Cricket Betting Site Betway
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Australia and T20's

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Owner James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    25,796

    Australia and T20's

    Australia and T20's
    The Australian cricket hierarchy still appear unable to take T20 cricket seriously. This article discusses possible implications.
    by Corey Taylor

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    I found this article to be very poorly written and the research is laughable. It was not that long ago the aussie selectors were slated for considering Warner a 20/20 specialist and even of late they have been critisized for not looking at Hughes as a ODI player. I think this is just a cheap shot at Clarke becuae he has been made captain of the aus T20, remarks about him not reaching a half century as reason for question marks about his suitability must be the punchline to this joke.

  3. #3
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    67,551
    And I think you're entitled to your view, but if you're goning to come on here and ****-can someone for taking the time to voluntarily contribute to the site, you might want to post your views in a more concilatory manner, ****.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

    "Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Yeah, Criticism is fine but this is attacking the integrity of the writer. I think we also need to understand that such threads aren't started for providing feedback (at least that is what I think) but to use that article as the starting point of a discussion on the issue.

    Good Effort Corey.


  5. #5
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Spot on Corey.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame Member age_master's Avatar
    Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    15,777
    I disagree but it certainly wasn't poorly written. i think T20 is still coming up to the level of ODI's in terms of how seriously countries take them, but it is getting there, the champions league certainly helped that.

    It will be interesting to see if Clarke is rested from more ODI's now so actually does his job as captain in the T20's and plays rather than resting for most of them.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

  7. #7
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    I think this is just a cheap shot at Clarke becuae he has been made captain of the aus T20, remarks about him not reaching a half century as reason for question marks about his suitability must be the punchline to this joke.
    I think it's a very fair claim to make, and Corey (the writer) is certainly not alone in his thoughts; if you look through the thread that was made here after Clarke was given the T20 captaincy, you can see that most people disagreed with him being selected in the team in the first place, let alone being chosen to lead it. The fact is, from 19 T20Is, he averages 19.63 at an SR of 102.36. And his domestic stats are hardly any better. If that were anyone else, I don't think many people would disagree with him being dropped from the team, but because it's Michael Clarke, future Test captain of Australia, very few questions have been asked.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    991
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    I think it's a very fair claim to make, and Corey (the writer) is certainly not alone in his thoughts; if you look through the thread that was made here after Clarke was given the T20 captaincy, you can see that most people disagreed with him being selected in the team in the first place, let alone being chosen to lead it. The fact is, from 19 T20Is, he averages 19.63 at an SR of 102.36. And his domestic stats are hardly any better. If that were anyone else, I don't think many people would disagree with him being dropped from the team, but because it's Michael Clarke, future Test captain of Australia, very few questions have been asked.
    Compare Clarkes record to Dhoni's they are very similar but both are yet to score a fifty. Are you suggesting Dhoni should be dropped.

    Look at Australias record of players that have played T20 then compare that to other teams and you will soon see where this is a story without foundation.

  9. #9
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Compare Clarkes record to Dhoni's they are very similar but both are yet to score a fifty. Are you suggesting Dhoni should be dropped.
    Clarke doesn't keep wickets or have a T20 WC to his name.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,205
    He does add a lot in the field, and potentially bowling-wise too. Not saying he should necessarily be captain, but given time you would think he could be a valuable member of the team. The problem is, even if he's not playing T20 for Australia that doesn't mean he'll play any more domestic T20 as the schedules don't fit that way. Sure, he could play IPL, but is it a good idea to push such a critical player with a long-standing injury problem into a crazy tournament like that on top of everything else?

  11. #11
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Compare Clarkes record to Dhoni's they are very similar but both are yet to score a fifty. Are you suggesting Dhoni should be dropped.

    Look at Australias record of players that have played T20 then compare that to other teams and you will soon see where this is a story without foundation.
    If the cupboard was bare, I'd agree with you, but when Clarke is getting picked over players with far superior records (Hodge, Katich, Voges, and Carseldine off the top of my head), something's gone wrong. But, like Corey has said, it looks like those players aren't going to get picked for T20 because they're not really going to go on to play Tests (or, in Katich's case, are pigeonholed as specialist Test players).

  12. #12
    I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    25,248
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    Compare Clarkes record to Dhoni's they are very similar but both are yet to score a fifty. Are you suggesting Dhoni should be dropped.

    Look at Australias record of players that have played T20 then compare that to other teams and you will soon see where this is a story without foundation.
    As it's already been said, Dhoni keeps wickets, and he captains pretty well to boot. Plus, his T20 record at non-international level is better than Clarke's: 1170 runs @ 35.45 with 5 half centuries. Clarke? 367 @ 21.58 (216 of which are at T20I level).

    However, Clarke has played just less than half the amount of games than Dhoni has, so he can be excused for not having the stats yet. But he is also captain, and if he was taking a significant burden with the ball or with wicket-keeping, I think he could be excused for having the captaincy, but as it is it seems he doesn't know his craft at this form of the game and IMO shouldn't be captain of the T20I side at this time. He's having the training wheels taken off while he's still learning how to brake.

    As for his contemporaries, those who have played the same amount of matches (or less) than Clarke. No foundation indeed.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

  13. #13
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,060
    Clarke is probably a bit unfairly treated at T20I level though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2187
    Last Post: 26-09-2009, 04:34 PM
  2. *Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs
    By James in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-08-2009, 07:20 AM
  3. Group C - Australia, Sri Lanka, West Indies
    By TT Boy in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 1107
    Last Post: 27-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •