• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Moles Resigns; NZ Coaching Situation

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They might not be as flashy as McCullum but at least they've got IQs in triple figures.

Howsie

International Captain
McCullum? Have you seen the other keepers?
Does McCullum deserve to be in the team? Imo he doesn't. He hasn't done anything for New Zealand for a long, long time, not to mention trying to get out of playing for NZ to play in the IPL.

Give McGlashan a proper run in the ODI team, he has an average of 35 in List A cricket, I would expect him to do just as well as McCullum as of late. Send the "superstar" back to domestic cricket, something he seems to really want to play.

Meridio

International Regular
Well, that was quick.

Largely in agreement with Heath and Straw Man on how much slack Bracewell was given in comparison. Also, definitely don't think making Vettori the coach as well is a good idea. He's got enough on his plate as it is. I've got no idea who we could get as a replacement coach. I can't see how anything is different to what it was when Moles took over, and we didn't exactly have a swarm of high-quality applicants then. John Wright didn't appear interested back then so I'm not sure he'd be any more interested now.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Does McCullum deserve to be in the team? Imo he doesn't. He hasn't done anything for New Zealand for a long, long time, not to mention trying to get out of playing for NZ to play in the IPL.

Give McGlashan a proper run in the ODI team, he has an average of 35 in List A cricket, I would expect him to do just as well as McCullum as of late. Send the "superstar" back to domestic cricket, something he seems to really want to play.
:laugh:

McGlashan averages 35 in List A? The same tournament Baz scored 170 in one of his only outings last season? McCullum is a far superior batsman than any other current NZ keeper in limited overs and FC cricket. As for not doing anything in a long long long time?
He averaged 47 in ODI's last year.

The strategy for McCullum to anchor the innings and play slowly was one of Moles' ideas so whether or not that continues should be interesting. This was by no means our worst year in terms of keepers or openers for NZ cricket anyway. 26.10 for 09 and in the CT we saw him hitting a few 40s (if he went on this discussion wouldn't be occuring)

Should McCullum open? Probably not. Should McCullum be in the team? Yes.

Howsie

International Captain
:laugh:

McGlashan averages 35 in List A? The same tournament Baz scored 170 in one of his only outings last season? McCullum is a far superior batsman than any other current NZ keeper in limited overs and FC cricket. As for not doing anything in a long long long time?
He averaged 47 in ODI's last year.

The strategy for McCullum to anchor the innings and play slowly was one of Moles' ideas so whether or not that continues should be interesting. This was by no means our worst year in terms of keepers or openers for NZ cricket anyway. 26.10 for 09 and in the CT we saw him hitting a few 40s (if he went on this discussion wouldn't be occuring)
Should McCullum open? Probably not. Should McCullum be in the team? Yes.
:laugh: If he went on, is that some way of trying to defend him? Fact is he hasn't, 26.10 is nothing to write home about.

As for averaging 47 last year, take out that 166 against a second string Ireland team and it drops all the way back to 32, hardly impressive.

GGG

State Captain
yep I agree with dropping McCullum until he gets his form back, also dropped a couple of sitters over the last month or two if I remember correctly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
:laugh: If he went on, is that some way of trying to defend him? Fact is he hasn't, 26.10 is nothing to write home about.

As for averaging 47 last year, take out that 166 against a second string Ireland team and it drops all the way back to 32, hardly impressive.
He was anchoring the innings, check out the scores for the partnerships, he rotated the strike and got out when trying to up the tempo of his own innings. McCullum isn't a great batsman and got out trying to change gears. McGlashan who is the second best limited overs option in New Zealand has even less of a range in terms of how he bats.
If people are complaining about McCullum getting out to stupid strokes then McGlashan will be getting an earful as well. Just never really content with someone doing a moderate job in NZ cricket.

Howsie

International Captain
He was anchoring the innings, check out the scores for the partnerships, he rotated the strike and got out when trying to up the tempo of his own innings. McCullum isn't a great batsman and got out trying to change gears. McGlashan who is the second best limited overs option in New Zealand has even less of a range in terms of how he bats.
If people are complaining about McCullum getting out to stupid strokes then McGlashan will be getting an earful as well. Just never really content with someone doing a moderate job in NZ cricket.
Neither am I, that's why I feel McCullum needs to be dopped. I'm not saying McGlashan is a better batsmen, because he quite clearly isn't. But McCullum has to feel some sort of pressure for his place, why should he just be given an automatic selection?

And for the most part I'm not complaining with how McCullum get's out, I just have a problem with him not showing up when we need him to.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet keeping him in the side will? At the moment he isn't firing, that much is plain, and the fact he's opening the batting is even worse. What I think is that McCullum should bat where he wants to bat, and if he performs well enough over a period of time then he'll stay in the side. If not, it's domestic cricket.

What do Black Caps fans feel about the idea of McCullum being a "floater" in the batting order, coming in at a time when the coaches and McCullum feel that he can perform best. Rather than sticking him at the top, or down at #7 and his attidude and batting being the same in all situations

Athlai

Not Terrible
He is intentionally not 'firing' he is trying to be an anchor and failing. I'm sure he could still slog if he was told to just slog.

I reckon the best option is to let McCullum play how he wants to play, the floating role sounds ideal for him. I think he is a great opener BUT only when we chase, he is far far less effective at putting runs on the board in the first.

Athlai

Not Terrible
But he's Brendon McCullum, "batting superstar" I'm pretty sure he's been told to score runs all year, that hasn't really helped too much.
Brendon McCullum 'batting superstar' was told to anchor the innings and be there for the last 40 overs. Something he tried to do but wasn't good enough to do. Lasted the first 20 but scored as much runs as he naturally would in 6-10 anyway.

Howsie

International Captain
Brendon McCullum 'batting superstar' was told to anchor the innings and be there for the last 40 overs. Something he tried to do but wasn't good enough to do. Lasted the first 20 but scored as much runs as he naturally would in 6-10 anyway.
Well with Moles gone he better perform then.