• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2009/10

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree 100%...Virus is also 29 and not really interational class. That is why its Elgar, Khan, Rossouw and Vandiar who should be fighting it out. I'm not a fan of Khan because he has played 6 FC seasons and last season was his first successful one and have seen him bat.

Parnell will play the ODI's and shouldn't be in the test squad initially. To me it would be McLaren or Morne for number 8 and Tsotsobe 13th man. Lopsy has a good action and should be fine.

I still think Ntini will get bags of wickets in the test series though. He loves nothing more than bowling on our pitches.
Ntini has been carried for the past eighteen months, was the weak link against Australia at home and the home series prior to that against New Zealand and the West Indies. Should have been dropped for the 3rd test at Cape Town but I now can't see him being 'retired' on 99 tests. Ntini himself has said that he doesn't think he will go much longer.

In regard to Khan, I just don't like the way he bats. Kinda of guy if form departs has nothing to fall back on. South Africa should get at least twelve months out of Prince and given South Africa tour India early next year, that is best position for Ashwell. Elgar impressed during the Pro20, just needs some four day form behind him.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Moshele is over-hyped. In the game the other day he was awful behind the stumps and when he batted looked like a real clown to be perfectly honest.

I agree Malan must replace Snijman and open with Rudolph but Kuhn must keep the gloves and bat 6.
Interesting you would say that about Moshele. Read some really encouraging things about him; Ray Jennings really rates the kid, he won U19 cricketer of the year and impressed against England U19's.

SeamUp

International Coach
I saw he did well against England u19's but it does show the step up to play with the big boys.

In actual fact the school boy keeper, Joshua Richards, got more praise for his glove work by the commentators.

Moshele smells of another Tsolekile to me.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ntini has been carried for the past eighteen months, was the weak link against Australia at home and the home series prior to that against New Zealand and the West Indies. Should have been dropped for the 3rd test at Cape Town but I now can't see him being 'retired' on 99 tests. Ntini himself has said that he doesn't think he will go much longer.

In regard to Khan, I just don't like the way he bats. Kinda of guy if form departs has nothing to fall back on. South Africa should get at least twelve months out of Prince and given South Africa tour India early next year, that is best position for Ashwell. Elgar impressed during the Pro20, just needs some four day form behind him.
I still feel Ntini will produce in the up-and-coming series. He needed a bit of a break because the guy has rarely got injured in his long career so it was a long time in travelling last season.Possibly he should call it after this series.

Ashwell Prince will play for a quite a few years at the top. He is light footed just like Hersch so they can play on.

With regards to Khan you have hit the nail on the head.

I've watched a lot of Elgar's cricket and to me could do a similar job to a Gary Kirsten (but at the same time different looking players). He looks class when he is in and uses his feet to the spinners. I just think he needs to overcome the early nerves in his innings and he will be away.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I saw he did well against England u19's but it does show the step up to play with the big boys.

In actual fact the school boy keeper, Joshua Richards, got more praise for his glove work by the commentators.

Moshele smells of another Tsolekile to me.
Thami is back in franchise cricket with the Lions. Will probably start the season as well taking the gloves from Dane Vilas (will play as a batsman) now that Craig Alexander is injured. Lions like the Titans traditionally struggle to get four black cricketers on the field and usually none from their franchised areas (Greater Jo'burg...) but with Craig being injured there is only Virus and Vandiar who pick themselves.

Moshele is a bit of an anomaly along with Mbhalati as he is one of the very few black cricketers at the Titans who come from the 'area'. Most of the time both franchise raid from the Cape to get their black numbers.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Cobras side for tomorrow...

Andrew Puttick (capt), Alistair Gray, Stiaan van Zyl, Henry Davids, Justin Ontong, Richard Levi, Ryan Canning, Vernon Philander, Rory Kleinveldt, Francios Plaatjies, Monde Zondeki, Sybrand Engelbrecht

Ontong lost the captaincy to Puttick but I think Kempie will take the reigns when he returns as Andrew doesn't always play in the limited overs stuff.

Good to see Plaatjies included. Probably the quickest bowler in South Africa just has a terrible habit of breaking down after one game. Him and Cackdeki together is probably a recipe for disaster. Question will be who is going to break down first...

