• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2009/10

SeamUp

International Coach
Rilee Rossouw has just got aother ton...that's (4) 100's in 11FC matches for the Eagles and he hasn't touched 20 yet.

We have Gibbs, Kallis and Prince only on the batting front who are putting on in years but with Elgar, Rssouw and Vandiar coming through, the cycle continues. Absolutely top class.

Cannot wait for the Champs League tbh and with Rossouw and Elgar playing, it should be testing facing Brett Lee and the NSW gang.

SeamUp

International Coach
While Rilee Rossouw was compiling his hundred on Sunday he went past 1000FC runs and became the 11th youngest South African to do it. Extremely promising that is.

For those interested, the youngest player is Kepler Wessels at 18 years and 256 days or something like that.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Still don't understand why they put so much faith in Blake Snijman when they have Pieter Malan there. Is Rudolph injured?

The Eagles bowling is struggling it seems when they couldn't bowl out a poor Cobras side and it looks like they're not going to do it against the Lions. Good on Virus though. Another century for him.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Still don't understand why they put so much faith in Blake Snijman when they have Pieter Malan there. Is Rudolph injured?

The Eagles bowling is struggling it seems when they couldn't bowl out a poor Cobras side and it looks like they're not going to do it against the Lions. Good on Virus though. Another century for him.

Rudolph is still playing for Yorkshire. But I hope they realise Malan is the better of the 2 compared with Snijman when Rudolph arrives back.

Heino Kuhn had a good innings and surely must have nailed down the successor to Boucher role. In fact Kuhn to me is better than Kieswetter because Kuhn averages more in our tougher domestic cricket and harder batting conditions. Where as Kieswetter bats on a batting paradise at Taunton.

I think the Eagles are missing McLaren in their bowling line-up and DuPreez isn't delivering the goods like he has been recently. Don't see a spot for CJ De Villiers tbh when vd Wath returns as well.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Well done to the Eagles especially Elgar.

I believe Morne should be a definite start for the England tests. He's worked hard over the last couple months and I can see him making a fine comeback if he can raise his game at international level.

Heino Kuhn had a good innings and surely must have nailed down the successor to Boucher role.
My solution would be Heino in tests and AB in ODIs/Twenty20s. Keeping had little effect on his batting on the shorter version of the game.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Seems like another batting talent is making a name for himself in Durban...Dave Miller

3 brilliant knocks in the MTN40 with 33 (14) and then 55* (40) and then 70* (44) and he seems to like a 6 and only 20 years old. Seen him play a few times and is a big lad thats for sure.

They say he is a fielder in the Jonty mould as well seeing that he went to Maritzburg College like Jonty, he obviously looks up to him.

Of course old Kevin Pietersen went to Maritzburg Coll as well.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Gino Vries.

Anyone know who this guy is? He came out of nowhere and took 6 against the Titans and he's now working his way through the Eagles with impressive numbers.

And why happened to Obus Pienaar. Is he injured?

SeamUp

International Coach
After watching a fai bit of domestic cricket this season both live and on tele I think there is a lot of talent coming through the ranks especially in the batting. On what I've seen and my knowledge I have chosen my SA 'A' team. I've decided to include Rudolph because in a different world wuld have played more for SA and is going to make him self available soon as well.

1. Andrew Puttick (29) (vc) COBRAS
2. Dean Elgar (22) EAGLES
3. Jacques Rudolph (28) (c) TITANS
4. Rilee Rossouw (20) EAGLES
5. Jonathan Vandiar (19) LIONS
6. Stiaan Van Zyl (22) COBRAS
7. Heino Kuhn (25) (+) TITANS
8. Daryn Smit (25) DOLPHINS
9. Rusty Theron (24) WARRIORS
10. Craig Alexander (22) LIONS
11. Lopsy Tsotsobe (25) WARRIORS

Tsotsobe and Alexander sharing the new pill. The one is a tall accurate left-arm swing bowler and the other is a short right-arm quick who skids it through at 150k's and is unpredictable. Theron as the perfect 1st change bowler with his awkward action and seam movement but always running in from the 1st ball to last and always tries something different be it a yorker, short-ball or using the crease. Smit as a leggie because with 4 front line bowlers you need an attacking spinner and he can rip it.

