View Poll Results: Should England pick Geraint Jones as w/k?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes chuck him in

1 7.69%
  • He should go on the winter tour if Stewie doesn't

2 15.38%
  • No he is too old, we need a younger player

4 30.77%
  • No he doesn't yet have the experience required

6 46.15%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geraint Jones

Geraint Jones

OK Rich's sig got me thinking. Geraint Jones has had a phenomonal start to his career (which before this year was prety much non-existent) - is he the man to replace Alec Stewart behind the stumps for England (in test matches anyway)?

He's not young, but then Stewie himself was 27 on debut.

I suppose the key difference is Stewie had bags of experience whereas Jones has just one season to his name. Ideally he needs to perform for another year or two to warrant consideration, but I'd consider taking a gamble and chucking him in this winter.

I haven't seen him in action behind the stumps but on the assumption he's sound (obviously the selectors would check this out) I say give him a go. If he doesn't show signs of being a success then we could turn to Read or Foster or Wallace or next year, and see if he continues to stake a claim in which case he could get another go.

I think it's worth remembering Wallace in particular, but also Foster and Read are both young and waiting another six months to debut them won't hurt (we carried Foster on a whole winter tour of India and NZ when he clearly wasnt ready and lets face it - what was the point?).

Anyway, let me know what you think. Have I gone mad??
    My house is burned down but I can see the sky.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    What has Read done wrong?!

On a more salient point - is Jones England-qualified yet?

The other thing to consider is how he makes the runs, not necessarily how many runs he makes...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    I agree. The mistake that alot of selectors make is that, like the fans, they are too stat obsessed. They have to actually watch the players to make an proper judegement. Case in point - Fidel Edwards....
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Rik
    Originally posted by marc71178
    What has Read done wrong?!

On a more salient point - is Jones England-qualified yet?

The other thing to consider is how he makes the runs, not necessarily how many runs he makes...
    I wouldn't pick him yet but the fact that he's scored a lot of runs when Kent have needed him to points to a player with something about him. Also from what I've heard his keeping is at least the equal of the man he replaced, Paul Nixon, who's a fine keeper.
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

I must say I hadn't heard much about his keeping, but if it is that good then he may stand a chance if Read wastes his.

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by marc71178
    The guy scores quickly, but not Flintoff quick

His S/R for his 600 odd runs @ 59.10 for this season have come at a S/R of around 72-75. 18 catches and 2 stumpings

And his overall S/R for 801 runs @ 57.91 have come at about 69-70. and 26 catches and 2 stumpings

And Yes Bazza his keeping is sound, he's happy to stand up to the stumps etc and taken a hatfull of catches so far 20ish in CC so far I think and in his first NCL match of the season he equaled a Kent record of 6 catches behind the stumps in a game.

Yes and whilst keepers rely to an extent on bowlers to create chances performances like that don't come along too often!

Marc, Read hasn't done much wrong and I'd suggest he be the other keeper to go on tour. After pushing for years that he be the successor to Stewart I don't mind him getting a chance to make the job his, but I would say so far this summer in the ODIs his batting hasn't impressed me too much, even though his keeping has been good.

As for Fidel Edwards - I thought he hadn't played enough games to be ready for test cricket? A case of stats over judgment no?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    The mistake that alot of selectors make is that, like the fans, they are too stat obsessed. They have to actually watch the players to make an proper judegement. Case in point - Fidel Edwards....
    My point is that if he they had just looked at stats (or rather the absence of them), he wouldn't have been anywhere near the team. However, the selectors and Lara actually saw him bowling and realized his talent and potential.

Pinball Champion!
    Im sure he isnt qualified yet....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Bazza
    would say so far this summer in the ODIs his batting hasn't impressed me too much, even though his keeping has been good.
    Did you miss the match-winning (with Tresco) 25* at Lord's? He's also the best keeper in the country (behind Russell, obviously)

As for Fidel Edwards - I thought he hadn't played enough games to be ready for test cricket? A case of stats over judgment no?
    The guy had FC figures of 1/66. His stats were crap. So how can that be ahead of judgement..?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Originally posted by Bazza
    Marc, Read hasn't done much wrong and I'd suggest he be the other keeper to go on tour. After pushing for years that he be the successor to Stewart I don't mind him getting a chance to make the job his, but I would say so far this summer in the ODIs his batting hasn't impressed me too much, even though his keeping has been good.
    What about the lord's decider vs Pakistan?

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Im sure he isnt qualified yet....
    I e-mailed the club who responded with "Geraint is England qualified by virtue of his parentage".

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Did you miss the match-winning (with Tresco) 25* at Lord's? He's also the best keeper in the country (behind Russell, obviously)

No, and he did alright today so I'll let him off!

The guy had FC figures of 1/66. His stats were crap. So how can that be ahead of judgement..?
    What I meant was everyone was saying when he was selected that he didn't have enough experience, and the WI selectors should be put in an asylum. Then he grabs five wickets first up.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    I e-mailed the club who responded with "Geraint is England qualified by virtue of his parentage".

Ahhhh, yes by all means get him in England colours then

Isn't that just a tad of an overreaction, not to mention exceedingly unfair on Chris Read?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information