• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saffers in English cricket

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Roebuck is a ****tard of note, who I wouldn't let my dog near, and I don't even have a dog.. If it wasn't so sick, I sometimes wish he would go back to beating children so I don't have to read his crap all the time..

So Bopara comes from an immigrant community.. Well so does basically the entire South Africa team bar Duminy, Prince and Gibbs (hey, thousands of years ago the Khoi-San communities might have spawned one of their descendants).. Oh and as for his Australia, well who would play for them? Jason Gillespie?

Unfortunatly my parents know Peter Roebuck on a personal level.. If I ever found out my dad bought him a drink, I'd fly over to England and slash his tyres.. Roebuck is a hideous person, a waste of air, time and carbon..

Was that too much?
That would be Gibbs with the Jewish first name? And Duminy with the French Huguenot name? :p

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Roebuck seems to have a problem with White Southern Africans. I think the beatings he gave out to those boys was a by-product of his anger towards apartheid and White supremacy in Southern African - i.e. the boys were paying for the sins of their forefathers. As Roebuck in 1985 did stand with Brearley, Peter Woods and John Arlott in calling for the destruction of apartheid and argued that his fellow professionals who toured South Africa were only helping to cement the 'evil system'. That or he just likes knocking kids around...

Also, don't think Peter is an 'Aussie', he wouldn't get citizenship due to his criminal past. Spends a lot of time in Durban and writes for The Witness...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Also, don't think Peter is an 'Aussie', he wouldn't get citizenship due to his criminal past.
How times have changed. Time was you couldn't become an Aussie without one. :ph34r:

Old, old jokes aside, he was already an Oz citizen before his conviction.

Bravo

Banned
I loffed my arse off when i saw that KP was selected to all time XI of English (sic) cricketers. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Undoubtedly Flinty had more effect on English runs than overrated KP.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
:blink:

Were you born in NI and lived there your whole life and where were your parents born? If you were born in NI then to me that would suggest you are Northern Irish, or even Irish if you will (please forgive me there).
Well yeah I've lived in Northern Ireland all my life but it's all a load of political/historical dump over here that I stay as far away from as possible. I have a British and an Irish passport although I only have a British one as my dad thinks I'll be mugged/raped if caught with an Irish one. I don't know, I suppose I'm Irish rather than Northern Irish as I don't like countries being split in half. That being said, everything is alright in my life here at the moment so I don't really care much about a united Ireland. I'm confusing myself. I go to Republic of Ireland football matches a fair bit but would feel uncomfortable going to a Northern Ireland game as there's a lot of sectarianism still in parts. Neil Lennon, a Celtic player, had to stop playing for Northern Ireland as he got death threats when he was about to captain the side for a first time. I just stay away from all the political crap and hatred which is in this country. I'm going off on one now, I don't think I even have a point. Meh. I'll finish by saying that I think a national team should be represented by those who feel like they are actually nationals of the country which is up to the player themselves to decide if they're eligible I suppose.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Meh. I'll finish by saying that I think a national team should be represented by those who feel like they are actually nationals of the country which is up to the player themselves to decide if they're eligible I suppose.
This, I think, is how I see it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone who plays for England should be white with the Christian name Julian and a hyphenated surname, and also sound like Prince Charles.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Roebuck seems to have a problem with White Southern Africans. I think the beatings he gave out to those boys was a by-product of his anger towards apartheid and White supremacy in Southern African - i.e. the boys were paying for the sins of their forefathers. As Roebuck in 1985 did stand with Brearley, Peter Woods and John Arlott in calling for the destruction of apartheid and argued that his fellow professionals who toured South Africa were only helping to cement the 'evil system'. That or he just likes knocking kids around...

Also, don't think Peter is an 'Aussie', he wouldn't get citizenship due to his criminal past. Spends a lot of time in Durban and writes for The Witness...
I thought the kids he beat were black Zimbabweans.. Do you know what school they were from? It was a big deal and went on in a house a couple of streets down from where I used to live..

I also assumed Roebuck had some White SA in him, that not the case?

I'm loving the Cricinfo comments below that article.. i guess there is a 5% chance of him reading them

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nah, the three teenagers were South Africans...

"I'm going to cane you now. Then it will be over and I will forgive you and, if I don't cane you, I will feel differently about you."

Don't think Peter has any South African in him. Just links through the anti-apartheid movement, living in Pietermaritzburg and working for The Witness.
God, well I imagine I've met them..