Then you have some very good part timers in Rudolph/ Vandiar who both bowl leg-spin, Elgar with his slow left-armers and Van Zyl with his dincum medium-pacers ala Hansie.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
After watching a fai bit of domestic cricket this season both live and on tele I think there is a lot of talent coming through the ranks especially in the batting. On what I've seen and my knowledge I have chosen my SA 'A' team. I've decided to include Rudolph because in a different world wuld have played more for SA and is going to make him self available soon as well.

Tsotsobe and Alexander sharing the new pill. The one is a tall accurate left-arm swing bowler and the other is a short right-arm quick who skids it through at 150k's and is unpredictable. Theron as the perfect 1st change bowler with his awkward action and seam movement but always running in from the 1st ball to last and always tries something different be it a yorker, short-ball or using the crease. Smit as a leggie because with 4 front line bowlers you need an attacking spinner and he can rip it.

Then you have some very good part timers in Rudolph/ Vandiar who both bowl leg-spin, Elgar with his slow left-armers and Van Zyl with his dincum medium-pacers ala Hansie.
Interesting. Have been hearing some nice things about this Theron bloke, but isn't his actual sort of suspect?

Where is Yusuf Abdulla is the fast-bowling ranks?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Theron broke on to the scene about 3 to 4 seasons ago in the one-day comp where he broke Eric Simons' record in taking 33 wickets in the season. Theron has a very ugly action is how our would describe it 'Aussie' but not illegal. Not sure why he was tested tbh. He has a short run up and falls away alot and by now surely should have had a serious back injury but hasn't. Also with his action you would think he would be inconsistent but he as anything but that. What I love is that he will run in all day for his skipper and bowls bouncers, in-swinging yorkers and so on. He bowls at about 138-142 k's and bowls a heavy ball.

I'm not a fan of Abdulla who is carp and over weight. He has had relative success in the one-day arena and is only considered a one-day bowler. I don't think the selectors really have him in their minds tbh. Maybe only T20.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Theron broke on to the scene about 3 to 4 seasons ago in the one-day comp where he broke Eric Simons' record in taking 33 wickets in the season. Theron has a very ugly action is how our would describe it 'Aussie' but not illegal. Not sure why he was tested tbh. He has a short run up and falls away alot and by now surely should have had a serious back injury but hasn't. Also with his action you would think he would be inconsistent but he as anything but that. What I love is that he will run in all day for his skipper and bowls bouncers, in-swinging yorkers and so on. He bowls at about 138-142 k's and bowls a heavy ball.

I'm not a fan of Abdulla who is carp and over weight. He has had relative success in the one-day arena and is only considered a one-day bowler. I don't think the selectors really have him in their minds tbh. Maybe only T20.
Word. Well i didn't mean to say Theron action was suspect, i was rather asking because i had read this article so i was wondering whats up with him.

BTW Whats going on with Du Preez these days?. Seeing him so many times in county cricket over here, its always been disappointing that he went kolpak & couldn't play for SA.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Rusty = The Paul Adams of fast bowlers. Seriously strange action and what is surprising with Rusty is that despite that, he is an excellent death bowler. Must have some sort of psychic ability because there is no way he knows what the batsman is doing.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah I wasn't saying you said it mate. I knew he had to have his action tested.

On Du Preez...He really came out of nowhere and started to produce and was consistent but since he came back from Leicestershire he really has been off the boil. He has been in-and-out of the Eagles line-up this season.

I feel there are too many bowlers who have a hot run for a couple of seasons and then fade and I can't put my finger on the problem other than they aren't good enough I guess. I'm sure the same thing happens over in England. Tremlett's, Plunkett's, Ali's, Mahmoods and so on.

I was just wondering how often the England 'A' side hosts tours because all they seem to do these days is go to Asia in the off-season.

