• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current NZL batting potential

Flem274*

123/5
Who domestically was doing better than Cumming and Papps opening?
Vincent (as a middle order batsman)
Hha woops, I'll concede Papps and Cumming were er "merit" selections based on their generally solid seasons.

Not quite sure on that post of yours though, how can Vincent be opening better than Papps and Cumming if he's in the middle order?

My point is talent selections are more likely to go horribly wrong and weaken the side (which they have at times) than merit picks. Sinclair and virtually all openers we pick (Its debateable whther Bell, Papps and co. are merit picks with FC records in the thirties imo, there's just no one better) are the only merit failures we have.

A lot of our talent selections haven't been that great, and if we do find a rare talent early selection can hurt them badly (Ken Rutherford), Martin Crowe once said he felt he and Chris Cairns came into the side too early, and they suffered mentally as a result (I might try find where he said that).

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of them in 80% of the time, merit picks like Mills, O'Brien, Ryder and Taylor (ODIs especially) are imo, more likely to have more success than Daniel Flynn (though he passed my expectations and shut me up vs the WI, hoepfuly he will continue to do so), Lou Vincent, Ian Butler of 2004, both Marshalls etc.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Vincent opening I think was more to do that on that tour, the middle order was fairly settled and there was no room to slot him in, and Bell was dropped for the third Test and that was the only real spot Vincent could be slotted in to, as he was the first choice reserve bat if I remember correctly.

Flem274*

123/5
Vincent was more succesful than the others we've picked by some distance, don't think it did him any good though. 4 or 5 suites him, but as you said the problem is our middle order was full.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The skeleton for the side is there. Hopefully they keep McCullum no higher than 6. If Oram was fit, you could play him at 6 and McCullum at 7. This gives you the four pacers and a spinner, or three quicks and a spinner if required. If Oram is injured, then maybe Elliott is a straight swap.

The question being, and I haven't had a look for a while, would the NZ fans here still select Oram in the Test team again on form?

Days of Grace

International Captain
The question being, and I haven't had a look for a while, would the NZ fans here still select Oram in the Test team again on form?

He has to get back to first-class cricket and ton-up a couple of times.

We have enough bowling in the side, that he can be the 4th seamer.  Therefore, he has to be a 75/25 batting allrounder from now on.

If Jesse can bowl at 135km/h in the Eden Park ODI, then he can surely bowl some overs as well? He might just be a very handy bowler for us in tests. Perhaps in the mold of Wally Hammond?

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry, but I'm not a fan of them in 80% of the time, merit picks like Mills, O'Brien, Ryder and Taylor (ODIs especially) are imo, more likely to have more success than Daniel Flynn (though he passed my expectations and shut me up vs the WI, hoepfuly he will continue to do so), Lou Vincent, Ian Butler of 2004, both Marshalls etc.
Also, players may have poor overall records but may be going through a purple patch when chosen, So really they are merit picks a lot of the time even though they dont have great records.

Ryder was actually chosen to play in the one day team first, and his one day record was pretty poor. And he was chosen to open rather than bat at 4/5. So he would be a talent pick, especially in OD's. It was after his good one day performances against England that he got into the test side.

taylor was chosen for the test side based on talent even though his domestic first class record wasnt great. But he already has a few test centuries.

Flynn was chosen for tests based on Talent after he had a good domestic one day series. He was chosen in the test team straight away.

I was a big fan of Lou Vincent and hoped he would become a fixture in the side but IMO he just had the bad luck of being continually chosen as an opener, rather than at 4/5/6.

To be honest I cant remember Ian Butlers debut and why he was picked. He may have been one of those "Hes got talent and he has had a good 3 or 4 games in a row so we'll pick him now" ones. Half on merit and half on talent. I dont remember him as being a bad bowler or pie chucker, so i cant understand your points there. he bowled alright. I remember him getting 6 wickets against pakistan and then he just kept getting injured and broke his back. Bracewell wouldnt pick him too for a while because of the whole pea hearted situation IIRC.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Loving how a guy who hasn't played a Test and has an ordinary First Class average jumps ahead of incumbents on the back of ODI performances.

Though if How doesn't do anything great soon, I'd like to see McIntosh and Guptill together at the top of the order in Tests.
Preparing to eat my words as we speak. Though mainly my beef was Guptill somehow leapfrogging McIntosh in those line ups.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Great come back but still a low total on this track. They should have grinded the first hour and a half and then capitalised on even bounce to be some thing like 265/4 at the end of day's play. Then again, this is New Zealand - known for batting collapses at the top of the order and come backs later on.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Will give benifit of doubt one of my hyped up big 3 tonned up, Guptill was playing his first test innings so must be nervous as for Taylor he will eventually learn to be consistent too talented a player to miss out on a 40+ avg in these times.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guptill got a great ball that would have got a lot of Test batsmen out.

Evermind

International Debutant
Not a big fan of Guptill myself, but I very much enjoy watching Ryder and Taylor bat. An exciting lineup that's guaranteed to provide good entertainment over the coming decade.

When's Oram gonna be back? The big man would be very handy in the middle order, now that NZ have fewer bits-and-pieces players and are actually in need of a good all-rounder.

Speaking of all-rounders, most either lean towards the batting side (Kallis, Sobers) or the bowling side (Vettori, Hadlee).

Is Oram one of the most "balanced" all-rounders to play cricket?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Not a big fan of Guptill myself, but I very much enjoy watching Ryder and Taylor bat. An exciting lineup that's guaranteed to provide good entertainment over the coming decade.

When's Oram gonna be back? The big man would be very handy in the middle order, now that NZ have fewer bits-and-pieces players and are actually in need of a good all-rounder.

Speaking of all-rounders, most either lean towards the batting side (Kallis, Sobers) or the bowling side (Vettori, Hadlee).

Is Oram one of the most "balanced" all-rounders to play cricket?
Botham at his peak was the best case or may be Keith Miller.