• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bouncers in the old days

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Call it '79/80 if you want, though obviously that was during one of the brief periods Richards was fulfilling the second-best-after-Bradman mantra that some have festooned him with. So it'd hardly be fair, because whatever you bowled at him at that point it'd have disappeared.

Let's say had West Indies rather than England been touring in 1986/87, if you prefer.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Phil Edmonds used to bowl bouncers when he was getting bored although I can't remember any specific recipient off hand

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I remember a World Series Cricket game in 1994 against Australia 'A' that Shane Warne bowled a bouncer and it went whistling past the batsman and keeper to the boundary. It was always a sign of his frustration, invariably he would be pulled from the attack. Can't imagine it did his shoulder much good either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think he might have sent a few down over on one of the tours of India that he got spanked in.
Presumably would've been the 2000/01 one - I'm sure it was a "new" weapon the C&U Series that summer.

And I can't believe I don't remember him bouncing Pietersen in 2005. :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Remember it now I watch it. And it's harmless for sure, but it's still an interesting and worth-a-try change-up.