• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shock performances

Xuhaib

International Coach
Today's Murali 33* (16) in a pressure situation in a low scoring game was surely one of the wtf? moment in cricket, so what other performances on the field really shocked the hell out of you and made you go WTF!!!

Mine would be

Kolkatta turnaround courtesy Laxman-Dravid-Harbhan.
434 chase.
Gillispie 200.
Doug Marillier 60 of 20 odd balls to win a random ODI against India
Till then a mediocre Shoaib cleaning up Dravid & Sachin in consecutive deliveries.

I am sure there must be plenty more that are escaping my mind.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Even though it didn't win a game, Southee's 70-odd in a Test.
Michael Clarke's 6/9. Part time bowlers aren't supposed to get five wicket hauls, let alone those sort of figures.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Clarke's three wickets at the SCG. Lots of other things going on obv., but that was in the end a match-winning spell from a part-timer.

Andy Bichel for the whole 2003 WC.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Steyn with the bat at the MCG.

Jerome Taylor's century against New Zealand was also pretty bizzare.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The end of the '99 WC semi-final. Pretty much the whole game actually, but South Africa managing to mess up needing 1 run was a "wtf?" moment.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
New Zealand chasing down 350 regularly against Australia, and only Australia. More of a sustained, duller "wtf?".

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
-Australia chasing down 404 to beat England in less than a day on a 6th day wicket in 1948
-1902 - England collapsing from 92-3 to 120 all out to give Australia the test and the ashes by 3 runs
- 1956 - NZ beating the West Indies to gain their 1st test victory while missing Bert Suttcliffe

Xuhaib

International Coach
During my high school days when we use to play cricket almost 12 hours a day atleast 5 days a week, in one of our games against a rival neighborhood's team we were chasing 255 and we slipped to 143/9 and then our 10 & 11 shared an unbroken 113 run partnership to win us the game, the best part is I had never seen those two get more then 5 before or after this game. This was simply the best 'wtf?' moment for me.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard AB was quite test class but criminally under bowled himself due to extra pressure from his batting
AB was definitely a better bowler than he gave himself credit for, and should have done a lot more Test bowling.

That being said, it's still a shock to see that the best ever Test match figures by an Australian captain belong to Alan Border!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
West Indies' successful run chase against England in the Champions Trophy final in 2004.

Gary Kirsten and Monde Zondeki adding a stupid number of runs against England in the 4th(?) Test in 2003. England had the Saffers at about 150odd for 7 iirc, and Kirsten and Zondeki calmly added 150 for the 8th wicket, including Zondeki shattering his own previous career best First Class score.

indian_legend

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Sri Lanka collapsing to 6/5 against Bangladesh earlier today & still winning

Bangladesh nearly chasing down 521 against Sri Lanka despite failing to cross 250 regularly in tests and they made 413 on a 5th & 6th day pitch against Sri Lanka in that innings

Duminy-Steyn 9th wicket partnership in the 2nd test to win it for South Africa

krkode

State Captain
World Cup 1983. :happy: Although I wasn't watching cricket at the time, let alone being alive. I'm sure it came as a shock to people.

To me, personally, besides some that have already been mentioned, I personally went WTF when Kumble took 10/74.

There was also one game against Sri Lanka where Agarkar hit a little cameo, sort of in the vein of what Murali did yesterday. He hit a couple of big sixes and won us the game from us needing 26 to win off 12 or 14 balls or something like that.

Chanderpaul four and a six off the last two balls to win an ODI against Sri Lanka.

Ricardo Powell smashing India around like we were minnows. That whole series was kind of embarrassing to recall.

Another one I didn't watch, but I'm sure Afridi turned a few heads when he made the century off 37 balls on his batting debut.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
World Cup 1983. :happy: Although I wasn't watching cricket at the time, let alone being alive. I'm sure it came as a shock to people.

To me, personally, besides some that have already been mentioned, I personally went WTF when Kumble took 10/74.

There was also one game against Sri Lanka where Agarkar hit a little cameo, sort of in the vein of what Murali did yesterday. He hit a couple of big sixes and won us the game from us needing 26 to win off 12 or 14 balls or something like that.

Chanderpaul four and a six off the last two balls to win an ODI against Sri Lanka.

Chanders would be one of the few guys you would back to pull it off.

Xuhaib

International Coach
wtf? of a different kind.

In an ongoing domestic tournament in Pakistan Kaneria who is the skipper bowled Abdur Rehman who is his nearest rival for test place just a single over on a turning track, seriously Rehman needs to find himself a different team if he wants to get some bowling in:laugh:.