• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The New Zealand Test Team-The Way Forward

Blain

U19 Captain
How rubbish were our bowling options back then. Probably the bowling academy back in the early 2000's to blame. Destroyed young pace bowlers for a generation.

Our batting is the thing that worries me ATM.. Guys like Young and Bruce need more time.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Young is 24 and has been a regular in domestic cricket for 3 years. If he's not ready by now it's hard to see what more time will do for him.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I've softened a lot on the Guptill at five thing. It's not that he deserves such a chance by any stretch and it's still far from my first preference; that would be a young talent who is performing at domestic level. However say Young, Popli and Nicholls were all going badly, Neesham and Anderson were injured and we were struggling to fill both 5 and 6 in the test batting order, (or as SteveNZ says, against the aliens tomorrow to save the planet and with no eye to the future) then I think Guptill would be ahead of people like Brownlie, Broom, Murdoch etc, though probably behind Munro.

By contrast he should never ever get another chance to open in tests.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, mostly though I'd just like Young/Popli/whoever to score enough domestic runs to demand selection.

(not forgetting that Popli's technique looks like Guptill#2 anyway :ph34r:)

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
My team for the next test:

Jeet Raval

George Worker
Anaru Kitchen
Kane Williamson
Harry Boam
Derek De Boerder
Jimmy Neesham
Tarun Nethula
Nick Beard
Mitchell McClenaghan
Neil Wagner

/kneejerk
What a call by smudge

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Fleming is past it now

Vettori is too nice to be an effective captain - need a bit more of aggro under the black cap

How about an interim stand-in captain like a Lee Germon

Not sure how Lee Germon was a stand-in captain - though his presence did keep the better keeper Parore out

Maybe worth exploring if there is a Lee Germon like lurking somewhere in domestic cricket
Was this slippy's first account?

CM Punk

State Vice-Captain
Guptill should bat at 5, I would also like to see Neesham given a proper run at 6.

Latham
Raval
KW
Taylor
Guptill
Neesham
Watling
Santner
Southee
Wagner
Boult