I think it would be a real good test if for instance that side I mentioned above went to play England 'A' in England. I think its been over 10 years since our 'A' side has been there.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rusty = The Paul Adams of fast bowlers. Seriously strange action and what is surprising with Rusty is that despite that, he is an excellent death bowler. Must have some sort of psychic ability because there is no way he knows what the batsman is doing.

He bowls that reverse swinging yorker at will that crushes the batsmans toes. I don't know how he does it!

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Gino Vries.

Anyone know who this guy is? He came out of nowhere and took 6 against the Titans and he's now working his way through the Eagles with impressive numbers.

And why happened to Obus Pienaar. Is he injured?
Have no idea. Burst on the scene last season, dominated England U19's with both bat and a ball, played for the Eagles, did well and hasn't been seen since in franchise cricket.

This was the last game Pienaar featured in, way back in early October.

Free State v North West at Bloemfontein, Oct 1-3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

SeamUp

International Coach
I must say that Pienaar story is weird but very similar to Matthew Arnold as well.

Pienaar is currently playing club cricket for Bloemfontein Uni 'Kovsies' and I guess studies is more important to him.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

SeamUp said:
He bowls that reverse swinging yorker at will that crushes the batsmans toes. I don't know how he does it!
Damn, why haven't SA taken him to India then especially with De Wet injured?. Hopefully he is on tour to West Indies.

SeamUp said:
On Du Preez...He really came out of nowhere and started to produce and was consistent but since he came back from Leicestershire he really has been off the boil. He has been in-and-out of the Eagles line-up this season.

I feel there are too many bowlers who have a hot run for a couple of seasons and then fade and I can't put my finger on the problem other than they aren't good enough I guess. I'm sure the same thing happens over in England. Tremlett's, Plunkett's, Ali's, Mahmoods and so on.

I was just wondering how often the England 'A' side hosts tours because all they seem to do these days is go to Asia in the off-season.

I think it would be a real good test if for instance that side I mentioned above went to play England 'A' in England. I think its been over 10 years since our 'A' side has been there.

Well for ENG bowlers except Tremlett the rest of them are utter trash & should never play for ENG again. Although i'll admit MAYBE Plunkett could have a future.

On the "A" tours yea i cant remember ENG hosting one in a while. I think the Sri Lankan A team where here in 2004, but since then yea i dont recall any other A team touring. But if the South Africa A where to play a ENG "A" which ATM could be IMO:

Mark Carberry
Joe Denly
Robert Key
Ed Joyce
Eoin Morgan
James Taylor
Steven Davies
Liam Plunkett
Steve Kirby
Boyd Rankin
Chris Tremlett

I'm probably cheating a bit by including Rankin, since i am still hopeful England can make him play for ENG & the fact that Tremlett has bee out injured for a while. But i included then since other young fast- bowlers like Steve Finn & Naqaash Tahir i'm personally am not convinced about.

Reckon South Africa "A" would win still haa..

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Have no idea. Burst on the scene last season, dominated England U19's with both bat and a ball, played for the Eagles, did well and hasn't been seen since in franchise cricket.

This was the last game Pienaar featured in, way back in early October.

Free State v North West at Bloemfontein, Oct 1-3, 2009 | Cricket Scorecard | Cricinfo.com
I'm sure he wasn't dropped because of that Michelle in the 4th innings. He looks a massive prospect with the second highest amount of u-19 wickets (behind Parnell) and he looks devastating with the bat. Something SA needs to weedle out the McLarens of the team.

Damn, why haven't SA taken him to India then especially with De Wet injured?. Hopefully he is on tour to West Indies.
My only thinking is the action looks bad that he won't it against the best batsmen of the world. I'm not sure that's rational though.

His stats say it all. Average of 20 in all formats of the game. That's almost unheard of now that SA is sporting more flat tracks for domestic cricket.

I like that team but would play Ahmed Amla instead of Puttick or Van Zyl.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
questions
1 will rudolph play for south africa or england.
2 will the s africans play their domestic season(20/20) or ipl,or has it not been decided yet.