• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

howardj

International Coach
You should never read too much into tour games after teams have just hopped off the plane.

Anyway, I stand by my comments that Bollinger is a hack and it would be a big blunder to play him ahead of Hilfenhaus.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cribb to eat humble pie. McGain isn't up to it, won't matter though as we will probably play 4 quicks in the first test with North playing at 6.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Cribb to eat humble pie. McGain isn't up to it, won't matter though as we will probably play 4 quicks in the first test with North playing at 6.
Would be a dire solution.

Mcgain IS test quality, North isn't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh:

Yeah, a warmup game on a flat pitch in undeniable proof of his quality or lackthereof...

FTR it wouldn't shock me one bit if McGain failed, and that has nothing to do with this tour game "evidence". He has a lot more chance of making a significant impact with the ball than any of the other spinners (or "spinners" in the cases of Hauritz and White) though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Much better having 11 players acclimitizing to local conditions together then having just 2 out on the pitch all day.

Yeah, a warmup game on a flat pitch in undeniable proof of his quality or lackthereof...

FTR it wouldn't shock me one bit if McGain failed, and that has nothing to do with this tour game "evidence". He has a lot more chance of making a significant impact with the ball than any of the other spinners (or "spinners" in the cases of Hauritz and White) though.
The difference is that LOLMcGain is 37 yrs old whilst Krejza has some time to improve. Persisting with a 37 yr old spinner is beyond belief.

Corbin

School Boy/Girl Captain

Haha, chill. I'm just working you up!

Look at how Krejza's tour panned out, nothing stopping McGain's from doing likewise. In saying that though, I still think Hauritz will suit Australia's current needs better currently than that of McGain.

That comment is unjustified when he hasn't been given a chance at international level.
Is there any point in doing so? Hauritz is the definition of mediocrity, he definitely doesn't match the need of a wicket taking spinner. Krejza is the only spinner that is capable of that.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I was South Africa I'd be demanding the captain to keep the Aussies in the field for as long as possible. 4 of the bowlers on display in this match are going to play the first test and it's going to be a long tour, so I'd be keeping them out there for as long as possible.

Evermind

International Debutant
The difference is that LOLMcGain is 37 yrs old whilst Krejza has some time to improve. Persisting with a 37 yr old spinner is beyond belief.
I think Australia are really desperate because Krezja and Hauritz are both rubbish. I wouldn't dream of debuting a 37-year old under any other circumstances, but I think they're biding their time, waiting for someone else to emerge and will just use McGain to get through their matches with minimum of damage.

I think Australia are really desperate because Krezja and Hauritz are both rubbish. I wouldn't dream of debuting a 37-year old under any other circumstances, but I think they're biding their time, waiting for someone else to emerge and will just use McGain to get through their matches with minimum of damage.
:unsure:

howardj

International Coach
Players treat these first-up tour games as a chance to acclimatise and stretch their legs - nothing much more. Sort of like your lazy walk along the beach straight after you check-in at a resort.