• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist v Dhoni

Whom would you pick in your team?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In ODIs, averaging 40 in the top 3 and averaging 40 batting lower than that are two very different things.
Indeed they are - as an top-three batsman you've got a ghost of a chance of averaging 40; as a lower-middle-order batsman you've virtually no chance of doing so. The precious few people who have thus deserve recognition as special players, in my book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Openers face the new ball, and generally the stronger bowlers.
Openers also get most of the Powerplays (for most of Gilchrist's career the only Powerplay came at the start of the innings) while middle-order batsmen only very rarely get much Powerplay. It is also far from guaranteed that new-ball is the most difficult time to bat - there are plenty of occasions when it's the best. Especially in the subcontinent.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You can't just look at averages in this case.

Gilchrist almost always opened, Dhoni has spent a significant chunk of his career in the lower middle order.

In ODIs, averaging 40 in the top 3 and averaging 40 batting lower than that are two very different things.
The averages are misleading for 2 reasons:

1) Gilly opens and Dhoni gets many more not outs.

2) Openers face the new ball, and generally the stronger bowlers. Dhoni faces the 4th and 5th bowling options for a significant % of his innings.

edit; Gilchrist 11 Not outs in 187 innings. Dhoni 34 not outs in 130 innings.
As SS said, even when you consider the not outs as outs of Dhoni, he averages more. The difference of 14 is plenty. Dhoni can rotate the strike in the middle overs and bludgeon it in the later overs. You have other explosive openers to replace Gilly but there is hardly a player like Dhoni (who is a wicket keeper as well) who has played ODI cricket. Over all Gilchrist>Dhoni at the moment but some would still pick Dhoni to make a stronger XI even right now. Bevan and Dhoni coming in later on is just mouth watering.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As SS said, even when you consider the not outs as outs of Dhoni, he averages more. The difference of 14 is plenty. Dhoni can rotate the strike in the middle overs and bludgeon it in the later overs. You have other explosive openers to replace Gilly but there is hardly a player like Dhoni (who is a wicket keeper as well) who has played ODI cricket. Over all Gilchrist>Dhoni at the moment but some would still pick Dhoni to make a stronger XI even right now. Bevan and Dhoni coming in later on is just mouth watering.
Even Bevan didn't have half the strike-rotating skill that Dhoni does tbh. You could attribute that to his era but it wouldn't make it any less true.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
i don't think it is as cut-and-dried as some suggest...dhoni has been better thus far, remains to be seen whether he will continue to be...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Bevan could take singles at will and was better than Dhoni in this respect when comparing the two. I agree with Top Cat here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even Bevan didn't have half the strike-rotating skill that Dhoni does tbh.
Interested to hear how you came to that conclusion. By your own previously given timelines I've tended to presume you didn't watch much if any of Bevan?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist, because in my opinion him and Tendulkar are far and away the best two openers to have played the game.
not even close...barring the occasional spectacular flourishes, gilchrist was a wash as a one day opener, there are quite a few other players who have better credentials as odi openers..

Uppercut

Bevan could take singles at will and was better than Dhoni in this respect when comparing the two. I agree with Top Cat here.
So can Dhoni, tbf.

That's not really what I meant to say though, now that I think about it. I consider Dhoni a better finisher. Particularly batting in the first innings.

Top_Cat

Don't agree?
Only that there's much between them. Hard to say who's better, I reckon. They both continue what Miandad started but add boundary-hitting to it (Dhoni a heavier hitter, though). Both can be quite unorthodox when trying to pierce/go over the field too. I'd only give it to Bevvo right now because he did it for so long and did it in some big tournaments in some awfully rough situations.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

I presume you hated "Bevvo" because you thought him a **** (or was it just that he beat SA once?) rather than because you thought him an inadaquete OD batsman?
Haha, never forgave him for leaving SA. He and Lehmann were supposed to be the next generation for SA. Painful memories, tbh.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
So can Dhoni, tbf.

Dhoni is the better finisher...
Dhoni can't rotate the strike as well as Bevan IMO though Dhoni is the better four hitter at the death. Over all, I don't know who is the better finisher though. You can think Dhoni to be the better finisher - that is a perfectly fine outlook.

Edit - as Top Cat says, I would give it to Bevan right not given he did it so many more times (same reason I would consider Gilchrist>Dhoni right now) and many a time in bigger matches. Not belittling Dhoni as he has played some very big and important innings.

Last edited:

Burgey

Find this a tough call tbh. Dhoni's modified his game a fair bit (and copped some flak for it iirc) but to me he's a more rounded ODI player than Gilly. That's probably, at least to an extent, because of where he bats in the order.

Both good runners between wickets, both big bombers of the ball, both fine wicketkeepers.

I guess we'll have to wait a few years to see how Dhoni progresses, but every time I see him play he impresses me more and more. His keeping in particular on India's last tour here was outstanding.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, never forgave him for leaving SA. He and Lehmann were supposed to be the next generation for SA. Painful memories, tbh.
You know I never even knew Bevan left SA. Until now thought he was born-and-bred NSW.

I guess your hate is forgiveable then.

Uppercut

Dhoni can't rotate the strike as well as Bevan IMO though Dhoni is the better four hitter at the death. Over all, I don't know who is the better finisher though. You can think Dhoni to be the better finisher - that is a perfectly fine outlook.

Edit - as Top Cat says, I would give it to Bevan right not given he did it so many more times and many a time in bigger matches. Not belittling Dhoni as he has played some very big and important innings.
It's not an easy call by any means. But what Dhoni did today just wasn't really in Bevan's armory (beat his ODI high score, incidentally), and for me that gives him the edge.

I'll do some quick stats work on their running between the wickets.

Top_Cat

You know I never even knew Bevan left SA. Until now thought he was born-and-bred NSW.

I guess your hate is forgiveable then.
Canberra-born, as a matter of fact. Came to SA to get a game early doors then was lured back by the evil Waugh twins.