• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Middle order for Post WW2 Dream XI

Choose nos 3,4 and 5 of the Post WW2 XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bagapath

International Captain
With Hutton and Gavaskar leading the openers poll who will follow them at nos. 3,4 and 5 in the Post WW 2 XI?

Choose three of the following champion bats to be the middle order of the best composite XI of the past 65 years.

Brain Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
RG Pollock
GS Chappell
GS Sobers

Slifer

International Captain
went for IVAR, Chappell and Sobers. Ideally I would have Sobers at 6 but im too afraid that some of the more diplomatic posters may omit him

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Why should Sobers not be voted for just because he is likely to " win the number 6 poll in a canter ". That makes a mockery of the poll. He is a nominee here and should be voted for if he is good enough to bat at that position. He is good enough to bat at any position for an all time world XI except perhaps as opener and for number three and that last only because of the Don.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
cant split the six at all. all of them were awesome cricketers. aggressive attacking world beaters. may be i'll go for richards, pollock and lara. that way, with sobers coming in at 6, my top order will have three left handers and three right handers (including gavaskar and hutton). there is no other way i am able to choose three out of these six.

archie mac

International Coach
Why should Sobers not be voted for just because he is likely to " win the number 6 poll in a canter ". That makes a mockery of the poll. He is a nominee here and should be voted for if he is good enough to bat at that position. He is good enough to bat at any position for an all time world XI except perhaps as opener and for number three and that last only because of the Don.
I see your point mate, but we are selecting a whole team, and it is smart selecting to leave Sobers for six, if you want three of these fellows in as well:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I see your point mate, but we are selecting a whole team, and it is smart selecting to leave Sobers for six, if you want three of these fellows in as well:)
In that case he should not be in this list and we could have a separate one for number six or for an all rounder.

By the way, not many people are aware of why Sobers batted lower in the order for West Indies. Sobers himself never wrote about it or talked of it till his last book, an autobiography published in 2000 I think. He mentions that when Worrell became the skipper in 1960-61, he had a talk with Sobers about batting at number 5 or six - frankly for somewhat non-cricketing reasons. Worrell had noticed (in any event it was well known in the cricketing world) that there was a problem between Sobers and Rohan Kanhai and it could be seen even on the ground when they were batting together.. He felt that this was detrimental since they were the two batting stars in the West Indian middle order. Sobers mentions that this was true and it was because Kanhai was very jealous of Sobers's success.

Worrell suggested to Sobers that he bat at number 5 or six with kanhai batting at number three, so that by the time Sobers came into bat, Kanhai had, on most occasions, already made a substantial contribution to the teams cause even if he was still in when Sobers came in at number six. Worrell stated that since Sobers was such a versatile player, he was better suited for the job as he could go for a quick aggressive knock if the team was in a very solid position at the fall of the sixth wicket, and also had the defense and the technique to build the innings with the lower order in case the team was in strife. Kanhai meanwhile, would have been involved in three partnerships for the 2nd, 3rd and the 4th wickets.

Sobers is kind to Kanhai by not trying to belittle him by saying that Kanhai also felt his batting being given greater importance by his batting three places above his left handed team mate.

Sobers agreed and continued batting at that number all his career long after Worrell had gone from the scene and he himself had become the skipper..

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Went with Richards, Tendulkar and Sobers because I'd also like to get both Miller and Imran in the side.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sobers is highly unlikely to win the number 6 poll, so voted for him here. The misconceptions in some quarters about his bowling makes Imran or Miller most likely to win that poll.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think Sobers is highly unlikely to win the number 6 poll, so voted for him here. The misconceptions in some quarters about his bowling makes Imran or Miller most likely to win that poll.
Thats probably true although I voted for him because of the six batsmen in this list, IMHO he was the best.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Thats probably true although I voted for him because of the six batsmen in this list, IMHO he was the best.

I would have him at 6 behind Richards, Tendulkar and Lara but if he's not voted in on this poll it could end up with the farcical situation of him not getting in at all.

bagapath

International Captain
the no.6 poll and the last bowling option are going to be basically an indirect battle between imran, lara, murali and lillee. one of them wont make it to this team for sure.

bagapath

International Captain
looks like richards, tendulkar and sobers will make it to the team. if they do, lara will be carried over to the last poll.