• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Waqar Younis vs Ian Bishop

Better bowler in his injury free period

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I remember Patterson Thompson's final Test pretty well.

The first thing I remember about this Test was that it was Hayden's debut century [no wonder no Ambrose] and I also remember Blewett getting clean bowled for 99, Thompson was rubbish and so to were most of the other Windies.

Bevan was in his bowling prime, but I had forgotten we went into the test with just mcgrath, bichel, bevan and warne as our attack.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ha, cricinfo's little summary of him...

When he made his Test debut for the West Indies against New Zealand in Barbados in 1995-96, Patterson Thompson had a shocker. Making Devon Malcolm look like a metronome, he bowled 22 no-balls and returned match figures of 22-1-135-4 - which flattered him. He played just one more Test, in Australia the following winter, and that was that. His Test strike rate, 45.6, would do anyone proud but his economy rate, 5.65, would make even a joke bowler blush.

Obviously didn't watch these matches on account of me being three, figures like that are unheard of though... must have been a bizzare couple matches.
I saw his match in Adelaide. He arrived here with a huge rep as someone who could send the ball down really quick, remember Slater couldn't shut up about him after a tour match in the 1995 tour to the WI.

By the time he then reached Aus in 1996/97, suspect he'd piled on a few kg. With big Ambi missing the Test due to injury, the WI picked Thompson. He was quick enough but hardly lightning, probably topped-out out in the low 140's. Bowled far too short to Hayden (who, even though batting like a plodder, managed to score some quick runs late on day 1 against Thompson) and too wide to Mark Waugh. Bishop, Walsh and especially Cuffy were bowling really well so I guess they had to go after someone. Ironically, when the wheels fell of the next day for Cuffy and Bishop, Thompson cut his pace and bowled bit better. He was still a bit wide but wasn't as short at least. That Hooper bowled 30-odd overs the next day tells you useful Thompson wasn't, though.......

does all your vocabulary consist of :laugh::laugh::laugh:, serious overkill... Bish was quality, as was Waqar, it's close; no need to laugh at others opinions and not provide any insight in to why they are incorrect...
If someone needs insight about Waqar vs Bishop then he must comment on soccer.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some great Tony Grieg commentary about 2/3 of the way through - "Oh, he's hit him, he's hurt him, I've often wondered why he doesn't wear the proper protection; [distinct note of satisfaction enters voice] that one may have broken his jaw".
:laugh:

Anyway, Waqar for me. By a very small margin.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
just because i have seen more of waqar, have to rate him higher but it is interesting to speculate how good bishop could've been had it not been for career-killing injuries...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I've heard about the reasons why Waqar isn't rated as high but what about Donald? For me, he's possibly as good as anyone. Get's criminally underrated and shoved under the carpet.

Evermind

International Debutant
I've heard about the reasons why Waqar isn't rated as high but what about Donald? For me, he's possibly as good as anyone. Get's criminally underrated and shoved under the carpet.
Donald > Waqar & Bishop for me.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Top five fast men during last 25 years. I.e. McGrath, Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose and Donald

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
They were finishing there bowling careers by then IMO. So did not include them. Figure of 35 years would ahve dfinitly got them.
25 years ago was February 1984. Marshall was only just coming into his absolute peak years, and both Imran and Hadlee had plenty of wickets left in them too. Hadlee was still nearly two years away from his greatest series, when he destroyed Australia in Australia.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
25 years ago was February 1984. Marshall was only just coming into his absolute peak years, and both Imran and Hadlee had plenty of wickets left in them too. Hadlee was still nearly two years away from his greatest series, when he destroyed Australia in Australia.
Let's say then last 20 years. That will solve the problems.