• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Julian87

State Captain
Bowling isn't our only problem, though. We were saved more than once or twice against RSA because the tail wagged hard. McDonald seems like a selection which tries to address our bowling problems, but does little to address the issues with our batting lineup.
I may be ignorant on this issue, but Symonds was the only bloke in the top 7 you could drop IMO. The only reason Hussey or someone similar isn't picked as #6 is because or bowling was so poor, which is a little sad.

But we won our only test with McDonald in the side, he took some handy wickets too.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To make the best of a mixed selection we should pick:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
McGain
Siddle
Hilfenhaus

McDonald doesn't have enough with both bat and ball (from looking at him FC cricket) to secure a spot compared to North who's better with the bat and adds a handy spin option. Don't know why they ignored David Hussey who's better than North with the bat.

If Johnson is out of form, or in usual spraying fashion, give Bollinger his spot, a proper swing bowler.
Thanks for confirming you know little about cricket. 4 debutants, and you also seriously consider dropping the best/most experience bowler in an extremely inexperienced and unproven lineup. Nice work, should apply for Andrew Hilditch's job really, Australia would be so much better off.

Mister Wright

I don't mind the squad tbh. Just glad Dussey didn't get picked. Disappointed for Noffke, but with recent injury, don't think he was a realistic chance. Glad that Hauritz has been retained.

howardj

International Coach
Thanks for confirming you know little about cricket. 4 debutants, and you also seriously consider dropping the best/most experience bowler in an extremely inexperienced and unproven lineup. Nice work, should apply for Andrew Hilditch's job really, Australia would be so much better off.
I guess we can't all be towering intellects like your good self. I mean, to rate Bollinger as the best and most experienced bowler in the squad hardly stamps your cricketing credentials. In my opinion, Bollinger is somewhat of a hack; a cult figure; and is not fit to tie Johnson's training, let alone match day, boots.

BAM

jondavluc

State Regular
To howardj

Posted by Inbox

If Johnson is out of form, or in usual spraying fashion, give Bollinger his spot, a proper swing bowler.
Posted by Clapo

you also seriously consider dropping the best/most experience bowler in an extremely inexperienced and unproven lineup
I haven't really got much else to say.:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Settle down guys.

Bowling isn't our only problem, though. We were saved more than once or twice against RSA because the tail wagged hard. McDonald seems like a selection which tries to address our bowling problems, but does little to address the issues with our batting lineup.
The batting issue, IMO, has occurred because of the lack of faith in the bowling (ie the extra pressure that if we don't score the bowlers wont be able to bail us out and also it doesn't matter how much we score the bowlers won't be able to take 20 wickets) but more importantly fatigue from spending hours on end chasing leather. Get the bowling right and the batting will click again, IMO.

Johnners

Has any Test squad seen anything like this in recent times:

Ricky Ponting - 128 Tests
Michael Clarke - 44 Tests
Simon Katich - 35 Tests
Michael Hussey - 34 Tests
Mitchell Johnson - 18 Tests
Brad Haddin - 12 Tests
Nathan Hauritz - 4 Tests
Peter Siddle - 4 Test
Doug Bollinger - 1 Test
Andrew McDonald - 1 Test
Bryce McGain - 0 Tests
Ben Hilfenhaus - 0 Tests
Marcus North - 0 Tests
Phillip Hughes - 0 Tests
Pretty amazing really, 8 players who have just 10 test matches between them. Quite excited to see how well they can perform actually.

inbox24

International Debutant
Which most experienced bowler did I drop? So what if I pick four debutants? Who would you have gone with? Hmm lemme guess, McDonald, Bollinger? These two guys have a combined 2 tests worth of international experience, almost debutants.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think McDonalds batting is slightly underrated. He should as others have suggested possibly bat at 7 behind Haddin though. I get the feeling that he's similar to Shaun Pollock, tall at the crease and plays some nice classical shots.

I would be picking him over North for the First Test match, as currently our batting is stronger then our bowling as Pasag and others have said too.

North and Hauritz to miss out, and depending on who ever performs better in warm up/nets between Bollinger and Hilfenhaus should get the gig.

Johnners

Which most experienced bowler did I drop? So what if I pick four debutants? Who would you have gone with? Hmm lemme guess, McDonald, Bollinger? These two guys have a combined 2 tests worth of international experience, almost debutants.
Key word being "consider" ;)

I mean, the disregard you continue to show to what Johnson has done is beyond belief really. The most important thing is, he's been taking wickets, and far more consistently than any other Australia bowler, and you talk about dropping him at a moments notice if he has 1 bad game (thats how I interpreted your comment anyway), despite doing a more than commendable job carrying the bowling attack the entire Australian summer.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Has any Test squad seen anything like this in recent times:

Ricky Ponting - 128 Tests
Michael Clarke - 44 Tests
Simon Katich - 35 Tests
Michael Hussey - 34 Tests
Mitchell Johnson - 18 Tests
Brad Haddin - 12 Tests
Nathan Hauritz - 4 Tests
Peter Siddle - 4 Test
Doug Bollinger - 1 Test
Andrew McDonald - 1 Test
Bryce McGain - 0 Tests
Ben Hilfenhaus - 0 Tests
Marcus North - 0 Tests
Phillip Hughes - 0 Tests
Last time was probably circa 1986 when AB had more tests than the other 10 guys put together...

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Sorry, not good enough for us.
New Zealand batsmen in first class cricket:

Tim McIntosh: 4257 runs avg 35.18
Jamie How: 4159 runs avg 33.27
Daniel Flynn: 1816 runs avg 33.62
Ross Taylor; 3374 runs, avg 36.67
Jesse Ryder: 2909 runs, avg 42.77
Brendan McCullum: 4325 runs, avg 33.26

Andrew McDonald 2067 runs, avg 37.58

Oh he's good enough for you - good enough to get picked as one of your top 6 batsman with ease - even if he doesn't bowl.

social

New Zealand batsmen in first class cricket:

Tim McIntosh: 4257 runs avg 35.18
Jamie How: 4159 runs avg 33.27
Daniel Flynn: 1816 runs avg 33.62
Ross Taylor; 3374 runs, avg 36.67
Jesse Ryder: 2909 runs, avg 42.77
Brendan McCullum: 4325 runs, avg 33.26

Andrew McDonald 2067 runs, avg 37.58

Oh he's good enough for you - good enough to get picked as one of your top 6 batsman with ease - even if he doesn't bowl.
OZ fc cricket is played on roads so discount the figures

He's a solid 7 and underrated bowler

Having said that, he appears level headed, could be a good contributor at test level and "may" be what Oz needs at present