• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Five Cricketers Of The Decade 2000-2009

subshakerz

International Coach
Best pacer - McGrath, unfortunately there's no contest here.

Best spinner - Murali, but Warne's massive achievements can't be ignored either.

Best batsman - Ponting is the only genuine all-time great batsman to have emerged this decade, even if he made his debut in the 90s.

Best all-rounder - Kallis, one of the top batsmen of the decade, and thats before you take the 200 odd wickets he's picked up into account.

I didn't just select by category, these five are heads and shoulders ahead of the rest. Sadly but unsurprisingly nobody who debuted this decade.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've got seven I can't really split:

Kallis
Ponting
Gilchrist
Pollock
McGrath
Warne
Murali

I'd name five of them now but my answer would be different had I done it yesterday or if I did it tomorrow, so it's probably more accurate to just name the seven. The only one I'd definitely have regardless would be Kallis.

subshakerz

International Coach
Pollock and Kallis in my mind are two of the most underrated greats in cricket history. How many cricketers do you know with records comparable to Hadlee and Sobers be written off or not even mentioned when commentators start talking about worldclass players?

I think South Africans for some reason dont get their due from most of cricket punditry, mostly due to their image as being boring or their failures against Australia. Donald is described as weak under pressure, Kallis is called selfish, Pollock is a second-rate McGrath, while Steyn's name hardly comes up much. Is it just me, or do they get a bit of an unfair collective reputation?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't think it's possible to argue much with Kallis, Murali, Ponting, Gilchrist, McGrath.

Shri

Mr. Glass
From players who debuted after 2000:

Kevin Pietersen / AB de Villiers - Batsman
Andrew Symonds / Shane Watson / Dwayne Bravo - All-Rounder
Mahendra Singh Dhoni - WK
Ajantha Mendis - Spin Bowler
Dale Steyn - Pace Bowler

IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few fairly-but-not-absolutely rigid criteria would be:

No-one who debuted after 2001;
No-one whose careers were over before 2008;
No-one who had a lengthy down spell at any time;
Only people who are outstanding Test cricketers, rather than merely decent ones, or outstanding ODI and merely decent Test cricketers.

For example - there's no doubt the performances of Andrew Flintoff between 2003/04 and 2006/07 were outstanding, but far too short-lived to be up there when the entire decade is under consideration, in addition to the fact he only became worthy of selection in 2001/02 and spent lengthy spells out injured, including a whole 18 consecutive months. For another example - Mahendra Dhoni has been undoubtedly the best ODI wicketkeeper-batsman ever from 2005 to 2009-so-far, but didn't play before that and is nothing more than a decent Test player. No way would I consider Tendulkar who was frankly pretty poor, never mind mediocre, from 2002/03 to 2005/06.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty easy this one:

Gilchrist
McGrath
Warne
Ponting
Kallis/Murali

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Which is why you still picked 6?
Well, I meant that in terms of where to look. Australia has been clearly the dominant side so it's mostly their players. I think Murali was better than Kallis but you can't deny an all-rounder of Kallis' level so I made a concession.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I see people just writing off Warne, simply saying he was he best in the 90s, kinda glossing over how amazing he was in this decade. The irony is, he was even better in the 00s than he was in the 90s. And that's after all the surgeries,drama, etc. His away record is freakish for a spinner.

Dissector

International Debutant
I would have to agree with Kallis,Murali,McGrath, Ponting and Gilchrist. Kallis was probably the top cricketer of the decade and Murali was the top bowler. Pollock and Warne miss out.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar
That's a tricky one. He had an incosistent phase because of the tennis elbow which was uncharacteristic of Tendulkar and the inconsistency, lack of form lead to much criticism as all the spot light was on Tendulkar.

Yet, if we look at the averages, Tendulkar has done his bit despite being poor for a couple of years (and that too only in test cricket - he was superb in ODIs all decade). I won't grudge any one having Tendulkar in the list.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That's a tricky one. He had an incosistent phase because of the tennis elbow which was uncharacteristic of Tendulkar and the inconsistency, lack of form lead to much criticism as all the spot light was on Tendulkar.

Yet, if we look at the averages, Tendulkar has done his bit despite being poor for a couple of years. I won't grudge any one having Tendulkar in the list.
Mostly because he was feasting on minnows though - without them he averages 47 (since jan 1 2000). Lara should be in it ahead of him and near Lara there is Dravid. Also there's Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Yousuf, Inzamam and even Sehwag. And that's not counting Australian batsmen like Ponting and Hayden.

Nope, Tendulkar really shouldn't be on this list.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mostly because he was feasting on minnows though - without them he averages 47 (since jan 1 2000). Lara should be in it ahead of him and near Lara there is Dravid. Also there's Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Yousuf, Inzamam and even Sehwag. And that's not counting Australian batsmen like Ponting and Hayden.

Nope, Tendulkar really shouldn't be on this list.
Tendulkar had 2 bad seasons - 2004-05 and 2006-07. A lot more is made out of it that is required to be very honest. There was the inconsistent 2003-04 but he still averages 51 there. Hell Lara has had several inconsistent spells. Just because it was Tendulkar, people made a furore about it.

If you look at sheer stats the guys like Md. Yousuf deserve more than the credit he has got. Tendulkar has played crucial innings for his team whether it be ODIs or tests and has a case for being among the top 5 players of the 2000s just like any other good player this decade. I am not saying he essentially should be in that top 5. That's why I replied to Hakon's post with an interesting quote.

Last edited: