• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Class is Permanent, Form is... an Illusion?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
On a related note, I strongly believe that there is an inherent tendency in every human mind to find pattern in everything. By 'inherent' I mean it doesn't come from conditioning or circumstances or upbringing or education; it is a quality that is always part of the human brain somehow. This quality is mainly good - e.g. many of the scientific discoveries (think Newton's Laws for example) perhaps wouldn't be possible if we didn't have a pattern-finding bent of mind. But as a side effect, we look for patterns even when there isn't one. We should be aware of this shortcoming and should train our minds accordingly imo.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
All of Stokes' innings after his double hundred are good examples of how we perceive form in our mind only.

Now our thought is 'He is just carrying on from his double century form, playing wonderful strokes all around, and SA is just lucky that he's getting out just in time before really denting bowlers' confidence.'

Imagine if the double century hadn't taken place. Our thought would be 'Oh this is Ben Stokes. He's a talented batsman but he's dumb and is wasting his talent. He's looking fluent for the short time he's in the crease but is throwing away his wicket - like he always does. His batting is the most disappointing thing for an England fan.'

I find this to be a very good argument for the 'form is an illusion' concept.