind the stumps when the ball actually hits the bat. Nothing to stop him taking the catch in front of the stumps though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, totally different circumstances. There's nothing wrong at all with catching someone in front of the stumps. Hell, you can be in front of the stumps for a stumping too, provided it hits something on the way. It was only an issue in the situation against NZ because Haddin might have interfered with the stumps.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah, misunderstood the question - yes, obviously a 'keeper has to be behind the stumps when the ball actually hits the bat. Nothing to stop him taking the catch in front of the stumps though.
Bit of miscommunication perhaps, I was responding to Marc., saying that the catch is void if the keeper's gloves are infront of the stumps. Didn't find it necessary at the time to add in the "at the moment of ball coming into contact with the bat" as in this particular example it was off the bowling of Hauritz and unless Haddin is the greatest keeper to ever grace the game his hands must have been infrotn of the stumps at the moment of contact to complete the catch infront of the stumps.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, totally different circumstances. There's nothing wrong at all with catching someone in front of the stumps. Hell, you can be in front of the stumps for a stumping too, provided it hits something on the way. It was only an issue in the situation against NZ because Haddin might have interfered with the stumps.
Did Haddin's gloves come in front of the stumps after the batsman hit it vs. WI?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Adrian Barath, what can you say? Making your debut at 19 years of age on a ground that Australia have not lost at for 20 years and which Ponting described as the hardest place for foreign players to make their debut in World cricket, and he produces an amazing innings like that. Unbelievable stuff, I have been following his career since he was 13 years old I am incredibly proud of his performance. 104 out of 187 on debut? Wow.

Thank God for that innings as without it this would have been our most depressing test match for years and that really is saying something.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Adrian Barath, what can you say? Making your debut at 19 years of age on a ground that Australia have not lost at for 20 years and which Ponting described as the hardest place for foreign players to make their debut in World cricket, and he produces an amazing innings like that. Unbelievable stuff, I have been following his career since he was 13 years old I am incredibly proud of his performance. 104 out of 187 on debut? Wow.

Thank God for that innings as without it this would have been our most depressing test match for years and that really is saying something.
Was very happy to give him a standing ovation, twice. He really provided the fight that has been missing from the WI teams of late. Really deserved his ton.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Was thinking - would Australia's score be close to the highest made without at least one century?

howardj

International Coach
This Series is precisely what Test cricket did not need at this particular time.

Next to England, we're probably the Country that most supports Test cricket, and this Series gives journalists a golden opportunity to write negative articles about the longer form of the game. This negativity was encapsulated in a piece in the Courier Mail on Friday, by none other than boofhead journalist himself Ben Dorries, highlighting the poor attendance. He neglected to mention that last year's first day of the Gabba Test drew even less fans.

Anyway, I maintain that if England, South Africa or India had have fronted at the Gabba last week, we would have seen very healthy crowds. In Australia anyway, Tests are not in trouble if the opposition is strong.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, thought Gerald Squeezer on the Offsiders this morning was actually quite good in rebutting this. We have mismatches in every major sport - many of which draw poorer crowds than the best contests. NZ plays Scotland in rugby, Brazil plays Australia in soccer, teams play Fremantle in the AFL and the fact those contests usually aren't close doesn't signal the death of those sports.

While it's disppointing the match wasn't closer, can't see how anyone can complain about a match - and sport - that can provide something like Barath's effort on debut.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, I maintain that if England, South Africa or India had have fronted at the Gabba last week, we would have seen very healthy crowds. In Australia anyway, Tests are not in trouble if the opposition is strong.
The crowds last season weren't that great from memory.

Which is, in a way, a good thing. The administrators in this country need a wake-up call about biting the hands that feed them; if you want to make money, you can't be so damn particular about who comes through the door. Might not like the bogan element but if they're the ones paying your wage.....

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
The Adelaide oval for the second test is cut in half, the general admission area just looks tiny and urgh. Anyone planning on going to the Adelaide test.

howardj

International Coach
The crowds last season weren't that great from memory.

Yeah, but NZ were the opposition.

For the other half of the Summer, against South Africa, the crowds from memory were generally healthy.

I agree about not turning away the bogan element though- I mean yesterday at the Gabba the Authorities actually closed a bar because people were 'too rowdy'. Now, I am not an expert in this area, but I'd say such action is heavy handed and certainly won't attract people to the game.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, but NZ were the opposition.

For the other half of the Summer, against South Africa, the crowds from memory were generally healthy.

I agree about not turning away the bogan element though- I mean yesterday at the Gabba the Authorities actually closed a bar because people were 'too rowdy'. Now, I am not an expert in this area, but I'd say such action is heavy handed and certainly won't attract people to the game.
Exactly what I'm talking about. It's a ****ing joke. I mean, do the cricket associations actually want to make money or not?! Most of the grounds have banned smoking, limited drinking, Mexican waves, blow-up balls, backpacks (despite searches before going into the ground) and swearing is on the list I'm sure. And the heirarchy of the grounds are surprised when people stop turning up to the games? Seriously?

Y'know what's really funny? It seems like SACA are the least prudish on this issue.