• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***World Cup 2011 Qualifiers

Which 4 countries do you think will make the cut?

• Total voters

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think there's a lot to be gained by one-sided matches for the associates either, though. Better to build confidence by winning matches against closer teams than just getting thrashed constantly. One or two matches against big teams for publicity, but not overload, because there's the T20 WC and the WC that gives that opportunity too. Perhaps more A-teams that tour England could bolt on trips to Holland and Ireland too.
Sri Lanka A have played matches against Ireland. But Ireland just sent out their A side. What is the point?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't think there's a lot to be gained by one-sided matches for the associates either, though. Better to build confidence by winning matches against closer teams than just getting thrashed constantly. One or two matches against big teams for publicity, but not overload, because there's the T20 WC and the WC that gives that opportunity too. Perhaps more A-teams that tour England could bolt on trips to Holland and Ireland too.
I think he meant that they should get a chance to play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and prove their worth; not play the top eight.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he meant that they should get a chance to play Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and prove their worth; not play the top eight.
That's what I meant. I was responding to the original comments that 3-match series against Sri Lanka, WI and England should be compulsary.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
can't remember a match between Holland and Bangladesh imho

Ireland played Bangladesh A last year and won most matches easily...Ireland wasn't on full strenght either!
EDIT: Ireland went on tour to Bangladesh in 2008 - last all 3 ODI's - fair enough.
Last time the dutch played Bangladesh was 1996

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, and they were all out for 80 against WI.

It would be good to see associates play more against bigger teams, but only if they're a sensible contest.
Won't know if the matches never happen though...

Ireland played Bangladesh A last year and won most matches easily...Ireland wasn't on full strenght either!
EDIT: Ireland went on tour to Bangladesh in 2008 - last all 3 ODI's - fair enough.

Ouch... Canada hardly get to plat West indies also

Steulen

International Regular
I'm not sure it is politically viable to increase the number of matches against Zimbabwe, actually. But surely one showcase ODI between Netherlands and England in Amsterdam shouldn't be too much to ask for a country with full ODI status?

Similarly, Bangladesh should definitely come over the next time they're scheduled to go to England.

A full strength Dutch side (including RTD, Nannes and by that time Myburgh) playing at home should be able to make it a decent contest against most nations. IIRC after the Videocon Cup Netherlands started an ODI against Pakistan and had them in some trouble before the whole thing rained off.

Perhaps some good results in the T20 WC in June will make the cricketing world take more notice of their European leper cousin.

EDIT: that Pakistan game was in 2004, so before the Dutch had ODI status, and I can't find a scorecard. Vimes, to the rescue, old boy. Monday August 30, 2004 it was, at VRA, Amstelveen.

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
and considering that when your in London, Amsterdam is probably closer then Glasgow...

it's just unfair that just because most test countries share the same roots (english,Scottish,Irish etc.) or are strongly connected to the UK, Ireland and Scotland get more games just because of this..

ooh in that sense...South Africa should def. play a few games against the Dutch..we invented a few nice words for them such as Apartheid and Boerenoorlog

Corli

U19 Cricketer
ooh in that sense...South Africa should def. play a few games against the Dutch..we invented a few nice words for them such as Apartheid and Boerenoorlog
No such word as Boerenoorlog tbh :p And anyway, we did give you a couple of players in return for using your language :)

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Won't know if the matches never happen though...

Ouch... Canada hardly get to plat West indies also
Completely off topic, but could you tell me any info on player 'James Clegg'. I accidentally stumbled accross him and found he eligible for Kenya through his mother. Made a handy century for his club in their first game of the season weekend just gone. Not entirely sure what level his club is at though.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

In our defence, it was the first time any of our side had ever been in the subcontinent and we're famously balls on low, slow pitches. And there were a fair few players out.

Not taking anything away from Bangladesh who completely outplayed us, but i don't think that tour's a fair reflection of Ireland's relative cricketing ability. They did beat Bangladesh and draw with Zimbabwe at the world cup not long beforehand.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
No such word as Boerenoorlog tbh :p And anyway, we did give you a couple of players in return for using your language :)
true! still visit us sometimes!

& Boer war (which does not make sense...should be Boeren War)

Boer war makes it look like their was just 1 farmer who started two wars haha

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
Completely off topic, but could you tell me any info on player 'James Clegg'. I accidentally stumbled accross him and found he eligible for Kenya through his mother. Made a handy century for his club in their first game of the season weekend just gone. Not entirely sure what level his club is at though.
Handy player and has considered trying to qualify for Kenya - he would still need to fulfil the residency part because he is on an English passport. Also does some coaching, so would be a handy addition to Kenyan cricket if he did decide to go through the qualification route.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
On the subject of ODIs - I think that there should definitely be more matches held between the Associates and Test teams, and the best time is as warm up games before a series between Test sides.

More importantly though, I think that the onus must also be on the top associates to organise more games v each other both at ODI level and FC level. Funding is of course the problem, but there is more money for them all now, so it is less of an excuse.

For example, where 2 teams are due to play an IC Cup match, add on 3 ODIs and possibly even a second 4 day game. Once they start doing this regularly, I think not only will standard improve due to consistent number of games, but the pleas for more games against the top teams will gain greater credence.

If we do not help ourselves, we have no right asking for help from others.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
forgot to add, the more games between associates also needs to filter down to lower age levels too, especially where Associates are in close proximity e.g the European sides (which are pretty good at this), Kenya, Uganda & Tanzania. Canada, Bermuda. Afganistan, UAE etc

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Handy player and has considered trying to qualify for Kenya - he would still need to fulfil the residency part because he is on an English passport. Also does some coaching, so would be a handy addition to Kenyan cricket if he did decide to go through the qualification route.
Thanks. Im not sure how the qualification stuff works. Is it the 183 day residency thing?