cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why are we getting an Ashes in 2016?

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,192

    Why are we getting an Ashes in 2016?

    Surely it should be 2010/11 Aus, 2013 Eng, 2014/15 Aus, 2017 Eng?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  2. #2
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    I remember at the end of the last Ashes I read talks of switching the Ashes cycle to stop the away Ashes clashing with the WC. So maybe they have decided to bring it forwards a year from 2016 onwards. That's all I can think of.

    If that's the way it's gonna go it means the home Ashes will clash with the Euros which isn't great, but I suppose it's more important not to have such a big series clash with the CWC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can


    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Jamee999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Leicestershire, UK
    Posts
    15,094
    Don't worry lads, there'll be big screens outside the ground showing the Scotland vs Romania final, there's no need to worry.
    Or something.

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

  4. #4
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    Thinking about it, Euros would normally finish first week in July, so there wouldn't actually often be a clash per se.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I remember at the end of the last Ashes I read talks of switching the Ashes cycle to stop the away Ashes clashing with the WC. So maybe they have decided to bring it forwards a year from 2016 onwards. That's all I can think of.

    If that's the way it's gonna go it means the home Ashes will clash with the Euros which isn't great, but I suppose it's more important not to have such a big series clash with the CWC.
    It's Ashes series' in Australia that need to be moved in order to un-synchronise it with World Cups, which I agreed when the idea was first mooted is a very good one, for both sides. That appears not to be happening any time soon.

    And I said it in the other thread - seems to baffle all logic to move UK-based Ashes out of the odd-numbered year they've occupied very happily since 1977. Although World\Euro football Championships wouldn't clash with the current schedule, many people involved with the English game still hope Ashes series' will eventually move back to their traditional mid-June-to-mid-August schedule.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  6. #6
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's Ashes series' in Australia that need to be moved in order to un-synchronise it with World Cups, which I agreed when the idea was first mooted is a very good one, for both sides. That appears not to be happening any time soon.

    And I said it in the other thread - seems to baffle all logic to move UK-based Ashes out of the odd-numbered year they've occupied very happily since 1977. Although World\Euro football Championships wouldn't clash with the current schedule, many people involved with the English game still hope Ashes series' will eventually move back to their traditional mid-June-to-mid-August schedule.
    Yes indeed, but maybe they want to keep things at the current time lag, so they are bringing both forwards a year, if that makes sense?

    Actually, you know what. I'm gonna email the ECB and ask them.

    edit - email sent, hopefully I'll get a reply in the morning. will probably be nonchalant and say "oooh I don't know" but it's worth a try.

    Also. I don't ever see the Ashes starting in mid-June again, ftr
    Last edited by GIMH; 30-07-2009 at 04:21 PM.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Possibly the quickest solution. We wait with baited breath for working hours to commence tomorrow.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    9,014
    2016 will finally put it back on historical track that was thrown out of sequence when it was moved from 1976 to 1977 because of the unscheduled short series in 1975.

  9. #9
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    Should have one every summer tbh

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    What about the one that was thrown out of sequence by the Second World War, meaning there wasn't an Ashes between 1938 and 1948?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It's Ashes series' in Australia that need to be moved in order to un-synchronise it with World Cups, which I agreed when the idea was first mooted is a very good one, for both sides. That appears not to be happening any time soon.
    I imagine we'll go to Australia in 2017/18 then, with the WC in 2018/19. When I'll be 33. Forward planning FTW.

  12. #12
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    Will have to keep an eye on the Aussies' home schedule. Planning on going the 2014/15 Ashes, don't want my savings to have to move forwards a year

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I imagine we'll go to Australia in 2017/18 then, with the WC in 2018/19. When I'll be 33. Forward planning FTW.
    Don't remind me of these things.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    9,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What about the one that was thrown out of sequence by the Second World War, meaning there wasn't an Ashes between 1938 and 1948?
    The War was a rather more worthy reason for change than throwing in four unscheduled Tests to fleece the public just because Australia were in the Country for the World Cup.

  15. #15
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    2011 and 2015 champ - find me in the Platinum Lounge -
    Posts
    59,188
    No reply from the lazy bastards at the ECB tbh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Women's Ashes (+ One Day Series)
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 03:14 PM
  2. Why My Country Will Win The Ashes
    By GIMH in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15-07-2009, 01:22 PM
  3. Oldest Test Team?
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •