• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Cricket news/views

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
That avatar is throwing me horribly - GIMH was also using it at some point this week, right?
Still is using it I believe. Just found it amusing that you would confuse a post containing no profanities and/or a mention of GnR to be Corrin's.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Cricinfo - Asif banned for one year by IPL

another stupied bann on asif..

for the love of god.. Gavasker was one of the judges lol.. i guess it is good to be racist sometimes.. you get to be judges...
One year ban is very lenient considering it was Asif's second offense. Not to forget the fact that he is not going to be affected by the ban anyway a. because the ban is effective from Sep'08, which means almost 6 months have already passed b. He is not playing in the 2009 IPL anyway.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Why is the ban stupid?
Because he is geting away with it easily.. i mean comon.. a year ban and half of it is gone and pakistani team is barely scheduled for any international matches for the other half.. so it means he would be back by Aus Tour.. which is in december.. so he isn't missing much..

Arguably the most stupidest post ever in the history of CW.
R you implying that i called Gavasker racist and that makes this post "stupidest post in the history of CW'?

One year ban is very lenient considering it was Asif's second offense. Not to forget the fact that he is not going to be affected by the ban anyway a. because the ban is effective from Sep'08, which means almost 6 months have already passed b. He is not playing in the 2009 IPL anyway.
I agree that is why i am saying it is a stupied ban..

Fusion

Global Moderator
Because he is geting away with it easily.. i mean comon.. a year ban and half of it is gone and pakistani team is barely scheduled for any international matches for the other half.. so it means he would be back by Aus Tour.. which is in december.. so he isn't missing much..
Ah I see. Thought you meant the other way around. Totally agree with you on this. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because he is geting away with it easily.. i mean comon.. a year ban and half of it is gone and pakistani team is barely scheduled for any international matches for the other half.. so it means he would be back by Aus Tour.. which is in december.. so he isn't missing much....
What has an IPL ban got to do with Aussie tour or with any other International tour ? Gavaskar or IPL do not have the right to restrict Asif from playing, PCB does and guess what 'We can do no wrong' PCB did ? They decided against banning the guy.

If you are going to post crap fine, but at least do not flip flop after people question you. You definitely meant to criticize the ban and also took another swipe at calling name to Gavaskar.

haroon510

International 12th Man
What has an IPL ban got to do with Aussie tour or with any other International tour ? Gavaskar or IPL do not have the right to restrict Asif from playing, PCB does and guess what 'We can do no wrong' PCB did ? They decided against banning the guy.

If you are going to post crap fine, but at least do not flip flop after people question you. You definitely meant to criticize the ban and also took another swipe at calling name to Gavaskar.
when i said that he will tour Aus.. i meant to say that pakistan is schueduled to tour Aus in December of this year.. by then he is free to play..which is wrong.. a year ban and considering that half of it is gone doesn't justify what he commited..

if you read my preivous post.. i have said that i am not happy with this ban and i am calling it stupied for that reason.. i am saying it again.. he should have been ban more than a year..

Gavasker's case is different.. i just felt like how someone of his charactor can do justice considering his personality and believes.. now whatever you wana make out of this is your take..and views..

Precambrian

Banned

PCB's decision is yet to be made, the enquiry is under way.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
when i said that he will tour Aus.. i meant to say that pakistan is schueduled to tour Aus in December of this year.. by then he is free to play..which is wrong.. a year ban and considering that half of it is gone doesn't justify what he commited.
IPL ban has no effect on any other tour except IPL itself. Whether he plays against the Aussies or anyone else has to be decided by PCB. If Australia tours now, Asif is free to play if PCB picks him.

if you read my preivous post.. i have said that i am not happy with this ban and i am calling it stupied for that reason.. i am saying it again.. he should have been ban more than a year..
That is a call PCB has to make.

Gavasker's case is different.. i just felt like how someone of his charactor can do justice considering his personality and believes.. now whatever you wana make out of this is your take..and views..
So are you suggesting that he didn't do justice to Asif by handing out a 1 year ban ? Just so you know Gavaskar wasn't the only one in the panel.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
PCB's decision is yet to be made, the enquiry is under way.
Maybe True. I read this report though :-

No PCB ban for Asif- Hindustan Times

Ijaz Butt :-

“Asif was banned from all cricket activities after he tested positive for nandrolone and it was decided that he would be barred from any activity related with PCB, ICC or ICC members until a final decision was reached. We are happy the IPL has come out with its verdict and we will consider him for selection as soon as he finishes the ban period,” Butt said.
“It was the IPL’s call to decide Asif’s fate. We can’t punish Asif twice for the same mistake.”

haroon510

International 12th Man
So are you suggesting that he didn't do justice to Asif by handing out a 1 year ban ? Just so you know Gavaskar wasn't the only one in the panel.
noo .. i just think it is not fair to have Gavasker to judge players behavior considering his personality and the history of his behavior..