I've always found the anti-apartheid brigade to be some of the most delusional, strange people around.. I mean obviously a huge swathe of white South Africa was rightly against what happened, but I'm yet to meet someone who was vocal about it and hasn't been a totally pretentious and hideously awkward waste of space to be with..

Dad told me about how he was at University with people who trashed the Barclays banks because of their links with here and how they graduated as woman-beaters or people with huge gambling addictions and broken families..

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
God, well I imagine I've met them..

I've always found the anti-apartheid brigade to be some of the most delusional, strange people around.. I mean obviously a huge swathe of white South Africa was rightly against what happened, but I'm yet to meet someone who was vocal about it and hasn't been a totally pretentious and hideously awkward waste of space to be with..
Eh? Granted I can't comment on your particular acquaintances, but that just seems a really odd comment. Surely to be anti-apartheid is normal in civilised society?

As for the vast swathe of people being against it, I dunno. I wasn't there, obviously, but if they were against it they didn't seem to do a vast amount about it. Unless someone can point me in the direcdtion of some info to the contrary, I'll continue to assume that most of white SA knew which side their bread was buttered and weren't too concerned about the morality of the situation.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Langeveldt has a rather peculiar take on South African history...
I was eluding to the people who were most vocal against apartheid, seem to still have a serious chip on their shoulders about pretty much everything, even though the tables have turned nowadays.. As for my personal experiences, I'd say yes still most would have been against what was going on, but as it benifited everyone so hugely, were probably too comfortable to bother about it.. Most of the people who flatly were pro-apartheid are now living in Perth, Wimbledon or elsewhere in SA where I don't seem to run into them.. But evidently I wouldn't know as I only did politics and journalism here for half the undergraduate degree..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I was eluding to the people who were most vocal against apartheid, seem to still have a serious chip on their shoulders about pretty much everything, even though the tables have turned nowadays.. As for my personal experiences, I'd say yes still most would have been against what was going on, but as it benifited everyone so hugely, were probably too comfortable to bother about it.. Most of the people who flatly were pro-apartheid are now living in Perth, Wimbledon or elsewhere in SA where I don't seem to run into them.. But evidently I wouldn't know as I only did politics and journalism here for half the undergraduate degree..
And waving the old Transvaal flag like they did at the weekend during the Aus Bok game?

I do agree with you that a significant proportion of the anti-apartheid movement are middle class people who choose to have no daily contact with black people but they are not all bad or hypocrites.

Problem is so many of the movement now don't dare criticise the current South African government as they believe that despite all the **** that goes on in the Republic, it is still better than white supremacy. Which is of course true but it makes the ANC untouchable and able to get away with 'murder'. They still feel indebted to them.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I always used to wonder why people in SA didn't do more, seemed quite odd to me. Then when I was in SA I was at dinner in Jo'burg with some (white) people I'd met, and the conversation turned to 'how many times were you tear-gassed at university?' in relation to demonstrations that had gone on whilst they were there. It was a lot of an eye-opener to me, being at university in the UK myself at the time and having been on a number of demonstrations about the (a lot less important) tuition fees saga, and a really interesting insight from them about what their experiences of showing their opinions were.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting article by Rob Steen on cricinfo touches on the same stuff discussed here.

Moots an all Saffer born and/or raised XI:

Andrew Strauss (capt), Stephen Moore, Kevin Pietersen, Jonathan Trott, Wayne Madsen, Matt Prior, Dawid Malan, Craig Kieswetter (wk), Faf du Plessis, Gareth Berg and Charl Willoughby.

Pretty sure du Plessis & Willoughby are Kolpaks and not sure about Madsen's status, but a sign of the times he can even attempt the exercise.

Sadly Steen rather blots his copybook by trotting out that tired old trope that "NZ steal all the best pacific island rugby players".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Several of that lot are serious options, though obviously Strauss and Prior are quite unlike any of the others, all of whom made the deliberate decision as adults to move to England for cricket purposes, rather than those two who came over as children with families.

Pietersen and Trott have already played for England; Kieswetter should one day; there's, I suppose, an outside chance Moore might but I don't think it's that likely; Malan is OK but hardly the sort who strikes as international material; amazed that Neil Dexter (who is far more South African than Strauss) has been omitted, as he's a quality player; du Plessis, Willoughby and (UIMM) Madsen are none ambitious to play for England (Willoughby's too old now anyway); and heaven help us if Gareth Berg were ever to do so.