• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke's captaincy

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's sort of my point. If everyone keeps saying "future captain" before he's even played test cricket, its likely to happen unless he's an absolute failure.

Clarke had youth, enough talent, and media attention on his side to almost guarantee himself being vice captain.
True but it follows the long-standing trend that the Aussie team pick the best batsman (or close to) as captain before picking the best captain. Clarke's been mentioned as such, I think, more because of that than being a great tactician. Was mentioned before he even played for the senior team, despite no great pedigree as U/19 captain (captained a WC campaign but that was it).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Liking him to be captain one day, and calling them a future captain of Australia, are two different things to be fair.

cowboy up

Banned
Liking him to be captain one day, and calling them a future captain of Australia, are two different things to be fair.
ive never said he definatly will be the future captain i just think he has every chance possible if he remains a good batsman.already in this thread has the fact been discussed that australia almost certinly pick there best batsman to be captain(or close to the best) and another thing phil hughes has on his side is his age,he has time to grow and mature as a crickiter because clarke will be captain for some time and by the time clarke goes he would be a good age for captain.
there is a long road to go yet anything can happen with injuries,being out of form and other factors but he has every chance over the next 5 years for him to cement his spot and get the green light,similar to what happend to clarke.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not saying you did mate, you're misunderstanding me. But people are saying he is a future captain. Based on what, being a young batsman with talent? If he was a bowler he would not have been even mentioned in that same light.

And you say what happened to Clarke can happen to Phil Hughes as if its a good thing. Clarke, by being put as future captain at all costs, is costing Australia T20 matches every time he walks out to bat.

cowboy up

Banned
Not saying you did mate, you're misunderstanding me. But people are saying he is a future captain. Based on what, being a young batsman with talent? If he was a bowler he would not have been even mentioned in that same light.

And you say what happened to Clarke can happen to Phil Hughes as if its a good thing. Clarke, by being put as future captain at all costs, is costing Australia T20 matches every time he walks out to bat.
every thing you say is true,take mitchell know one has said a word about him one day being able to do that.im making my assessment of what they done clarke.i also agree he is not performing in the t20 as captain

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Looking at a kid like Hughes and mentioning the word captain in the same sentence?

We've haven't even seen him play a proper game of cricket! How would we know whether or not he possesses leadership qualities/characteristics? That is such a long way off. Talk about over-hype.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Or Hughes could join the army in the event of WW3 and die and therefore never be a captain. Seriously.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Looking at a kid like Hughes and mentioning the word captain in the same sentence?

We've haven't even seen him play a proper game of cricket! How would we know whether or not he possesses leadership qualities/characteristics? That is such a long way off. Talk about over-hype.
In a proper game of cricket? He played 3 Test against South Africa in South Africa

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

I believe the phrase for this post is EPIC FAIL!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unbelieveable this - the kid's made one of the more auspicious starts to a career, against arguably the best side in the world on their home patch, but he hasn't played a "proper" match.
Sadly one of the worst calls I've seen on here in ages.