• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ contracted players for 09/10

trapol

U19 12th Man
No he's stopped trying, bowling half pace, refusing to dive and basically blaming everyone else for why he's not in the team

again.................

Polo23

International Debutant
Could have broken his leg breakdancing since then for all you know.

Alternatively, could have been screwing around with one of the selector's wives...
"We decided that Grant Elliott can be cover for Jacob Oram because we feel the slow-medium pacers under Sri Lankan conditions for change bowlers are likely to be just as effective," said Turner.

The selectors had considered picking Franklin for the 'A' tour to India in August, but the chance to continue playing first-class cricket for Gloucestershire was deemed just as valuable.

"The reason why we haven't got James in the 'A' team is that he's playing for Gloucestershire and he might as well stay and play there as go on an 'A' tour," said Turner.

GLOUCESTERSHIRE will be able to call upon the services James Franklin for the rest of the season after the all-rounder was left out of the New Zealand squad to tour Sri Lanka.
That sounds unlikely.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pleased to see that Nethula got a go for New Zealand A. From what I saw of him in the State Champs final last season he can turn it a fair amount and has a beautiful googly. Having said that I won't be at all surprised if he gets murdered by Sri Lanka's legions of spin savvy batsmen.

As for Jimmy being left out of both squads, especially given how much swing was evident in this week's test at Galle...:wacko:

I've had a feeling for a while now that the selector's seem very confused about what they want in the New Zealand team and the latest squad doesn't ease my concerns. Obviously we'll get flattened in the tests, and I don't think we'll put up too much of a fight in the limited overs matches either. I have a sinking feeling that this could be one of our worst beatings since we toured Pakistan back in the early 90's. I'm still hacked off that there are only two tests scheduled though...

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
"Playing Twenty20 in the ICL has given my body a chance to heal over the last few years especially with shoulder injuries," he said. "I think I'm bowling a tad sharper than when I was a couple of years ago, especially the latter half of last summer I thought the ball was coming out really good and ... it was swinging as well."

Tuffey wiser and fitter for international comeback | Cricket News | Sri Lanka v New Zealand 2009 | Cricinfo.com
Does anyone else think that sounds like the Tuffey of old, before all the injuries when he was actually good?

I hope he gets a game, i'm looking forward to see what pace he's bowling and how he goes.

Flem274*

123/5
That is the most ****ed up squad selection I've ever seen. McCullum, please dont die or we'll have McIntosh and Young in the same team.

Right, it looks like the selectors have gone down the trapol route and made being picked a lottery but here's my team I'd pick for the first test anyway:

Cumming (**** off Mcintosh)
Guptill (he was in the test squad right?)
Flynn (he was too...right?)
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Patel
O'Brien
Martin/Tuffey

Flem274*

123/5
Pleased to see that Nethula got a go for New Zealand A. From what I saw of him in the State Champs final last season he can turn it a fair amount and has a beautiful googly. Having said that I won't be at all surprised if he gets murdered by Sri Lanka's legions of spin savvy batsmen.

As for Jimmy being left out of both squads, especially given how much swing was evident in this week's test at Galle...:wacko:

I've had a feeling for a while now that the selector's seem very confused about what they want in the New Zealand team and the latest squad doesn't ease my concerns. Obviously we'll get flattened in the tests, and I don't think we'll put up too much of a fight in the limited overs matches either. I have a sinking feeling that this could be one of our worst beatings since we toured Pakistan back in the early 90's. I'm still hacked off that there are only two tests scheduled though...
When was the last time you were confident for a series? Tour of Zimbabwe perhaps? :p

I think this is going to hurt, but I don't think it will be on par with the series in SA (probably close to it though). The SL bowling attack is scary, but our bowling vs their batting is a much closer contest.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I see Murali didn't play first test against Pakistan - what's the story with him? Will he play against us. Though if he is I'm sure Mendis and whoever SL have to replace him will do a more than adequate job of running through our middle and lower order - they certainly did the job on Pakistan.

Really makes you appreciate how ****ing amazing Fleming was against Murali in SL a few years ago. Now why can't Oram use his height like that?

Polo23

International Debutant
Theres one warmup game before the tests start. If Cumming performs in that warmup game and McIntosh fails, do you think they will pick Cumming to partner Guptill in the first test?

Also if Oram sweeps everything against the spinners I think he may be ok. It's when he tries to play with a straight bat, especially against Murali who he can't pick AT ALL that he struggles.

Craig

World Traveller
I would stick with McIntosh for the time being. I think we need to give our openers (no matter how good or bad they are) a chance to perform rather then chopping and changing every five minutes. I'm struggling to think of the last time New Zealand had a solid opening partnership that didn't last one or two Test series. I don't really rate Cumming either as a Test cricketer.

That is what I would do, but I'm not paid to select teams so my arse isn't on the line if it fails (I work on the basis that if you pick them, then you should back them).

Craig

World Traveller
That is the most ****ed up squad selection I've ever seen. McCullum, please dont die or we'll have McIntosh and Young in the same team.

Right, it looks like the selectors have gone down the trapol route and made being picked a lottery but here's my team I'd pick for the first test anyway:

Cumming (**** off Mcintosh)
Guptill (he was in the test squad right?)
Flynn (he was too...right?)
Taylor
Ryder
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Patel
O'Brien
Martin/Tuffey
If you wanted the tail to bat, then I would go Tuffey over Martin anyday. Would be interesting when Bond comes back.

I guess a bowling line-up of:

Vettori
O'Brien
Bond
Martin/Tuffey

Not too bad.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you wanted the tail to bat, then I would go Tuffey over Martin anyday. Would be interesting when Bond comes back.

I guess a bowling line-up of:

Vettori
O'Brien
Bond
Martin/Tuffey

Not too bad.
Bond would come in ahead of O'Brien everytime, he has a first class 100 to his name

Flem274*

123/5
He can bowl (well tbh keep him away from ODIs), but I doubt he'd be much of a man for international cricket. Competitive, and on his day can and will own, but long term I can't see him being much more than a fringe support bowler.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw Jake Oram today, was tempted to thank him for choosing to sign his NZ contract. But I didn't.

I don't know what he was doing at Glenfield Mall. It's a pretty insignificant little suburban mall - not high on the list of tourist attractions in Auckland. I know a lot of sportspeople choose to have a place in Auckland for convenience, but Glenfield? Really? There's nothing convenient about Glenfield.