SeamUp

International Coach
With Claude in England and Robbie P with the Proteas, Engelbrecht is the spinner there and probably won't play. A one-day spinner really and one of the best fielders in the world. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make the T20 squad as fielding all-rounder for Champions League.
But getting back to the spinner for Cobras...it puzzles me still how they allowed Con De Lange to go to the Eagles. They then wouldn't have needed average Robin Peterson.

Just watch Levi will score runs and they will still drop him for Kemp instead of Henry Davids. The could also drop Gray and open Davids. Its mind-boggling how poor the Cobras management is. Used to be the best for many a year when under the old Western Province.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Day 1 SuperSport, Bloemfontein
Cobras 310/5 (Puttick 118, Gray 60, Con de Lange 2/58), Eagles

Puttick continuing his form of starting the new season with a bang. He had about five centuries by early November last year (courtesy of a great series against the touring Sri Lanka A) and then hit a brick wall for the last five months of the season.

South Africa take on the West Indies tomorrow in a warm-up. Here is the side.

Graeme Smith, Herschelle Gibbs, Jacques Kallis, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Mark Boucher, Albie Morkel, Roelof van der Merwe, Johan Botha, Wayne Parnell, Dale Steyn.

Might be a List A game if South Africa is only going in with 11 men...

Woodster

International Captain
Day 1 SuperSport, Bloemfontein
Cobras 310/5 (Puttick 118, Gray 60, Con de Lange 2/58), Eagles

Puttick continuing his form of starting the new season with a bang. He had about five centuries by early November last year (courtesy of a great series against the touring Sri Lanka A) and then hit a brick wall for the last five months of the season.
Eagles pulled it back a touch really, Cobras were 149-0,so lost 5 wickets for 161 runs. As you say, Puttick starts off in excellent nick again.

SeamUp

International Coach
Seems like the old Bloemfontein road of a pitch could be back. Or it may be just an early season slow wicket because of over-watering.

But Richard Levi hit his first century for the Cobras and hopefully his SA u19 captain of 2006, Dean Elgar can also hit an early season hundred.

The pitch may be flat but you still have to go out there and score the runs and if Dean scores buckets of runs he could get a place on next years test tours. At 22 he will gain experience just like Duminy did initially.

Just a word for Putters, the ultimate pro, who looks like he had a brilliant and fluent knock and hopefully his form can continue.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA beat a poor Windies side in a warm-up in Potch.

Almost eveyone except De Villiers (16) got runs. Gibbs (38 rh), Smith 83, Kallis 86, Duminy (80* off 49 balls) and Bouch (55 off 27 balls)

Vd Merwe was the pick of the bowlers with 4-34. Steyn may be a bit rusty with 6 1-29 and Albie was expensive again but always seems to get a wicket or 2.

Also the Warriors beat the Kiwis by 2 wickets.

Rusty Theron shining for the Warriors with 5-42.

Champs league news

Stiaan Van Zyl and Andrew Puttick miss out for Cobras squad with Derick Brand and Engelbrecht chosen instead. Otherwise the other 13 were expected.

Eagles surprisingly have left out De Lange, Pienaar and Pietersen. Vd Wath missing due to his inelegibility.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Dean Elgar revived his great form against the Cape Cobras with a century in the Diamond Eagles’ SuperSport-series match against the Western Cape-based side at the OUTsurance Oval in Bloemfontein. The opening batsman scored 112 runs before being trapped leg before wicket by Justin Ontong (1/57).

The Diamond Eagles openening batsmen struck 17 fours in his innings of 218 balls. He and Divan van Wyk (46) shared a 115-run partnership over the first wicket. Van Wyk was the first to lose his wicket when he was caught behind the wickets by Ryan Canning from the bowling of Vernon Philander (1/42).

Elgar had an average of 122 against the Cape Town-based side in his first two seasons of franchise cricket. He failed to score against the Cape Cobras last season scoring only ten runs in his four innings against them. It was his third century against the Cobras after being left unbeaten against them in his debut at 97.

