• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oram to retire

Athlai

Not Terrible
Whilst I agree about the fact that McIntosh isnt going to succeed in the long run,Daniel Flynn is a a different case for mine. He looks the part to me and although he has failed to nail down his spot he hasnt failed terribly either. He will be as frustrated as anyone at his inability to convert his scores but we must persist with him.

Im really hoping this is the season when Williamson steps up and dominates first class attacks. Would love for Watling and How score runs aswell.
I think Flynn is a contender but I wouldn't be surprised if someone better comes through.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Have mulled it over and not keen on Vettori batting at 6 in tests. He's just taken on being a selector and now wants to jump into the responsibility of batting 6 as well?? Madness. ODIs are a different matter and think it's a decent move to bat 6 in those.

IMO at present we have three players for whom their ideal batting position is 7: McCullum, Franklin and Vettori. Have real doubts about all of them at 6, but also all are better than your average number 8. So does having 3 number 7s equal a traditional 6,7,8?

Probably not... number 6 usually needs to be a cut above the number 7 batsman.

Also need to consider that 9,10,11 will be some combination of Martin, O'Brien, Bond, Tuffey - ie. there is not a lot of batting after we're 7 down. If McCullum is at 8 that's time for him to slog.

But next question is whether anyone else in that spot will perform better with the bat than Franklin. After his performances in the CT Elliott does probably deserve another chance but a lot of people seem to have forgotten how poor he looked in his early test appearances.

I like both Elliott and Franklin and am sure both will get chances - first one to grab it wins.
Would go:
6: Elliott/ Franklin
7: Vettori
8: McCullum

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
Have mulled it over and not keen on Vettori batting at 6 in tests. He's just taken on being a selector and now wants to jump into the responsibility of batting 6 as well?? Madness. ODIs are a different matter and think it's a decent move to bat 6 in those.

IMO at present we have three players for whom their ideal batting position is 7: McCullum, Franklin and Vettori. Have real doubts about all of them at 6, but also all are better than your average number 8. So does having 3 number 7s equal a traditional 6,7,8?

Probably not... number 6 usually needs to be a cut above the number 7 batsman.

Also need to consider that 9,10,11 will be some combination of Martin, O'Brien, Bond, Tuffey - ie. there is not a lot of batting after we're 7 down. If McCullum is at 8 that's time for him to slog.

But next question is whether anyone else in that spot will perform better with the bat than Franklin. After his performances in the CT Elliott does probably deserve another chance but a lot of people seem to have forgotten how poor he looked in his early test appearances.

I like both Elliott and Franklin and am sure both will get chances - first one to grab it wins.
Would go:
6: Elliott/ Franklin
7: Vettori
8: McCullum
well said, and I agree with most of it apart from the fact that I believe number 8 is too low for McCullum to bat. If he plays a good knock then he wont have enough time to bat with the tail that was outlined. Thinking about it now, I dont want Vettori at six in test matches but wouldnt mind it in ODI's. As you said, Elliott does deserve another go.

6. Elliott/ Franklin
7. McCullum
8. Vettori

Athlai

Not Terrible
The pressure of batting at 6 is pretty close to that of number 8 considering how weak our batting is.

Days of Grace

International Captain
If Vettori bats at no.6, then, yes, it gives us the opportunity to play four frontline bowlers plus Vettori.

But, one of those four bowlers has to know how to bat. Of those four bowlers, I am thinking Tuffey, Bond, Patel, O'Brien, and possibly Martin are not up to batting at no.8.

That leaves the selectors being forced to pick either Franklin or Mills, even though they are probably not in the top four bowlers in the country.

I don't see how Franklin will ever take regular test wickets again if he isn't given the new ball and isn't going to bowl above 135km/h. But I might take him over Mills since his batting is better and Mills has the same problem with his test bowling as Franklin.

McIntosh (wouldn't have him in there, but I don't see the selectors dropping before the next series)
Guptill
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
Vettori
McCullum (wk)
Franklin
Tuffey/O'Brien
Bond
Martin

I don't see how we could play Patel since that would mean Franklin being the first-change seamer and Franklin and Martin bowling a lot of the overs for the seamers as Bond will only bowl about 12-15 overs a day maximum.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why are we trying to get Patel in the team? We aren't shipping off to India or Sri Lanka anytime soon.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
well said, and I agree with most of it apart from the fact that I believe number 8 is too low for McCullum to bat. If he plays a good knock then he wont have enough time to bat with the tail that was outlined. Thinking about it now, I dont want Vettori at six in test matches but wouldnt mind it in ODI's. As you said, Elliott does deserve another go.

6. Elliott/ Franklin
7. McCullum
8. Vettori
It's true... however the same problem applies no matter which of the three bats at 8. I put McCullum at 8 because to me he's the least likely to score runs at present.

Really those three could bat in any order - I don't have strong opinions on it. (obv if Elliott plays then he is at 6 though)

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see how Franklin will ever take regular test wickets again if he isn't given the new ball and isn't going to bowl above 135km/h. But I might take him over Mills since his batting is better and Mills has the same problem with his test bowling as Franklin.
awta - they seem like the only candidates and both have weaknesses.

Am hoping that next time he plays tests Franklin can and does put in the effort to bowl around 135km/h. Give him only a few short spells per day if fitness is a problem. He did still seem to have it in him during the West Indies and India series to bowl the odd good spell at decent pace.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Why are we trying to get Patel in the team? We aren't shipping off to India or Sri Lanka anytime soon.
Have you gone off Jeets a bit Athlai? :p

Also, when do we play the return series against India? Is that next year?

Edit: not til Nov/Dec next year. After conclusion of home summer there is a mid year tour to Zimbabwe scheduled. Greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...... How many times is this issue going to come up??

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Have you gone off Jeets a bit Athlai? :p

Also, when do we play the return series against India? Is that next year?

Edit: not til Nov/Dec next year. After conclusion of home summer there is a mid year tour to Zimbabwe scheduled. Greeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...... How many times is this issue going to come up??
Jeets is my favourite player, I love his enthusiasm but he isn't our best bowler.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Jeets is my favourite player, I love his enthusiasm but he isn't our best bowler.
Can't fault his enthusiasm. One thing that might help his bowling improve would be if the BCs stopped carting him all over the world as 12th man.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't fault his enthusiasm. One thing that might help his bowling improve would be if the BCs stopped carting him all over the world as 12th man.
Though he does get to constantly train his bowling with the likes of Vettori, Mushy and Murali. His batting has improved a lot lately, his bowling though has remained the same. The much whispered doosra remains locked away.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good lad, good to see you being true to yourself. Like you, I also like Patel's attitude, but have maintained for a long time now he's below International standard.

Flem274*

123/5
Though he does get to constantly train his bowling with the likes of Vettori, Mushy and Murali. His batting has improved a lot lately, his bowling though has remained the same. The much whispered doosra remains locked away.
Who are you and what have you done with Athlai?

Flem274*

123/5
Haha, ya reckon one of his mates might have locked him in the cellar then proceeded to have a field-day?
You talking about CW or the other activities Athlai and his experimental friends like to indulge in (each other)? :p

EDIT: Wait, Athlai's a staff member? Since when was that? FILTHY TRAITOR!!! You think that cellar is bad now? You just wait until I get my hands on you baby

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
You talking about CW or the other activities Athlai and his experimental friends like to indulge in (each other)? :p

EDIT: Wait, Athlai's a staff member? Since when was that? FILTHY TRAITOR!!! You think that cellar is bad now? You just wait until I get my hands on you baby
All a false sense of security so I can trap and murder all of you tbh.