Maybe True. I read this report though :-

No PCB ban for Asif- Hindustan Times

Ijaz Butt :-

“Asif was banned from all cricket activities after he tested positive for nandrolone and it was decided that he would be barred from any activity related with PCB, ICC or ICC members until a final decision was reached. We are happy the IPL has come out with its verdict and we will consider him for selection as soon as he finishes the ban period,” Butt said.
“It was the IPL’s call to decide Asif’s fate. We can’t punish Asif twice for the same mistake.”
well that is what i assumed after i read the ban of IPL.. PCB isn't going to take further action so he is free to play cricket after september.. and considering the atitude of PCB from that news.. it seems like he will get selected for Aus tour in December..

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
noo .. i just think it is not fair to have Gavasker to judge players behavior considering his personality and the history of his behavior...
So what is his personality and do let us know the history of his behaviour.

Besides he was not judging Asif's behaviour, He (along with other members of the tribunal) was merely announcing the ban. Besides If anyone has a problem with Gavaskar , then they should stay away from Indian Cricket in any form because Gavaskar is a huge part of Indian Cricket and argubly the Greatest Indian Sportsman (not just cricketer).

haroon510

International 12th Man
So what is his personality and do let us know the history of his behaviour.

Besides he was not judging Asif's behaviour, He (along with other members of the tribunal) was merely announcing the ban. Besides If anyone has a problem with Gavaskar , then they should stay away from Indian Cricket in any form because Gavaskar is a huge part of Indian Cricket and argubly the Greatest Indian Sportsman (not just cricketer).
i think you r insulting the Indian cricket and sports by saying he is the greatest sportsman in the history of Indian sport..it is all good.. but just to let you know it isn't good to associate your countries sport with such characters as sunil gavaskar..

i was trying to find some of his racial comments that once someone posted in one of the topics. these racial and obnoxious words were used against West indies players .. i can refer to one of them when he called them that they deserve to be in jungles since they are not civilized..these things all prove how narrow minded he is and has no respect for other players... then how can he be the greatest sportsman when he doesn't have the decency to show the same sportsmanship to west indies players.. oh wait because they are not indian.. or maybe different skin color..

i recall this match where i believe is a case of under performance that one can make.. it was 1975 against England and he scored 36 in 174 deliveries..

Cricinfo - 1st Match: England v India at Lord's, Jun 7, 1975

Rumors have it that sunil wasn't happy with Srinivas Venkataraghavan being the captain and he under performed.. so much for calling him the greatest sportsmanship..

this could be a rumor but again that is the only logical explanation and reason one can come up with..

afew years after that world cup in 80s he was accused of defecting world series cup and lost the captaincy to Srinivas Venkataraghavan.. because of that..

for people who are forgetting.. there was an incident in Melbourne Cricket Ground around around 80s.. when he was given out by umpire and he walked away and leaving the cricket ground with other batsman in protest..

and many other controversies that i can't remember right now..these all prove that he has never been a good sportsman.. maybe you think that way because you approve of such acts..i personally don't..

before u jump on me.. i want to make this clear that some of the pakistani cricketers and Aus have been my favorite cricketers.. and i never rate them one of the greatest sportmans in the game despite being good players.. for the same conterversial reasons..

I am a big fan of Tony Graig when it comes to commentating and i always listen to his show in cricinfo.com.. one of the main problems that i have with Tony is that he sometimes criticize players on their off field and on field activities .. that never sounded appealing to me because if we go back and check.. he himself had the same problems when he was playing cricket..so it doesn't sound fair..

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i think you r insulting the Indian cricket and sports by saying he is the greatest sportsman in the history of Indian sport..it is all good.. but just to let you know it isn't good to associate your countries sport with such characters as sunil gavaskar....
8-)8-) What Nonsense is this ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i was trying to find some of his racial comments that once someone posted in one of the topics. these racial and obnoxious words were used against West indies players .. i can refer to one of them when he called them that they deserve to be in jungles since they are not civilized..these things all prove how narrow minded he is and has no respect for other players... then how can he be the greatest sportsman when he doesn't have the decency to show the same sportsmanship to west indies players.. oh wait because they are not indian.. or maybe different skin color....
Little knowledge is a very dangerous thing. Please do read the context of what was said and about whom.

Cricinfo - Gavaskar's double role

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
i recall this match where i believe is a case of under performance that one can make.. it was 1975 against England and he scored 36 in 174 deliveries..

Cricinfo - 1st Match: England v India at Lord's, Jun 7, 1975

Rumors have it that sunil wasn't happy with Srinivas Venkataraghavan being the captain and he under performed.. so much for calling him the greatest sportsmanship..

this could be a rumor but again that is the only logical explanation and reason one can come up with..

afew years after that world cup in 80s he was accused of defecting world series cup and lost the captaincy to Srinivas Venkataraghavan.. because of that..
So I have to believe those rumours now as opposed to someone who represented India for almost 20 years and had an outstanding record as a cricketer.

for people who are forgetting.. there was an incident in Melbourne Cricket Ground around around 80s.. when he was given out by umpire and he walked away and leaving the cricket ground with other batsman in protest..
Another misinformation. He wasn't protesting the umpire but what was said to him afterwords, not acceptable but hardly something that diminishes his career.