Thread: Wisden Cricketer

School Boy/Girl Captain

Wisden Cricketer

I was just wondering(sorry if this has already been discussed) what people think about the merger of the two cricketing magazines. Personally i'm not that happy. I am a huge fan of WCM and think it is an excellently written and produced magazine. However out of interest at the future merger i bought the Cricketer to see waht i might be expecting. I have to say im a bit worried. Seeing Peter Roebuck writing was just about the worse start possible(how can anyone be paid for being so wrong everytime he writes!).However on the whole i got the impression that the magazine is well, too much in the EW Swanton school of cricket writing. Im not a fan frankly, its 2003 now the game has moved on since the 1950's. Interested to know what everyone else thinks but im hoping it goes in the same vain as WCM myself.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    We did discuss it elsewhere, and we came to the conclusion that they are terrified of CricketWeb.

Seriously, I don't read either any more because I think that they are, well, rubbish - very poorly written in the main.

WCM 3/10
    Cricketer -3/10

Average - 0/10

But that's just my opinion.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    WCM did have a superb report the other month though...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Originally posted by marc71178
    WCM did have a superb report the other month though...
    No doubt.

I used to get both mags on occasion (usually when travelling), but I lost quite a bit of interest in buying magazines with the advent of the internet.

Now, the only monthly I get is Mensa - and that's free to members.

I must admit to getting both still, there are some good articles - Marcus Berkmenn always raises a smile, and there's a contact for him - LE, think he might like, and push forward into worldwide fame, the duck?

Also get that new PCA mag - anyone else get that?

There's a thought.

When we've been going a few more weeks, there's a possibility I might look along those lines.

I'm not sure whether they (Wisden) would look upon us as fellow cricket lovers or rivals.

I'll dip my toe in, as I've said, in a few weeks. If we get rebuffed, fine - then it'll be open Berkmann season.

Rain Men indeed. John Kettley will be turning in his grave (if he were dead, hadn't been cremated and had been impaled on a rotisserie).

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah Marcus Berkmann is funny, and the writing isnt bad in WCM... The cricketer is bigger and better, with more news from around the world and english leagues, so hopefully the merger will make a happy medium
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Hexxagon Champion!
    what seems silly is Wisdens insistence on according the status of cricketer of the year on any single player only once....

Sample this..."this year it was a toss up between Michael Vaughn and Rahul Dravid.But Rahul Dravid had already been cricketer of the year ni 2000....."

Millhouse: you know when your dog ate my goldfish bart and you told me i never had a goldfish, then why did i have the bowl bart! why did i have the bowl!!!!
    Karthik_moo@hotmail.com
    Member of the MSC and the AAAS
    Wanna Search ?
    Waughney : We are well taken care of here at the Rehab centre.

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by orangepitch
    what seems silly is Wisdens insistence on according the status of cricketer of the year on any single player only once....

Sample this..."this year it was a toss up between Michael Vaughn and Rahul Dravid.But Rahul Dravid had already been cricketer of the year ni 2000....."

What the hell is that on your signature????? Could you possibly make it any bigger? sheesh im goin to have to get broadband

Originally posted by orangepitch

It's tradition, and if greats like Bradman only won it once, I see no reason to change it now.

Originally posted by marc71178
    It's tradition, and if greats like Bradman only won it once, I see no reason to change it now.
    If the tradition is stupid(and it definitely is), there's all the more reason to change it....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

But why is it stupid?

And why should it change?

To me it is disrespectful to the greats over the years if you get today's cricketers gaining this award on multiple occasions.

Thread Information