Youngster Reeza Hendricks (74) also shared a big partnership with Elgar. They scored 104 runs over the second wicket. Hendricks’ stumps were rearranged by Monde Zondeki (1/48). Rilee Rossouw (65*) and Ryan Bailey (13*) will continue the home side’s innings at 346/3 tomorrow. Rossouw was dropped at first slip by Andrew Puttick with his score on 40 off the bowling of Kleinveldt with the sixth delivery of the new ball.

Francois Plaatjies was stopped halfway through his 11th over by umpire Gerrie Pienaar after he has been warned twice before for running on the pitch. Plaatjies conceded 80 runs without taking a wicket. He bowled an astonishing 24 no balls so maybe Pienaar did the Cape Cobras a favour for taking him from their bowling attack. He also conceded 2 wides. He bowled enough extra balls through his no balls to have bowled four extra overs.

While Plaatjies was expensive from the Willows-end Philander dried up the runs in the morning session from the Loch Logan-end of the ground. He bowled five consecutive maidens as Plaatjies bowled his 19 no balls for the day from the other end.

SeamUp

International Coach
I know the squads have been posted by TT but there are so many names that won't play and aren't really worth mentioning. So I am going to go through what I think will be the starting XI's at the beginning of the season when everyone is available and quality reserves.

First up Cobras...

NASHUA COBRAS

1. Alistair Gray
2. Andrew Puttick (vc)
3. Henry Davids
4. Richard Levi
5. Justin Ontong
6. Justin Kemp (c)
7. Ryan Canning (w-k)
8. Vernon Philander
9. Robin Peterson
10. Monde Zondeki
11. Charl Langeveldt

Reserves

Stiaan Van Zyl
Claude Henderson
Rory Kleinveldt
Francois Plaatjies

Reg Int's

Graeme Smith
Herschelle Gibbs
JP Duminy

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
CHEVROLET WARRIORS

1. Jon-Jon Smuts
2. Ashwell Prince
3. Colin Ingram
4. Arno Jacobs (vc)
5. Justin Kreusch
6. Davy Jacobs (w-k) (c)
7. Lyall Meyer
8. Daryll Brown
9. Rusty THeron
10. Andrew Birch
11. Garnett Kruger

Reserves

Nicky Boje (List A only)
Sinethemba Mjekula

Reg Int's

Jacques Kallis
Mark Boucher (w-k)
Johan Botha
Wayne Parnell
Makhaya Ntini
Lonwabo Tsotsobe

brockley

International Captain
Herad justin kemp has turned his back on his kolpak status must want to play for s africa again,can he.Read it on cricinfo.

SeamUp

International Coach
NASHUA DOLPHINS

1. Imraan Khan (c)
2. Cameron Delport
3. David Miller
4. Ahmed Amla
5. HD Ackerman
6. Jon Kent
7. Daryn Smit (w-k) (vc)
8. Alfie Thomas
9. Johann Louw
10. Quinton Friend
11. Yusuf Abdulla

Reserves

Loots Bosman (mainly List A)
Kyle Abbott
Pierre De Bruyn
Saidi Mlongo

Reg Int's

Hashim Amla

SeamUp

International Coach
GESTETNER DIAMOND EAGLES phew....

1. Reeza Hendricks
2. Dean Elgar
3. Rilee Rossouw
4. Boeta Dippenaar (c)
5. Ryan Bailey
6. Morne Van Wyk (w-k) (vc)
7. Ryan McLaren
8. Johann van der Wath
9. Dillon Du Preez
10. Thandi Tshabalala
11. Victor Mpitsang

Reserves

Divan Van Wyk
Con De Lange
Obus Pienaar
Shadley van Schalkwyk
CJ De Villiers
Charl Pietersen

SeamUp

International Coach
I don't think Justin Kemp will get close to our ODI side because Albie is in there now and younger. Plus Kempy doesn't bowl the rquired overs we need anymore mate.

SeamUp

International Coach
BIZHUB HIGHVELD LIONS phew...

1. Stephen Cook
2. Alviro Petersen (vc)
3. Neil McKenzie (c)
4. Zander De Bruyn
5. Vaughn Van Jaarsveld
6. Jonathan Vandiar
7. Dane Vilas (w-k)
8. Friedel De Wet
9. Andre Nel