• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds: Gawn?

howardj

International Coach
"The other thing is he might just be sick [of cricket]," Healy told radio station 2KY. "He's just cooked and tired of cricket and sort of wants to be dropped.

"I'm not sure whether Symo wants to play cricket or be bound by contracts or be bound by the Cricket Australia structure. I sense that he might be seeking the freedom that IPL and maybe a county stint might offer him."

Corresponds to howardj's theory as well. Bit of a douchebag thing to do if that was his intention.
Exactly.

All these people who say CA mishandled things; Ponting/Clarke mishandled things; and these people (Buchanan and Hayden etc) who say they want to help Symonds - they all overlook one important fact.

That is, he does not want to be there. Thus, the first chance he gets (on the first day of the Darwin camp; and now in the first week of the England tour) he flagrantly breaches team rules, knowing what the consequences will be.

He doesn't want to be there, and his stepping out of line (at the very first opportunity that's available) is deliberate.

My take on it is that he's not sad that he's now back in Brisbane. Rather, he's happy - he's now free from the CA shackles and yet will still rake in the T20 millions by playing only a couple of months a year.

There's nothing wrong with him wanting that ahead of a Baggygreen, it's just that he should have been upfront about it before they left for England, rather than again putting the team through the disruption and **** storm of the last few days by deliberately getting himself sent home.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i'll bet symonds was the only one who has had several warnings though. Honestly don't know why you defend him. He's 34 (!?), responsible for his own actions, and has let the team down several times before.

Exactly how hard is it to conform to team rules when they earn you hundreds of thousands (if not millions) or dollars a year.

Symonds let himself down, he was with his teammates not his babysitters. I love watching symonds play, but there's noone to blame here except himself.
awta

social

I'll bet Symonds was the only one who has had several warnings though. Honestly don't know why you defend him. He's 34 (!?), responsible for his own actions, and has let the team down several times before.

Exactly how hard is it to conform to team rules when they earn you hundreds of thousands (if not millions) or dollars a year.

Symonds let himself down, he was with his teammates not his babysitters. I love watching Symonds play, but there's noone to blame here except himself.
Sorry mate but I’ve never defended Symonds’ actions

What I have said is that:
a.The punishment for the Darwin “crime” was completely inappropriate and destined for failure (subsequent events have unfortunately proven this to be 100% correct); and

b.There are others in and around the team who should be sharing the blame for this debacle.

These include:

1.Team management – the fact that they’ve been unable to control one of the world’s best cricketers and that, in all likelihood, he’ll never play for Oz again is sufficient evidence to conclude that their man management is abysmal and that they should be sacked. No ifs, buts or maybes, they’ve failed and must go.

2.The “Leadership Group” – with a title comes responsibility not just a name tag. For similar reasons to above, members need to be changed and/or educated.

3.CA – an absolute disgrace.

First, they sacked him.

Then, to absolve themselves of all blame, they portrayed him as an out-of-control, alcoholic psycho.

Following a couple of defeats, all was forgiven with Symonds miraculously cured in a heartbeat

Finally, to avoid future embarrassment, they put him on a non-public drinking contract (that’s right, he could get ****-faced every night of the week in his room but couldn’t touch a shandy in public – some duty of care!)

Anyway, I don’t expect anything to be done (other than Symonds being flogged in public of course) as there are too many snouts in the CA trough to risk rocking the boat

However, I pity the next “individual” that comes through and also the paying public as we’re now guaranteed a conveyor belt of cardboard cut-outs for the foreseeable future (witness the selection of White in front of the supposedly “difficult” but infinitely superior Hodge as Symonds replacement)

howardj

International Coach
What you've said is that he shouldn't be kicked off the team.

A team, and a structure, that he clearly does not want to be on.

He does not want to be there mate.

Simple as that.

pasag

RTDAS
Agree with Social for the most part, that said once Symonds agreed to never drink outside the hotel room as part of his contract, there becomes no justification for what he did.

social

Oz are going to lose and are about to depart the world t/20

It's all Symonds fault boo friggin hoo

Take some responsibility for your actions, you pea hearts!

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Apparently Symonds couldn't cope any more because the new players in their team wanted to "do a recovery session and then play on their Xbox" instead of "having a beer and a chat."

Lol. That's so ridiculous. I know not everyone likes Xbox, but even I could cope with a couple of weeks playing on it if everyone else was.

Maher said Symonds had battled to adjust to more professional demands.

"At the end of a day's play, Andrew wants to catch up with the boys over a beer and talk about the day like we used to," he said.

"Now when he mentions having a beer some of the new generation look at him like he's from another planet.

"They want to run off to their rooms to have recovery and play XBox."

howardj

International Coach
Oz are going to lose and are about to depart the world t/20

It's all Symonds fault boo friggin hoo

Take some responsibility for your actions, you pea hearts!
Yeah, if only they had a 34 year old drunk who doesn't want to be there...we would have romped home to victory.

It's pretty bizarre wanting him there when he doesn't even want to be there.

pup11

International Coach
As much as Symonds is responsible for this predicament of his, there is no shying away from the fact that CA are equally responsible for bringing this whole episode to this point.

There are blokes in every team that are tough to handle, and its completely upto to think-tank to decide, as to how lenient they want to be with a bloke like that, since the 2005 Cardiff drinking incident, which indeed was a disgraceful act on Symonds' part, he has always been like an open book, his attitude towards the game and life has been there for all to see, and if CA weren't comfortable with what they saw, they should have torn his contract way back in 05 itself.

CA have always been found wanting, when it comes to dealing with their players when they need support, the way they have handled the cases of Slater, Warne and Tait (in recent times) just goes to show their inability in this regard furthermore.

The stipulation in Symonds' contract that he shouldn't drink in public was ridiculous imo, and Symonds shouldn't have signed a contract like this in the first place, because CA can't possibly act like a nanny to a 33 year old bloke, if they don't trust a player to this extent, then I don't see the reason why they should have picked him at all.