• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First Class Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Given this is a First Class Draft and I'm presuming test records don't really come into it, Graeme Hick (41,112 runs @ 52.23 and 232 wickets @ 44.43) for my selection. Exclude test matches and he made 37,729 FC runs @ 55.57.

pasag

RTDAS
Given this is a First Class Draft and I'm presuming test records don't really come into it, Graeme Hick (41,112 runs @ 52.23 and 232 wickets @ 44.43) for my selection. Exclude test matches and he made 37,729 FC runs @ 55.57.
This is where I struggled - wouldn't Test records be rated more highly because of better attacks, more pressure etc? They are FC games after all, the highest form. May have been better to just do a domestic/state draft.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Test records do have to count, but given it is a first class draft the argument with Hick never really making it at test level becomes pointless.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
This is where I struggled - wouldn't Test records be rated more highly because of better attacks, more pressure etc? They are FC games after all, the highest form. May have been better to just do a domestic/state draft.
I considered the first class aspect of the draft to refer to domestic/state matches - rather than test matches - though given test matches are included amongst first class records does raise an interesting situation.

pasag

RTDAS
Test records do have to count, but given it is a first class draft the argument with Hick never really making it at test level becomes pointless.
But one could argue that the peak of FC cricket is Test cricket and not being able to make it in that format devalues a player's FC career.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the confusion, if we're selecting based on First Class cricket excluding Test cricket I'll stick with Hick, if we're including test cricket I'll select Muralitharan.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
First class cricket does include Tests matches as well, as they are included in First Class stats.

Maybe I should have put a couple more criterias to make this more interested. Do people want to start again with a few changes that have been suggested like each players has to come from a different side and only non Tests stats.

Whatever you guys will think will add to the interest? I give it 24 hours for people to come up with suggests. We will have the same order and guys can start again.

pasag

RTDAS
Would prefer eliminating Test performances. Also think pre-Packer would be more interesting where a lot more domestic cricket was played.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Would prefer eliminating Test performances. Also think pre-Packer would be more interesting where a lot more domestic cricket was played.
I actually prefer picking sides where a lot less domestic cricket was played by Internationals. The problem with pre Packer is that you will still get a lot of super star Test players and not many domestic stars. Though the likes of Kippax and O'Niell would be expectation to rule.

When did Internationals overtake the domestic fixtures. 1930s? 1950s? 1970s?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Does anyone know who has the highest batting average in FC cricket in Australia. I mean FC cricket that doesn't include Tests. Because whilst I was doing all that Ponting arguing I noticed his FC average minus his Test stats is an amazing 62.

pasag

RTDAS
Does anyone know who has the highest batting average in FC cricket in Australia. I mean FC cricket that doesn't include Tests. Because whilst I was doing all that Ponting arguing I noticed his FC average minus his Test stats is an amazing 62.
Bradman? :p

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe, must have played 100 first class matches, but less than 50 tests.
Easier to take out Test performances.

Also most guys in Sri Lanka with decent non Test batting averages haven't played 100 FC matches as there hasn't been 100 FC matches with decent tracks.

Just want to know when Test players stopped playing as regularly in domestic cricket and then we can start again. Most guys are happy with 11 different nationalities and non Test stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.